Bakker XLIX - From Bashrags to Riches (No TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

On 22-7-2017 at 3:59 AM, Ghjhero said:

Bakker will be having a second AMA on Reddit on August 2nd and will be discussing things related to all 7 books. 

For those who ordered from Book Depository, was there a way for you to track you package? I was expecting mine to arrive today, but no luck. Maybe tomorrow or Monday at the latest hopefully. 

I also ordered through Book Depository but there is no tracking option and the book is of course long in arriving, as deliveries from Book Depository often are. I only ordered through them because they had in stock ( the hardcover) two weeks before Amazon. com's July 25th date, but it hasn't arrived yet. Presumably in the next few days...

I'm just starting TUC and had a quick question (this would help me avoid a re-read!): what is the nutshell character arc of Malowebi so far? I think I glossed over a lot of his chapters in the previous three books on account of general dislike of the Momemn/Pstama/Fanayal story.

He's a cousin of the Zeumi king and a sorcerer, sent as an observer or diplomat to Fanayal.   He relays Fanayal's successes to Zeum and the Satakhan decides to support Fanayal (though afaik, he doesn't actually send any men or attack the New Empire).  He accompanies Fanayal's attack on Momems, gets beheaded and attached to Kellhus' belt. 

29 minutes ago, Ajûrbkli said:

He's a cousin of the Zeumi king and a sorcerer, sent as an observer or diplomat to Fanayal.   He relays Fanayal's successes to Zeum and the Satakhan decides to support Fanayal (though afaik, he doesn't actually send any men or attack the New Empire).  He accompanies Fanayal's attack on Momems, gets beheaded and attached to Kellhus' belt. 

Thanks for that. And Likaro was...some random courtier who schemed to get Malowebi the role as diplomat?

2 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Anyway, question for folks who've read it: Should I read the Atrocity Tales before starting TUC?

Makes no big difference, plot-wise, and contains no spoilers at all.

I love the False Sun, which was published years ago, and can be read in or out of order. 

I weakly suggest you read it first. The other tale makes no matter at all. 

10 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I don't know why in the sweet name of fuck I would decide to re-read Dune a week before TUC comes out. Book just arrived on my doorstop, and Muad'Dib is only now getting his prescient on...

Anyway, question for folks who've read it: Should I read the Atrocity Tales before starting TUC?

Reading The False Sun would help you understand certain things near the end.

On 7/23/2017 at 9:24 PM, Lies And Perfidy said:

Yeah, I got mine on Friday, right at the end of Book Depository's 8-business-day window.

Mine of course is not just late, but extra late. Beyond their maximum of 8 business days.

This really annoys me about Book depository and it is why I never order from the anymore the last few years.

Their shipping method is very cheap and slow, no tracking and it takes a long time. I thought a two week window would be sufficient but even that's too much for them. Typical Book Depository. It ships from the UK and I live close to it, a similar delivery from Amazon always arrives in 3 days.

The false sun is supposed to contain spoilers, but Scott's own word. But I suspect like the answer to a riddle is glaringly obvious once you know it, the 'spoilers' leap out at him but wont for most readers. Didn't for me, anyway.

There is an obvious and kind of big "world building" spoiler in the False Sun. A thing/person is mentioned by name in PoN but nothing about it is actually explained, until the last few chapters of TUC. If you want to go into TUC not knowing anything about it and get the full story there, then don't read The False Sun.

16 minutes ago, End of Disc One said:

Didn't someone say that the False Sun doesn't make sense unless you read the color coded version that a fan came up with?  Does anyone have that?  I googled it but couldn't find it.

You're thinking of Four Revelations, not False Sun. Here's a link to the color coded version

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of The White-Luck Warrior, and there's a scene that is completely baffling me. Like, I have not the first inkling whatsoever of what is going on. I might as well have skipped the exchange for how little clarity there is.

It's right after Maithanet kills Inrilatas, and Esmenet is sitting over his body, talking to Maithanet. She starts by saying "Before, I knew I could defeat you." This is the start of me being totally lost, and not a single word for the rest of the scene makes anything any clearer for me. The part that loses the most by far, though, is:

"I was so willing, Maitha. And I knew you would see...see this in me, realize that I would let all Empire burn to war against you, and that you would capitulate the way all the others have capitulated to my sovereign will."

Could someone explain to me what Esmenet is saying to Maithanet here in this scene, including the "vulnerability of the Dunyain thing"? And the "you need only be willing to sacrifice yourself"? Seriously, the only meaning I am getting out of this exchange is "I am angry that you killed my son." Nothing more.

I have only read to the end of the chapter, where she asks Sankas for an assassin. Nothing past that, so I would appreciate no spoilers past this chapter. Thanks...

EDIT: I can only read posts that quote my own. I get notifications that link me directly to posts that quote me, and in that way I can avoid reading posts that are discussing other parts of the series, therefore avoiding spoilers.

Archived