The Witcher on Netflix.

Macklunkey

The author is a consultant so I'm assuming there will be an effort to stay true to the books. I've never read them anyway, I heard the english translations really weakens them. My next question is live action or animation? I know Netflix has to be making insane money but a live action will take a pretty high budget to do right imo.

It's definitely a live action series, and based mostly on short stories, at least in the first season, from what I've heard. I'm really excited about this, as Tomasz Bagiński and his Platige Image are involved. If you don't know who he is, watch his short animation "The Cathedral", Oscar nominated in 2002 adaptation of the novella by Jacek Dukaj. Can't wait for this.

I cant... right now... I'm... I'm speechless ! 

Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! Holy shit yes !  

ETA : I dont know about the english version, I read them in french and I've been told its one of the best translation of the book, but still, whatever the language, I definitly recommend reading those books ! 

guess netflix isn't hosting "the wheel of time" then.

I've got the books on kindle - this should serve as a reminder to try them out. Always happy to see fantasy on TV and given Netflix has the financial clout (and the quality mark that HBO had in the 2000s) I'm looking forward to it. But I'll be honest, I know nothing about the Witcher other than they were video games too.

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

So stoked for this.. Im hoping its either an outright adaptation of the books(including the short stories)  or maybe deals with original characters in some other time period.. 

Honestly, I thought the games, especially the third one, were generally better than the books, so I wouldn't have minded if it was an adaptation of them either.  Granted, the games obviously use the books as source material, but they also do their own thing, and I think the third game especially was better written than any of the books that I've read.

I'm currently on the last stride of the last book. The novels have their ups and downs, but in general, it wasn't much exciting.

The novellas though are a breath of fresh air, they are amazing. I hope they give all the necessary amount of time to each novella, and don't try to merge them or whatever (as was initially planned with the movie).

If they ever come to the novels, I sincerely hope they can find a way of making the sorceresses more... likeable. They are insufferable in the books. I can already see the inevitable misogynistic controversies and trolls that will plague the show fandom (if it ever comes to be).

Haven't read the books, but since TW3 is so great I can only imagine the source material is even better.

Right, time to fan cast Geralt and co.

I wonder if they will play Gwent in the TV show?

6 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Haven't read the books, but since TW3 is so great I can only imagine the source material is even better.

Right, time to fan cast Geralt and co.

I wonder if they will play Gwent in the TV show?

I've only read a couple of the books, but the third game was better than any of the ones I did read.

The third game was also significantly better than the first and second game, though, both of which seemed to struggle a bit due to the translation. 

Saw this a couple hours ago. Happy with the announcement and happy that it'll be on Netflix. Only behind HBO in regards to quality imo. Could even make the argument that Netflix has been more quality the past 3-4 years. Looking forward to this.

I dont think you can understand the book saga from jus the first short-stories.... the scales are really huge the more the story progress and it's a beautiful, golden, fantasy fresque.

Geralt fancasting : Travis Fimmel, Mads Mikkelsen or Luke Arnolds. 

5 hours ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

I keep seeing Mads Mikkelsen. I don't get it.

Why? I wouldn't mind if it was him, actually. Though not widely known actor would probably be better.

Re up: Gwent is not from the books. I have no idea who he is/what it is.

10 hours ago, Arkash said:

Geralt fancasting : Travis Fimmel, Mads Mikkelsen or Luke Arnolds. 

I love Luke Arnold as Silver, but... as Geralt? Huh...
His might make a good Jaskier though.

Unless you meant Luke Roberts?

I'd love another epic fantasy show, but I really haven't been impressed by much of Netflix's original content. Basically just Stranger Things and BoJack Horseman I think. So I'm cautious about this.

I can see the confusion between book-readers and game-players becoming quite stark. The books are reasonably popular, and extremely so in eastern and central Europe (and Spain, and to a slightly lesser extent France), but their haphazard release schedule means they're still in the infancy of sales in the UK and US. But on a global level the video games are phenomenally more popular: the third game alone has sold maybe six or seven times as many copes as the entire book series combined.

Archived