The Unholy Consult SPOILER thread

kuenjato

13 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Again, to bring in Star Wars - at the end of Empire we didn't know that we would be calling something 'return of the Jedi' but we knew that we'd be looking for Han and we'd be getting some resolution to Luke and Vader.

There's more Nonmen somewhere, presumably somewhat intact? Perhaps even females who declined the inoculation?

I tried to post an answer yesterday but the board went nuts and ate it. Try again.

IMO, this isn't even remotely a challenge; it's Serwa. And this is before anything in TUC. She is the most competent, the strongest in ability and logic, the most able to withstand damage, the most able to do what needs to be done. She has her father's intelligence and her mother's ability to take what is given. 

Serwa I feel emerges as the most badass character of the series, with some interesting development in the last two volumes. I think Scott missed a trick by not having her more in TJE and TWLW, as it stands she does suddenly jump from a background character to a major player a bit abruptly.

She also gets the best scenes in TUC, for my money, as well as the most random.

et al; now that y'all have finished the aspect emperor arc... do you feel it has given you any insight or guesses on what tstsnbn might be called? 

Yeah, but only after discussing it with other people. It certainly isn't immediately obvious (as Scott indicated it might be).

There's more Nonmen somewhere, presumably somewhat intact? Perhaps even females who declined the inoculation?

Unless Illisseru founded an overseas colony somewhere, it seems highly unlikely. We get more info on the the Nonman diaspora across Earwa in the glossary and their population pressures and need to expand/colonise were very low, so they all seem to have been in Earwa in the Nine Mansions and the smaller vassal-mansions around them.

there is very little doubt about what the next series will be about

I don't think there's any doubt about what it will be about but I can see several different approaches which would be valid:

In particular, the third series could start immediately after TUC, five years later or twenty, depending on what circumstances Scott wants to employ.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

Serwa I feel emerges as the most badass character of the series, with some interesting development in the last two volumes. I think Scott missed a trick by not having her more in TJE and TWLW, as it stands she does suddenly jump from a background character to a major player a bit abruptly.

Hide contents

She also gets the best scenes in TUC, for my money, as well as the most random.

I agree with the first part entirely, and this is true for a whole lot of the characters in general. Theliopia is a great example of this - her conflict with Kelmomas is observed in the same half-book that she ends up fighting with and dying, and she would have been much better served having some of this established earlier. Serwa doesn't get nearly as much chance to shine until TGO and then it's a big leap in what she does in TUC. She could have really used something like what Akka got with the library in TWP.

Also

Spoiler

She did have my favorite individual sequence in TUC as well, though boy the dialog in it is horrible.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

I don't think there's any doubt about what it will be about but I can see several different approaches which would be valid:

Hide contents

In particular, the third series could start immediately after TUC, five years later or twenty, depending on what circumstances Scott wants to employ.

Spoiler

That's sort of what I was alluding to as well, though it's hard for me to imagine something going too far from the finish of TUC. I don't think we'll have the kind of jump that we had between TTT and TJE. 

30 minutes ago, odium said:

I'm still curious:

What is everyone's interpretation of "to the Idol more fearsome than its God." in the opening to the first chapter?

I guess if the Ark is the 'idol' then the Inchies are 'its God' (or fear of damnation is the God?  Goad?)

Seems like the verse is basically saying that the threat if damnation is a rumor, but the death that awaits at the Ark is the real danger?  

Archived