Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

Myrddin

• 1 month later...

I just listened to the live chat for the first time.  Revisions are reasonable.  Reworking the narrative, is reasonable.  Trying to make the work as subtle as the first two is reasonable.  Hope I enjoy the third book, when it is released, as much as I enjoyed the first two.

On 5/17/2017 at 3:04 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

Not really but there's no wandering packs of monsters running around like there is in the Inn at the beginning.

Yes. Either Kvothe opens doors that were locked (makes sense given the title), or either the Chandrian or the Amyr hunt the ones who get out, meaning Kvothe taking his revenge gives them freer rein.

Book 3 isn't going to happen. Rothfuss is going to die or I'm going to die or we'll have to wait for the TV series (which will never happen) so the writers can figure out how to end the series.

I don't think his heart is in it and he's too much a perfectionist to put out the half-ass written-during-a-huge-depressive-episode-mess that he's probably sitting on.

Plus there are still lots of readers to belittle that he hasn't gotten to and politics to blame for not having enough space in his life to write.

9 hours ago, brunhilda said:

Book 3 isn't going to happen. Rothfuss is going to die or I'm going to die or we'll have to wait for the TV series (which will never happen) so the writers can figure out how to end the series.

I don't think his heart is in it and he's too much a perfectionist to put out the half-ass written-during-a-huge-depressive-episode-mess that he's probably sitting on.

Plus there are still lots of readers to belittle that he hasn't gotten to and politics to blame for not having enough space in his life to write.

Has Rothfuss ever blamed "politics" for his lack of writing productivity?

I strongly suspect that most of the reasons that he's given for delays are him just searching for things people will accept to mask the real reason for the delay: He has crippling anxiety that it's not good enough, and doesn't know what to do.

It's clear from his public speaking (the guinea pigs are fish story, for example) that he has a very high opinion of his own intelligence and is also hyper-critical of others. People like this tend to be hugely insecure, and have anxiety that they're being judged in the way they judge others.

And once more, I'm putting effort into making my life structured so I can make it happier, healthier, so I can do more things that make it even better for you guys.

And also, lastly, pretty much every creative person I know is behind on their projects right now because of the politics of our country, and we are terrified that it's a dumpster fire right now. To folks outside of the country, please be aware, that... Trump? A lot of us voted for him, but please be aware that we didn't all know that this would happen. Amanda's uncomfortable here cus I'm talking politics. But please be aware that we're trying to do what's best for the world, but when you're actually afraid that your president may be in mid-stage dementia, and even if he's not, he's a clinically diagnosed narcisist that is designating white supremacists to positions of power. How can I tell beautiful stories when I'm scared that my children will have to grow up in this world? You really want me to write faster? Help me impeach Trump. (Amanda: god damnit!) I joke a little bit here (Amanda: I should've never bought you that second coffee), but when you are so endlessly dismayed about the things that are happening... for those of you that I don't perfectly align with politically, philosophically... if you feel the need to sever ties with me on social media, I understand. It can be hard to realize that someone doesn't align with your politics. That's rough. But I also hope you might give me credit, like, 'Pat does Charity, that's good' or 'Pat cares for his children, that's good.' Instead of taking this and assuming that everything else is bad, maybe just think we're operating from different places of information, and try to see why I think that. I know that in saying this, I will lose followers, fans, etc., but I can't sit on my hands when people's lives are literally at stake. If they repeal the ACA, estimates are that 43,000 people will die. I am in a position to lose fans and be honest about that. I'm really sorry if that harshes your vibe, but I'm in. If you can't handle that, you're complicit, and I refuse to be complicit.

On 7/3/2017 at 0:54 PM, Ninefingers said:

I strongly suspect that most of the reasons that he's given for delays are him just searching for things people will accept to mask the real reason for the delay: He has crippling anxiety that it's not good enough, and doesn't know what to do.

It's clear from his public speaking (the guinea pigs are fish story, for example) that he has a very high opinion of his own intelligence and is also hyper-critical of others. People like this tend to be hugely insecure, and have anxiety that they're being judged in the way they judge others.

I think his high opinion of his intelligence is justified. He has a beautiful mind.

I also think that like a lot of highly intelligent people, he is disorganized, easily distracted and neurotic. The way for him to control that anxiety is to break up his goals/projects into bite size chunks.  Don't try to get it perfect on the first try, even.

Reach out to trusted colleagues (not Beta readers who are friends) who can provide hands-on advice about how to perform the requisite surgery on the manuscript.  Hire an intern who loves his book to help him with word processing tasks and can nudge him gently on progress. Make it a collaborative process.  Above all, dedicate a few hours a day (5 or 6) to only working on the book.  No emails, no calls, no meetings.

If he does that the book will be published in 2018.  If not, well there's nothing his fans can do except be patient. But there's a lot of talent in fantasy right now, and I'm sure Pat doesn't want to become the guy of whom people say "he used to be the next big thing".  

If Pat continues to breathe life into the Four Corners in his books for the next 15-20 years, then he will  be talked about in the same breath as Tolkein, Asimov and Martin. That's a goal worth working towards.  

3 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

If Pat continues to breathe life into the Four Corners in his books for the next 15-20 years, then he will  be talked about in the same breath as Tolkein, Asimov and Martin. That's a goal worth working towards.  

I wish I could bottle and sell your optimism.

7 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

If he "continues to breathe life into the Four Corners in his books for the next 15-20 years" the way he's been doing in recent years, he has a better shot at becoming a pro PC/console gamer than being talked about in the same breath as Tolkien, Asimov and Martin.

And that is also a goal worth working towards, but then he needs to stop this whole charade of continuing as an author.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

If he "continues to breathe life into the Four Corners in his books for the next 15-20 years" the way he's been doing in recent years, he has a better shot at becoming a pro PC/console gamer than being talked about in the same breath as Tolkien, Asimov and Martin.

To be fair, he might end up being talked about in the same breath as Martin (though I would place money on Winds coming out before Doors of Stone). 

5 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

To be fair, he might end up being talked about in the same breath as Martin (though I would place money on Winds coming out before Doors of Stone). 

Martin has a very substantial body of work though, outside of ASOIAF. There's Dreamsongs, Haviland Tuf, Wildcards, etc. etc. And the show is already the most successful show in television today.  Rothfuss doesn't have any of that, and even with Manuel Lin Miranda attached, I don't think the Kingkiller chronicles has what it takes to be as successful in television format as GOT.  Inspired no doubt by Martin's career in television,  ASOIAF is very cinematic in terms of its writing. 

On 07/07/2017 at 3:23 PM, baxus said:

And that is also a goal worth working towards, but then he needs to stop this whole charade of continuing as an author.

Having seen his game streams, I can assure you that that even if he does nothing but play games for the next decade, he will probably still be closer to being a great author than a pro gamer. 

He could aspire to be a successful game streamer I guess. You don't actually have to be good at playing games to be popular while you absolutely need to if you want to be a pro gamer.

On 7/8/2017 at 3:47 PM, Proudfeet said:

Having seen his game streams, I can assure you that that even if he does nothing but play games for the next decade, he will probably still be closer to being a great author than a pro gamer. 

He could aspire to be a successful game streamer I guess. You don't actually have to be good at playing games to be popular while you absolutely need to if you want to be a pro gamer.

That says a lot about the odds I'd give Rothfuss for ending up in the same group with Tolkien and Martin. ;) 

Archived