Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

Myrddin

6 hours ago, Seiche said:

That is a bummer to hear. I had not heard of Cyclothemia, but the internet tells me it's like bipolar, but perhaps somewhat less severe.

Link below provides some notes from a recent Rothfuss appearance at a Con:

When asked if he’s “a DM [Dungeon Master] taking us on a journey where the bard is the hero of the story?”, Rothfuss responded, “It’s way worse than that. I am an author who has tricked you into reading a trilogy that is a million-word prologue.”

https://www.tor.com/2018/03/07/patrick-rothfuss-kingkiller-chronicle-prologue-the-doors-of-stone-book-3/

Seem like there is a legit disconnect between what Rothfuss hopes to achieve, and what he has/will achieve. That quote suggests that Rothfuss, at least in that moment, is thinking of the trilogy as already complete.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:gasps:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That is all.

On 3/7/2018 at 7:12 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I had not heard this.  It seems that Pat Rothfuss is suffering from Cyclothemia:

This, in part, explains his behavior these past few years. We see the manic occasionally ("million word prologue!") and the depression much more frequently (radio silence on a book supposedly completed more than ten years ago, with bitchy sniping when pestered by fans, and avoidance of responsibility through video games, etc.)

6 hours ago, kuenjato said:

This, in part, explains his behavior these past few years. We see the manic occasionally ("million word prologue!") and the depression much more frequently (radio silence on a book supposedly completed more than ten years ago, with bitchy sniping when pestered by fans, and avoidance of responsibility through video games, etc.)

Yeah, and I’m less inclined to damn him for it as it really may be something beyond his control.  Even the claim that the series is done and each book will be published in successive years could be chaulked up to a manic phase.

53 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

The part that worries me is the prologue bit. Makes me think all the fans hwo endless poor over books 1 and 2 for hidden clues.seret meanings are going to be pissed off if/when book 3 comes out.

* Bakker fans nod silently *

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

The part that worries me is the prologue bit. Makes me think all the fans hwo endless poor over books 1 and 2 for hidden clues.seret meanings are going to be pissed off if/when book 3 comes out.

In fairness it was always an obvious possibility that the plan was a trilogy on Kvothe’s past followed up with books in the ‘present’. I’m pretty dubious it’s actually going to happen but it’s not exactly a shock that’s what Rothfuss is thinking of.

49 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

In fairness it was always an obvious possibility that the plan was a trilogy on Kvothe’s past followed up with books in the ‘present’. I’m pretty dubious it’s actually going to happen but it’s not exactly a shock that’s what Rothfuss is thinking of.

Completely agree.  In fact him talking about the trilogy like it's done and planning the big sprawling post-epic epic seems like something we could have collectively come up with as a parody of a rothfuss update.  If you do back a couple years one of us probably already did.

Sorry to hear he's dealing with that, hope it becomes more manageable and less stressful for him soon.  

22 hours ago, kuenjato said:

Explains maybe, but certainly doesn't excuse. 

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

8 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, I don't see the overall 'mytharc' of the books being resolved in book 3 - Shapers, Haliax, Iax, Tehlu and the Angels, the Amyr.  Even within universe, up to the point in time where the book is in the present, Kvothe has apparently fought a single angel and (probably) accidentally released Iax, yes?  So to actually continue the whole mytharc storyline would necessitate more books after Book 3.

But I don't think Rothfuss has it in him.

9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Explains maybe, but certainly doesn't excuse. 

Hold on.  If this is literally mental illness shouldn’t it excuse the behavior?  He may not be able to control this.  How is this different from Scott Lynch’s serious anxiety issues?

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Hold on.  If this is literally mental illness shouldn’t it excuse the behavior?  He may not be able to control this.  How is this different from Scott Lynch’s serious anxiety issues?

Uh, well, it's not, and Lynch isn;t a total ass to his fans. That was my point.

I dunno, this is all purely anecdotal  on my part but I've known and worked with people with a variety of mental illnesses and, like any group of people, some of them are just jerks. Sure it may excuse the long delay in writing but it doesn't excuse how he treats fans, which is pretty constant.

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No it should not. But I also don't believe that mental illness excuses people from killing children as they shoot up a school with an assault rifle. 

Archived