Rothfuss XIII: Fan Angst Live Stream

Myrddin

On 17/03/2018 at 4:57 PM, Triskele said:

Especially on this board where people are probably extra-sensitive to the much-delayed release of new material.

And Rothfuss made some unsubtle digs at GRRM when he announced his entire trilogy was already complete in 2007 so THERE WILL BE NO WAITS. It was a key and vital cornerstone of his marketing strategy, so it stings a bit more when it turns out to be BS.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

And Rothfuss made some unsubtle digs at GRRM when he announced his entire trilogy was already complete in 2007 so THERE WILL BE NO WAITS. It was a key and vital cornerstone of his marketing strategy, so it stings a bit more when it turns out to be BS.

Youch.  I am really glad I missed that.  All my fur would have gone up.

On 3/17/2018 at 3:28 PM, Darth Richard II said:

To clarify a bit, I have no problem if he wants to play games all day. What ever creative people need to do to you know, be normal creative people is fine. But the way he rubs it in fans faces is bad and I was talking to a friend today who has never read his books but knows him as "that author that mocks his fans while he plays game son twitch". That's not a good rep to have.

I'm just mad that he's trying to horn in on Scott Lynch's well earned 'my mental health has impacted my work output' position. Get your own thing buddy. 

29 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

What is it with X vs Y topics that turn into embarrassing stains on fandom itself? Wasn't there a time a bunch of Bakker fans went ape-shit over one of those as well?

Bakker did that to himself and kept doubling down on it.  But he also sucked it up, and came back here to ask for feedback on TGO, which was pretty awesome.  

2 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Bakker did that to himself and kept doubling down on it.  But he also sucked it up, and came back here to ask for feedback on TGO, which was pretty awesome.  

We might be thinking of different things. I didn't know about anything on W.org, I was thinking of that suvudu match with Ray Lilly that had a bunch of Bakker fanboys flooding the comments with insane shit like this.

EDIT: fixed link.

3 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

We might be thinking of different things. I didn't know about anything on W.org, I was thinking of that suvudu match with Ray Lilly that had a bunch of Bakker fanboys flooding the comments with insane shit like this.

EDIT: fixed link.

Oof, I forgot about that. The crazies really came out of the woodwork for that one.

I was scrolling through Twitter this afternoon and noticed Rothfuss had retweeted, apparently without irony, one of those “Woke Toddler” anecdotes that was going around this weekend. Since Kingkiller is two thumbs down for me, I wasn’t surprised. But it certainly gave me a chuckle. 

Actual conversation overheard in my house:

7 year old: What's the Socratic Method?

5 year old: It's a device where supposed wisdom is delivered using a dialog or debate between two real or fictional characters.

7 year old: Where did this come from?

5 year old: It was popular in ancient Greek times, but popularized by Plato who put his own tutor as the star. 

7 year old: So "woke toddler" on Twitter is just copying an old rhetorical strategy?

5 year old: Reviving an old rhetorical strategy, yes. But somehow they assume that making the characters young children elevate the discourse or make the outcome obvious.

7 year old: You'd think people would call them out for doing this.

5 year old: Well, this whole conversation is fake. Who is to know this Myrddin chap doesn't have 7 and 5 year old kids anymore? Or that the whole premise is ridiculous having the older sibling ask the younger a "deep" question.

Archived