[Book Spoilers] R+L=J, A+J=T and other theories on HBO V.4

Suzanna Stormborn

1 minute ago, Newstar said:

Oh, I agree, as I've said, but this idea that Book Sansa hates or "despises" Tyrion and TV Sansa's appreciation of Tyrion's kindness is some sort of unforgivable violation of the source material is garbage.

I did not mean to give the impression that I thought Book Sansa hates or despises Tyrion.  As I said to begin with, I think she grew to understand him - but that's just about where her feelings stop.  And I actually quite like how they altered the Tyrion-Sansa relationship in the show.  It's a testament to how basic communication can reconcile seemingly intractable situational obstacles.  Frankly I wish Martin had more of it in the books.  So no, I certainly don't think it's an unforgivable violation of the source material.

The wedding kneeling scene was changed because the lead up to it was very different. Almost all the people who discuss this seem to forget that Tyrion himself came to warn Sansa about the marriage, well before it went through. He could do so because Tywin acted openly on the show, but used an ambush (on the Tyrells and on Sansa) in the books (with Tyrion going along). The relation between Tyrion and Sansa, right before the wedding, was cordial on the show. In the books, the relationship was not only more distant, it was also coloured greatly by Tyrion keeping the info from her until five minutes before the ceremony. No wonder that book-Sansa wasn't in a kneeling mood. Show-Sansa was far more likely to show consideration for the feelings of her ally Tyrion.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/2/2017 at 5:21 PM, Wouter said:

The wedding kneeling scene was changed because the lead up to it was very different. Almost all the people who discuss this seem to forget that Tyrion himself came to warn Sansa about the marriage, well before it went through. He could do so because Tywin acted openly on the show, but used an ambush (on the Tyrells and on Sansa) in the books (with Tyrion going along). The relation between Tyrion and Sansa, right before the wedding, was cordial on the show. In the books, the relationship was not only more distant, it was also coloured greatly by Tyrion keeping the info from her until five minutes before the ceremony. 

The quote from the book:

"My lady, this is no way to bring you to your wedding. I am sorry for that. And for making this so sudden, and so secret. My lord father felt it necessary, for reasons of state. Else I would have come to you sooner, as I wished." He waddled closer. "You did not ask for this marriage, I know. No more than I did. If I had refused you, however, they would have wed you to my cousin Lancel. Perhaps you would prefer that. He is nearer your age, and fairer to look upon. If that is your wish, say so, and I will end this farce."

I think he's telling her the truth here. I know that's not always the case in Westeros. It's entirely reasonable that Tywin ordered him to not let anyone know, probably to stay a step ahead of the Tyrells. As for offering to let her choose Lancel instead, I think he was sincere. I think one of the reasons she didn't pick Lancel is that she remembered when he backed up Joffrey's assertion that Robb warged Grey Wind to murder their uncle. That was one of the times Joffrey had her humilated in front of the court. 

(I'm sorry this isn't formatted right. I've lurked for a long time but I'm 99% sure this is my first post.) 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Jô Maltese said:

It would have made much more sense if he had tried AFTER he learnt that he was a Targaryen...

Yes OBVIOUSLY this would have been better. I mean Dany has had a lot of freinds and boyfriends, why has she never invited anyone else to ride a dragon?

One theory that the show seemed to confirm last night. The White Walkers are limited to Westeros only.  I always wondered if the Long Night would spread to Essos or not. It seems not.  It also seems that anyone with a ship could abandon Westeros and live.

^^ It appears to me that D&D simply have dropped the entire notion of "dragon bonding" altogether. If such a concept existed on the show, Dany would know about it (she knows about it in the books, I believe) and would not have let Jon ride the dragon (as she would have no reason to think he could bond with a dragon and he almost certainly would have died in her view). Now they seemed to have done a "ret con" on the issue so that anyone that a dragon like can ride the dragon (and presumably that could be different people at different times). No bonding required -- no Targ blood required. Dany seems fairly unworried about the likelihood Jon would be killed by the dragon (because the dragon seemed to like Jon) -- a fear that would have been all to real in the books.

