Bakker XLIX - From Bashrags to Riches (No TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

7 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Which version though, and were do you live?

If you're in the US and its the paperback you may want to recheck.

Edit: ebook says may 24th, hard copy says june 17th

Oh right. I ordered ebook. US. 

In regard to the preface in 'Evil is a matter of perspective', maybe its poor reading on my part I can't remember if the LOTR books describe destroying Sauron, or just destroying his powerful magic item? Sure, the movies depict Sauron exploding - but as I'm remembering the books, they don't. The scene with Frodo in mount doom is basically about Frodo (and a bit of Golum), so Sauron is again made a bit part player (or less)

Have I not remembered the text properly and it's made clear somewhere it's all about killing Sauron?

Granted, unquestioningly destroying Saurons powerful magic item has its own issues, but one thing at a time!

Just now, Let's Get Kraken said:

The intro to Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés.

Interesting, great find. And ironic considering all the gender discussion about Bakker's fantasy creation.

5 hours ago, Damelon said:

Interesting, great find. And ironic considering all the gender discussion about Bakker's fantasy creation.

Not really; both terms are old philosophical greek terms that don't by themselves have anything to do with women.

43 minutes ago, Damned with the Wind said:

So, I read the Carathayan

Reveal hidden contents

What are Uster's sisters?  Swayali?  Or something supernatural?

Spoiler

Something else, because it wouldn't seem that the time line for them to be Swayali would really match up well, not to mention prescience doesn't really seem to be a Gnositic thing.  I'd guess they might be witches of a different sort, but I think that is unlikely.  They seem more akin to Pythia than anything else to me.

My guess is perhaps they have something more akin to Mimara's JE than anything actually sorcerous.

32 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Any good?

I didn't think so.  We have a character, in a situation totally inappropriate to it, go into a wall of text speech to her daughter.  And it's narration is about as clear as the Revelations of Cinial'jin.

As to what it's about, its main character is one of Saubon's personal guardsmen that gets squashed by a Bashrag in TGO.  So it's set before that.

13 hours ago, Damned with the Wind said:

I didn't think so.  We have a character, in a situation totally inappropriate to it, go into a wall of text speech to her daughter.  And it's narration is about as clear as the Revelations of Cinial'jin.

I thought it was ok.  If you were already planning to buy the collection, I still would, although I am not sure if it's worth it just for that.

It is, to me, very reminiscent of the shorter stories in The King In Yellow.

17 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Not really; both terms are old philosophical greek terms that don't by themselves have anything to do with women.

The ironic point was not the terms themselves, but where the terms appeared.

3 hours ago, Damelon said:

The ironic point was not the terms themselves, but where the terms appeared.

Doesn't seem that weird to me that a philosopher would use them, feminist or otherwise. YMMV of course.

Archived