Video Games- Mess Effect: Andromeda

A True Kaniggit

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

I really have come to like the ME:A crew. Driving around on Elaadan with Drax and Liam I got this conversation.

D:  Are there any real big things back on Earth?

L: Well, back before the big extinction there were dinosaurs.  I guess they were like monsters.

D:  But what's the biggest thing there now?

L: The blue whale I guess.

D:  (Sounding awed) The blue whale... ever fight one?

L:  Umm.  Sure.

:lol: 

Yeah, I got that one, too. Also Jaal's questions about what others do for fun, and their responses are pretty funny.

I've been toiling around with Final Fantasy II for SNES. After finally getting through Chronotrigger, I needed a little break from RPGs, so I was pretty into Golf, Ice Hockey, and Tecmo Bowl for a while for NES. FF2 is pretty good, but not up there with Chronotrigger by any means.

Every summer, somehow, I end up playing Gothic 1 and 2 again. I think these are the best RPGs ever made. I absolutely love the difficulty, the sense of achievement, the exploration--and no doubt, Gothic 1 is quirky as hell (I bet my son 5 dollars he couldn't figure out how to pick up an item, and sure enough he couldn't--I didn't collect, it wasn't fair. You have to hold down control and push up!), and Gothic 2 is much better, but I love both of these games so much.

Even with a low budget for localization, you're in a medieval world where townsfolk gossip and talk around you, creating the living atmosphere, but they have southern accents due to...I don't know...lack of money.  But the weird, American accents really add to the flavor of the world for some reason. For me at least.

I think most gamers won't be able to penetrate these games. But if you're up for an older, Morrowind era RPG, and you like crushing difficulty, give it a try. Nothing like wandering into the woods and realizing, as something looms from the darkness, that you went too far this time. Save often.

With a few mods, I believe.

57 minutes ago, Fez said:

And now there's a poster for Far Cry 5. https://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/8/82063/2941053-img_4151ixywp.jpg

I sure hope the game's story lives up to that. But even if it doesn't, its already pissed off the scum at 4chan, so something good has come out of the game already.

The trolls. What a poster.

Full in-game trailer tomorrow, apparently.

I was wondering where Far Cry could go after Just Cause 3 completely out-Far Cried every Far Cry ever and made the series redundant, but a darkly satirical direction will do just fine.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is it much of a different look to the Xb one, or largely the same visual design?

Well, what I have isn't the retail thing at all - it's the devkit. So the design is going to likely be quite a bit different. The devkit has all sorts of cool bells and whistles - two NICs, a special USB3 transfer system for rapid deployment of bits, two different drives, and even a cool LED panel in front that does things like display the IP address or what's currently being run (which is useful if it's headless). 

What impresses me the most is that it's really small. Even with it being the devkit it's like smaller than an xbox one classic and close to the size of the xbox one S. I can only think that the actual thing is going to be even smaller. Way, WAY smaller than the PS4 pro or whatever it's called.

The open beta for the standalone Gwent game started this week and I've been playing it. Its a pretty different game from what was in Witcher 3. Same basic concepts but way more rules, card interactions, and cards. Its more balanced than the original and there's less cheese strategies, but I sort of miss the elegant simplicity.

The devs really need to work on the card text though. Its very inconsistent and unclear what many of the cards are supposed to do without relying on trial and error.

Also, I hate the new weather system. Each of the weather types can go on any row and they only affect your opponents; and rather than being an instant weakener that can go away, they are now DoTs that can go away but the damage they do is permanent (and, since the damage is done at the start of the affected side's turn, even if you clear skies immediately it had an effect and causes you to waste a turn). There are also some Gold card weathers that are even worse, but I haven't seem yet. Apparently this is a change from how weather worked in the closed beta (where people complained that it was too work), and I'm hoping it will changed again.

I'm also not sure how competitive players can be without spending quite a bit of money. There are opportunities to earn cards, and there's a crafting system like Hearthstone, but there are so many powerful cards that you're extremely unlikely to get without buying numerous card packs ("kegs"). But that's just the nature of a free-to-play game I guess.

I'm having fun though.

On 5/24/2017 at 10:43 AM, Joe Pesci said:

I've been toiling around with Final Fantasy II for SNES. After finally getting through Chronotrigger, I needed a little break from RPGs, so I was pretty into Golf, Ice Hockey, and Tecmo Bowl for a while for NES. FF2 is pretty good, but not up there with Chronotrigger by any means.

Chrono Trigger was way ahead of it's time, and has great replay value even today.  

So I finally finished through the linear portion of FFX, and am onto the part of the game I really enjoy once the world opens up... and damn dark aeons!  This is my first time playing the international version (as they weren't on my original NA releases), and they're stopping me from getting Anima as I stupidly didn't realize I couldn't just march back to Besaid and Kilika temples to pick up the destruction sphere treasures there once I got the game to open up.  A lofty challenge, so now I'm onto the celestial weapons and level grinding to beat the bastards.

30 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Far Cry 5 Trailer

Looks like they're leaning more into the kooky cult and crazy rednecks side of things rather than straight-up having white nationalist villains (one of the guys with the pick-up trucks is black); which is disappointing.

It does look like Ubisoft said, "How can we do something relevant when Just Cause has basically completely blown away all of our normal stuff?" and came up with a pretty good answer. I'm on board for this, even if the suspension of disbelief about the "cult" having likely 500+ members that you kill alone will be difficult to maintain.

On 5/24/2017 at 0:06 AM, House Balstroko said:

lazy writing:Why is it that all the wildlife in this game have the same spit attack? 

This one is potentially not lazy and intended - the story just hasn't played out enough yet (and hopefully will do).

I love the new Far Cry 5 setting but I gotta see some extended gameplay. If it's still the exact same -open up the map via radio station and craft stuff with dead animals- I just can't do it.

Also, youre a deputy sheriff. How is this war in Montana supposed to go down without homeland security and the national guard and 1000s of youtubers taking over??? Vice reporters??

Archived