My fear is that D&D have basically taken most of the "mysticism" out of the show so that, for example. there are no longer any magical rules regarding dragons and the "three heads of the dragon" prophecy will not be central to the resolution. Similarly, the maggy the frog prophecy on the show eliminated the line about the valonqar, so I suspect Cersei's death will be quite different on the show than GRRM has planned (which I still believe will be Jaime in the books -- if he ever gets around to writing them) but not necessarily on the show. By eliminating the three heads of the dragon prophecy, D&D were free to incorporate other deviations, such as being able to add the drama of killing off a dragon (something I am not convinced will happen in the books) and eliminate the complexities surrounding Tyrion as a Targ bastard (something that assuming we are correct will happen in the books, D&D perhaps concluded was too complicated to explain (no back story regarding Tyrion's mother on the show like there is in the books) and repetitive of Jon as really being Aegon Targaryen -- personally still convinced in the books it will be Aemon Targaryen).

45 minutes ago, UnmaskedLurker said:

^^ It appears to me that D&D simply have dropped the entire notion of "dragon bonding" altogether. If such a concept existed on the show, Dany would know about it (she knows about it in the books, I believe) and would not have let Jon ride the dragon (as she would have no reason to think he could bond with a dragon and he almost certainly would have died in her view). Now they seemed to have done a "ret con" on the issue so that anyone that a dragon like can ride the dragon (and presumably that could be different people at different times). No bonding required -- no Targ blood required. Dany seems fairly unworried about the likelihood Jon would be killed by the dragon (because the dragon seemed to like Jon) -- a fear that would have been all to real in the books.

My fear is that D&D have basically taken most of the "mysticism" out of the show so that, for example. there are no longer any magical rules regarding dragons and the "three heads of the dragon" prophecy will not be central to the resolution. Similarly, the maggy the frog prophecy on the show eliminated the line about the valonqar, so I suspect Cersei's death will be quite different on the show than GRRM has planned (which I still believe will be Jaime in the books -- if he ever gets around to writing them) but not necessarily on the show. By eliminating the three heads of the dragon prophecy, D&D were free to incorporate other deviations, such as being able to add the drama of killing off a dragon (something I am not convinced will happen in the books) and eliminate the complexities surrounding Tyrion as a Targ bastard (something that assuming we are correct will happen in the books, D&D perhaps concluded was too complicated to explain (no back story regarding Tyrion's mother on the show like there is in the books) and repetitive of Jon as really being Aegon Targaryen -- personally still convinced in the books it will be Aemon Targaryen).

In which case it is just D&D being lazy because yes Dany was nonchalant about someone besides her riding a dragon, but it just happens to be the biggest coincidence of all time that Jon is her ONLY living relative who has Targ blood and the Heir to the IT.

What freaking LUCK

20 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

In which case it is just D&D being lazy because yes Dany was nonchalant about someone besides her riding a dragon, but it just happens to be the biggest coincidence of all time that Jon is her ONLY living relative who has Targ blood and the Heir to the IT.

What freaking LUCK

"D&D being lazy" -- isn't that just another way of saying "D&D being D&D"?

2 hours ago, UnmaskedLurker said:

Couldn't :agree: more.

Apparently, horny Emilia Clarke > any type of rational narrative.  With weird cat Drogon.  What a fucking waste that was.  They obviously do not give a shit about it based on the first episode, which otherwise, I actually thought was fine.

BTW - this doesn't change my position on Tyrion, AJT, or whatever.  If that actually was gonna happen, we'd know by now.  And, for the like thousandth time, if that was happening in the books we would have seen it by now.  Or at least be hinted by at.  Read one reviewer which wondered why Tyrion was still in the show.  Which, far enough.  All he did this ep is make a ball joke and yenta about Jon and Dany's future.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

BTW - this doesn't change my position on Tyrion, AJT, or whatever.  If that actually was gonna happen, we'd know by now.  And, for the like thousandth time, if that was happening in the books we would have seen it by now.  Or at least be hinted by at.  Read one reviewer which wondered why Tyrion was still in the show.  Which, far enough.  All he did this ep is make a ball joke and yenta about Jon and Dany's future.

I hate the Tyrion AJ theory, hate it, hate it, but I did think with the world book that the author seemed to open up the possibility that it's true on purpose, of course, he's kind of a troll, so I think it could/might happen in the books, but it feels like there is no way the show has any time even for a SHOCKING reveal like that, and at this point, it isn't going to have any impact on the narrative either.

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

it isn't going to have any impact on the narrative either.

The only way I could see it affecting the narrative at this point is if either Dany or Jon die and then Tyrion uses one to burn KL/kill Cersei/something like that.  But yes, it's incredibly unlikely, which means it's also unlikely in the books.  I don't think there's much if any difference between those two probabilities, world book be damned.  :leaving:

Archived