Bakker XLIX - From Bashrags to Riches (No TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

Just now, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Oh snap! Didn't I address that in the paragraph you left out?

Not particularly; you said it 'exists'. And really, someone working on something (or even better, simply stating that they're working on something) is not evidence of its existence or that it will ever come out in our lifetime. It doesn't even exist for Bakker yet other than ideas. 

21 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

Regardless of whether (or when) the third series is published it sounds like tUC will wrap up the major questions to a sufficient extent where most readers should be satisfied so I am not going to worry about the existence of a third series just yet. 

Spoiler

Lol, that doesn't happen.

19 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Not particularly; you said it 'exists'. And really, someone working on something (or even better, simply stating that they're working on something) is not evidence of its existence or that it will ever come out in our lifetime. It doesn't even exist for Bakker yet other than ideas. 

Fair enough. I think that we'll see it and not long from now, relatively. Just my opinion. I will say, that when Bakker gives us info on where he is at and where the publishing process is, its been pretty straightforward and the truth. Besides him not saying that TUC was spilt and he couldn't say anything because of contractual issues.

So, if he says he's starting on it and has a lot of notes as well, I give him the benefit of doubt.

Regardless, I settle for TUC atm anyway. I'm sure there will be a lot to digest.

According to Bakker, this is penultimate book in The Aspect-Emperor series?! I thought that this is the last one, and that the next book will be a part of the new sub-series?

Edit:

Ok, I just saw the comments where this is clarified.

Does anyone remember the passage in Chapter 9 of The Judging Eye, the one with "a life forgotten," from Psatma's perspective? I don't really get what is going on, so I was hoping someone could give me a rundown of what is actually going on in that scene. That is where I am in the books, so I don't want spoilers past that point.

12 minutes ago, YoungBoulheim said:

Does anyone remember the passage in Chapter 9 of The Judging Eye, the one with "a life forgotten," from Psatma's perspective? I don't really get what is going on, so I was hoping someone could give me a rundown of what is actually going on in that scene. That is where I am in the books, so I don't want spoilers past that point.

Without spoilers past that point, it's hard to say much about it, save that a person is becoming the White Luck Warrior, and that person is associated very heavily with gods and their making their will on the world. Part of the White Luck is, well, having the outcome that is needed for success happen every single time. In this case, when this man with a wife and child became the White Luck, he forgot his old life - it was meaningless - and walked out, and did so at precisely the right time as the building his family lived in (along with many others) collapsed and was destroyed. He then encountered Psatma at precisely the right time as he tossed a coin in such a way that it caught her eye, as it absolutely needed to do. 

3 hours ago, YoungBoulheim said:

It’s not Psatma’s perspective, but the WLW’s.

Here goes.

A life lived, now forgotten.

We are in the head of a young Iothian male. (Let me call him WLW.) WLW is with his wife and newborn child. The passage starts at the moment he forgets his old life, to the consternation of his his wife. WLW is acting weird, probably looking very remote, she is understandably concerned. I assume that just seconds before the passage begins, they were joking or adoring their newborn.

Concern clouding her dark eyes. […]

“Love? Are you okay?”

You look like you’re dreaming…

The passages in italics are her inner monologue.

Wake up, please! You’re scaring me!

WLW leaves the building and his shrieking woman behind. The building collapses (because of a bad transaction centuries past.) 

WLW walks through the great agora of Iothia. Psatma is sitting there, she looks up and sees him.

Psatma’s eyes become infantile with wonder, because she recognises the young man as WLW incarnated. Finally some action!

Another sentence in italics:

Praise be our Mother.

Unclear who that belongs to, could be Psatma’s, could be WLW, could be both. The bondaries of consciousness are very unclear for the WLW, as are time.

Psatma begins to cry, so moved is she. Compassionate tears for a life forgotten (the original life of WLW, which was given/taken). Tears of joy for the WLW, because the Mother has heard, and the false Demon Emperor’s white behind can finally be kicked.

That is very nice. Great work.

Very nice image of an Inchoroi, The Nonman immediately reminds me of the Engineers from the new Alien films and I assume that is Kellhus towards the end, in the air blazing light from both palms.

On a complete tangent away from TUC buildup, doing a reread of "the false sun" and was wondering was any consensus reached, or what were the main theories from the resident bakker experts for why Titirga's mark is different, or less "damnationy" than the average sorceror? Was it his apparently close connection to the non-men putting him on track to be able to evade the ciphrangs of the outside and escape to oblivion? I note Shaenonra describes some of his mannerisms as non-man. Its also hinted that he was some sort of savant in terms of the gnosis, a natural genius, some way connected to his apparent blindness as a child. Could this mean that he had a level of ignorance when it came to the meanings required in this universe to do magic, that his sorcery was in some sense instinctual, not consciously grasped? And in this universe ignorance  can = innocence, thus not damned?

On The Second Apocalypse forum Bakker answers a question about Titurga like this:

"Little is known of Titirga's extraordinary gifts. Though various accounts reference instances that seem to support the notion that he somehow anticipated the Psukhe, idiosyncrasies abound in the descriptions of sorcery in the time of Ancient Umerau."

Given the idea that he was blind as a child, I'd say he was partly to a Cesaurim, aping God's tone and thus avoiding the bruise of damnation.

Yeah, Titirga appears to have found a way of using the Gnosis and Psukhe together, which explains how he was so powerful when he (apparently) couldn't wield the Metagnosis.

It's always interesting the theme of how, in the magic, Intellect is judged, but Passion is witless, so Passion avoids judgement through sheer witlessness. A kind of anti intellectualism, which is only possible due to intellectualism (Intellectualism can detect aberrations in itself, Passion cannot)

Archived