U.S. Politics: Comey, Comey, Comey, Comey, Comey Chameleon

11 minutes ago, Fez said:

Statement by Lisa Murkowski (its the image above the tweet, posting twitter links is weird)

She's first GOP senator to publicly support an independent prosecutor or commission; there are at least four GOP House members who've publicly come out for one as well.

John McCain has been in favor of a special commission to investigate the Russia investigation since March.  Although that was specifically tied to the Russian interference in the election, rather than specific Trump/Russia ties, although there isn't much difference between the two.  As far as I know McCain is not in favor of an independent prosecutor. 

53 minutes ago, Fez said:

The problem for Republicans is that too much of their base still likes Trump a lot; and impeaching him without something simply undeniable or explainable (e.g. Trump molesting an underage boy on camera) will lead to their base turning on them. Or at the very least staying home and making a 2018 Democratic wave even bigger.

Basically this. I am not even convinced explainable or undeniable would be enough, Grab them by the Comey.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I am stil ROFLing over Putin offering a transcript of that WH meeting.

:rofl:

It's not just you. Vladimir, Vladimirovich has always been one cheeky bastard. But I am quite sure, he even must have chuckled when the idea with that offer crossed his mind. I wouldn't be too surprised if he leaks some of the transcripts at some point in the future. Esp. if he also had some other stuff that would compromise Pence and Ryan.

This Day In History May 17th 1973: Televised Watergate Hearings Begin

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/televised-watergate-hearings-begin?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

This along with coverage of Vietnam, were some of my first memories of television news. Or at least ones that stuck. Can remember Walter Cronkite breaking it down while my father cursed and groused and my mother laughed and cheered. (At the Watergate coverage of course, not the Vietnam stuff) Interesting times, as the Chinese like to say.

33 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

John McCain has been in favor of a special commission to investigate the Russia investigation since March.  Although that was specifically tied to the Russian interference in the election, rather than specific Trump/Russia ties, although there isn't much difference between the two.  As far as I know McCain is not in favor of an independent prosecutor. 

John McCain would verbally express displeasure and concern at being repeatedly shot in the face by the GOP as long as he didn't have to actually try to stop it.  

On the other hand, plenty of Republicans are falling in line with Trump.

The Speaker of the House: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/paul-ryan-comey-memo_us_591c66e9e4b0ed14cddb33af?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

“It is obvious there are some people out there who want to harm the president,” Ryan said.

He added that it was appropriate for Congress to conduct its own oversight, and the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee has already requested a memo that Comey apparently wrote after meeting with Trump. Ryan said he wanted to reserve judgment until he and other lawmakers had seen that memo.

“I’m sure we’re going to want to hear from Mr. Comey about why, if this happened as he allegedly describes, why didn’t he take action at the time,” Ryan added, already seeming to question Comey’s version of events. 

And others...

1 minute ago, Trebla said:

The Speaker of the House: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/paul-ryan-comey-memo_us_591c66e9e4b0ed14cddb33af?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

And others...

Yeah, no. Trump sent Sessions and someone else (Ryan?) out of the room first. He didn't do that to make a joke.

3 minutes ago, Trebla said:

And others...

Yeah, he probably asked Pence and Sessions to leave the room because he didn't want them to hear his funny joke.

55 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

To recap the big ones:

• Trump fired Comey
  • Trump's press stated reason for firing Comey was Clinton investigation, which was shown to be a lie 48 hours later by Trump when he said that it was about the Russia investigation
  • Trump gave Russians highly classified information about Israel's spy operations in ISIS, which remains so dangerous to reveal that news organizations that have it have been asked not to divulge it. 
  • Trump's people lied first that it didn't happen, and then indicated it was fine.
  • Comey has memos detailing Trump conversations with him, including one in which Trump asked Comey to let the investigation on Flynn go - which is a clear obstruction of justice.

It's not about media though. In this case, there are genuinely a whole lot of Americans who would be thrilled to have Trump gun down a black male. 

I absolutely am. Most of his voters would consider him still someone they might vote for him and would stick around - those are his current people. A few on the fence would bail. But a whole bunch of others - liberals and conservatives - would be like 'this guy isn't so bad'.

That's America.

Cheers, mate. 

No one has said anything about this, but last night on CNN Alan Dershowitz said it's time Trump got a personal lawyer to start advising him, particularly to get him to stop tweeting things Trump thinks are making things better. He hoped Trump realizes the WH lawyer is not his lawyer, not on his side, but on the WH's side. which is something different.

Trump might think as President the WH lawyer is there to give him advice, like the corporate lawyer in his business.

Its too early to say where the majority of the GOP will land. A few more revelations can easily push some more of them over the edge.

For now, McCain and Butters cant stand the guy, and with Susan Collins and Murkowski and some others on the fence, its pretty good for stalling of the legislative agenda. I'll take it for what its worth, compared to how I felt 4 months ago.

This'll go in the annals of awesome corrections.

* Correction: This article previously stated that Amash was the first Republican to suggest that Trump's alleged actions could be grounds for impeachment. Following publication, a spokeswoman for Curbelo contacted Mother Jones to point out that "Congressman Curbelo was actually the first Republican to mention impeachment."

Curbelo is another one of those reps from a Clinton-won district, and I'm thinking he recognizes the potential career benefits of being able to get out in front of a Trump collapse. Having a "truth-to-power" reputation is a surefire way to eventually being a respected elder statesman and party leader.

57 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

No one has said anything about this, but last night on CNN Alan Dershowitz said it's time Trump got a personal lawyer to start advising him, particularly to get him to stop tweeting things Trump thinks are making things better. He hoped Trump realizes the WH lawyer is not his lawyer, not on his side, but on the WH's side. which is something different.

Trump might think as President the WH lawyer is there to give him advice, like the corporate lawyer in his business.

Jared's on it.

13 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Oh for fuck's sake.

Has he actually been offered a position or is he just saying he would if one were offered? Its very unusual for an appointee to make the announcement of their appointment themselves, even among Trump's appointees.

Also, if its not a position that requires senate confirmation, its not one of the more important.

Still, its a shitty thing to even think about, and if its true, I wonder if anyone's told Kelly about it.

ETA: Okay, Clarke says its the Assistant Secretary for the Office of Partnership and Programs, which isn't one of the ones that requires senate confirmation.

Archived