Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

Myrddin

3 minutes ago, unJon said:

I'm not sure he did post here. See above about confusing our Pat with Pat R. 

I saw that after I made my post.  He was very happy to have drinks with BWB folks in Montreal.  I missed it because I had to get to the airport to discover my plane had already left.

Well I've been here for 15+ years, including the ezboard, and do not recall him posting here other that one time.  But the more telling thing is that lack of discussion of him being a board member when the book was released, had he been, then that's all everybody would have talked about.

ETA:  Here's the book's first thread.  I searched the first two pages and saw nothing indicating he was a member here, and I got the other Pat's user name wrong, it was pat5150.

Well, I don't think Red Sister is comparable to TNOTW at all. Other than fantasy school, there's really nothing similar. Heck, even the schools aren't alike.

I will also remain unconvinced that Rothfuss work is multi layered til the third book actually comes out. I think people are seeing things that aren't there or that they want to see to justify some of the tropeyness.

On 9/2/2017 at 6:05 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Well, I don't think Red Sister is comparable to TNOTW at all. Other than fantasy school, there's really nothing similar. Heck, even the schools aren't alike.

I will also remain unconvinced that Rothfuss work is multi layered til the third book actually comes out. I think people are seeing things that aren't there or that they want to see to justify some of the tropeyness.

I tend to agree. 

It's less "multi layered" and more, "he hid some cool easter eggs and foreshadowing".

On 9/1/2017 at 11:24 AM, Kelli Fury said:

I'm still pretty sure he was on the board at some point, but I could be mistaken on the screen name. Scott is one of the only current boarders I can identify now as it is

Maybe if boarders would stop changing or adjusting their screen names... :P 

(I needed your sig to confirm you were who I thought you were)

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

Maybe if boarders would stop changing or adjusting their screen names... :P 

(I needed your sig to confirm you were who I thought you were)

Kay was actually K., which was always short for Kelli *gasp*

I figured. Was just funny to see Kelli instead of Kay and have that moment of wonder whether there was more than one phone booth knife fighter. :) (that is one of my favorite sigs on the whole forum)

At some point, I rather see an official ending to the story rather than wait for a perfect ending that will never happen.

Sucked that Jordan couldn't finish WoT, but I was glad to have Sanderson step in. Sucks that Martin can't seem to finish ASOIAF, but I'm ok with HBO finishing it off. Sucks that Rothfuss can't seem to squeeze more out of his muses, or maybe just get them to sing exactly how he wants.

There was a saying my old company (online training development): Perfect is the enemy of good. 

If perfection is your goal, you'll never finish.

The only time I've ever read a series finale written by a different author was And Another Thing by Eoin Colfer and I've been pretty against them ever since :P

Also I just don't like Sanderson's work in general. I'd rather have no official ending than an "official" ending written by someone else personally. Though at the current rate we'll have Lin Manuel Miranda writing the ending, Benioff & Weiss style. 

20 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

At some point, I rather see an official ending to the story rather than wait for a perfect ending that will never happen.

Sucked that Jordan couldn't finish WoT, but I was glad to have Sanderson step in. Sucks that Martin can't seem to finish ASOIAF, but I'm ok with HBO finishing it off. Sucks that Rothfuss can't seem to squeeze more out of his muses, or maybe just get them to sing exactly how he wants.

There was a saying my old company (online training development): Perfect is the enemy of good. 

If perfection is your goal, you'll never finish.

Myrddin,

Okay, suppose Rothfuss published a short story called "Day three" that briefly tells of Kvothe saying that he's done telling his story that he killed a king, faked his death, and then bought the Waystone and you see him as he is now and that is the end of the story.  Are you satisfied?  It ends the story and is far from perfect.  

I want the end of Rothfuss' story.  I would like the third novel.  Having Brandon Sanderson write subpar fan fiction based upon Rothfuss' notes would not complete the story in any way that is satisfactory in my opinion.  Perfect is the enemy of the good but replacing "perfect" with something that sucks is no real replacement. 

Archived