The Witcher on Netflix.

Macklunkey

1 minute ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

We all hate the GOT covers?? Do we?  The UK GOT covers are my favourites (not that I own copies of them) since the original three covers.  I've found many of the in-between covera rather bland.

Whether the game plots are followed in any way at all will largely depend on the show's popularity.  If it's doing really well by the time they're adapting the last book, they may well draw on them.  If the show's struggling, we'll be lucky to see all the books adapted.

I think this is the right of it. There are 8 books to adapt and it sounds like they will be covering The Last WishSword of Destiny and maybe the start of Blood of Elves in Season 1 (and those books are shorter than the later ones, I believe). Assuming a similar rate for later seasons and a season every 18 months like most Netflix shows, that means they won't need to even worry about running out of book material for 4-5 seasons, which will take about 6-7.5 years to get through. At that point they can decide whether they want to stop, keep going and adapt the games or see if Sapkowski has put something else out in the meantime.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Jarek Sawko and Tomek Baginski designed and created the CG cut scenes and trailers for all three games, starting with this pretty direct adaptation of the original "The Witcher" short story from The Last Wish (that cinematic is pretty old now, eleven years). Their company Platige Imaging looks like it's going to be providing some or all of the CG and creature effects for the TV series.

AFAIK Jarek Sawko and Tomek Bagiński are both great fans and admirer's of Sapkowski source material. I find what they did for the games rather irrelevant, since they insist that all they really care about is to give the books what they deserve at last. Making a real TV series out of Sapkowski works is one of the biggest dreams of Tomek Bagiński, since the infamous Polish TV adaptation came out years ago.

14 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think this is the right of it. There are 8 books to adapt and it sounds like they will be covering The Last WishSword of Destiny and maybe the start of Blood of Elves in Season 1 (and those books are shorter than the later ones, I believe). Assuming a similar rate for later seasons and a season every 18 months like most Netflix shows, that means they won't need to even worry about running out of book material for 4-5 seasons, which will take about 6-7.5 years to get through. At that point they can decide whether they want to stop, keep going and adapt the games or see if Sapkowski has put something else out in the meantime.

Sword of Destiny, eh?

Just ring it up with the dong tea.

16 minutes ago, briantw said:

Sword of Destiny, eh?

Just ring it up with the dong tea.

It's also the actual name of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II (which in some markets also bears the subtitle Frankly Unnecessary).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Big news!

The Witcher Season 1 will consist of 8 episodes and will adapt the first two books, The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny (which contain 13 stories, making this the first Netflix show where actually having that many episodes may have been a good idea, but still). It will start shooting later this year in Poland and Eastern Europe. Provisional airdate is early 2020.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Big news!

The Witcher Season 1 will consist of 8 episodes and will adapt the first two books, The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny (which contain 13 stories, making this the first Netflix show where actually having that many episodes may have been a good idea, but still). It will start shooting later this year in Poland and Eastern Europe. Provisional airdate is early 2020.

Sounds good to me. I think it's an excellent idea to adapt these two books first (instead of ignore Sword). If it's done well, Geralt, Ciri, and Yenn will be the focal point of the series--even when the books shifted perspectives. I'm being really vague on purpose.

I remain interested in this despite never having read or played the source material. 

Probably because it's more of an unknown for me. I think I have the books in Kindle format below a digital mountain somewhere. Maybe I'll check one out prior to 2020

I am so glad to hear they're adapting the short story compilations. That's how my ideal Witcher TV series start out - episodic adventures that introduce key characters, before maybe shifting into a more serialized form in later seasons. 

On 21/04/2018 at 10:07 AM, Werthead said:

Big news!

Wouldn't it be preferable to have 13 episodes to tell 13 short stories? Or will they just do 8 of the short stories and look to do the other 7 if they give the show a second season?

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Wouldn't it be preferable to have 13 episodes to tell 13 short stories? Or will they just do 8 of the short stories and look to do the other 7 if they give the show a second season?

Some of the stories are mega-short, so they may combine them. They may also be going for focus: the main story of the saga revolves around Geralt meeting, raising and training an apprentice named Ciri, and Ciri only shows up in the second book of short stories, so they may be cutting to the chase and just focusing on that and discarding everything else.

The showrunner also said that she hadn't signed off on the statement that the first season will be based on the first two books, so that may have been inaccurate.

Makes sense. I was picturing 13 short stories all more or less the same length. But if some stories can be left out entirely, Tom Bombadil style, then 8 episodes sounds more reasonable. 

Interesting that there's been official(?) non confirmation, but not denial regarding the source material for the first season. 

On 4/23/2018 at 3:01 AM, Werthead said:

Some of the stories are mega-short, so they may combine them. They may also be going for focus: the main story of the saga revolves around Geralt meeting, raising and training an apprentice named Ciri, and Ciri only shows up in the second book of short stories, so they may be cutting to the chase and just focusing on that and discarding everything else.

The showrunner also said that she hadn't signed off on the statement that the first season will be based on the first two books, so that may have been inaccurate.

While I think the story of Geralt and Ciri (and Yennifer) is the heart of the series, I really don't want them to skip the stories of the first book, or retcon them in a way where Ciri is always there. 

4 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

While I think the story of Geralt and Ciri (and Yennifer) is the heart of the series, I really don't want them to skip the stories of the first book, or retcon them in a way where Ciri is always there. 

I can't see them skipping the first meeting with Yennefer either. If this was a network show I could see them introducing Ciri ASAP for cast cost reasons, but Netflix doesn't have that issue, so they won't need to rush that.

They may choose to take another approach, but it sounds like they are leaning towards a book-faithful adaptation at this time.

Technically we meet Ciri in the first volume of short stories. ;) In A Question of Price we meet her parents, Pavetta and Duny, her grandmother Calanthe, and learn Pavetta is pregnant. And Ciri is promised to Geralt as a child of surprise.

At least two other stories from The Last Wish, that IMO should be included in the first season are Lesser Evil and The Last Wish. Which leaves us five episodes for six stories from The Sword of Destiny. If I have to choose which one of those to skip, I would probably pick A Shard of Ice.

4 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Technically we meet Ciri in the first volume of short stories. ;) In A Question of Price we meet her parents, Pavetta and Duny, her grandmother Calanthe, and learn Pavetta is pregnant. And Ciri is promised to Geralt as a child of surprise.

At least two other stories from The Last Wish, that IMO should be included in the first season are Lesser Evil and The Last Wish. Which leaves us five episodes for six stories from The Sword of Destiny. If I have to choose which one of those to skip, I would probably pick A Shard of Ice.

That's...like the best story.

So i'm new to The Witcher Series. I know that it's based off a Book Series.

But may i ask how can i start reading them. Like, which book should i start on and how many books are there in the series.

Archived