The Witcher on Netflix.

Macklunkey

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

and extremely so in eastern and central Europe (and Spain, and to a slightly lesser extent France),

Also in Finland (northern Europe)!

Latest Orbit catalog includes US sales numbers for Sapkowski:

https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/_b2b/media/media_assets/catalogs/Orbit__Redhook_F17W18_Frontlist_Catalog_3.16.17.pdf

- New York Times bestselling series, over 800,000 copies sold to date.

- The Last Wish jumped onto the New York Times bestseller list 8 years after publication, after the release of the Witcher 3 video game.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

I'd love another epic fantasy show, but I really haven't been impressed by much of Netflix's original content. Basically just Stranger Things and BoJack Horseman I think. So I'm cautious about this.

I'd say Netflix on average performs better than any other network at the moment. Starz do well but it feels like they only ever have two big dramas airing. FX are super consistent but don't tend to splash out explaining their avoidance of SF. AMC are well known for being stingy. HBO has the cash but I wouldn't say they had the brand they had from the Sopranos to Wire (Boardwalk empire possibly gets in). I don't automatically check out a HBO show anymore. I don't automatically check out a Netflix show but that's largely because they have so much to choose from - a lot of which is great.

Basically I wouldn't write off a show because it's on Netflix - it's not like they have an in-house style anyhow.

9 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Why? I wouldn't mind if it was him, actually. Though not widely known actor would probably be better.

Re up: Gwent is not from the books. I have no idea who he is/what it is.

9 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

It's a card game that serves as a side game in the video game. I just read that its based on something from the novels called Barrell

Not just a side game any more. An actual Gwent video game is about to go into open beta. I had the closed beta though I never got around to playing it. But my sons played it and really enjoyed it. Both of my sons played a fair bit of Hearthstone and they think Gwent is up there as far as card based video games go.

It seems most likely to me that they will base the show off of the short stories. That is unless they signed up for a 5-season deal for them to successfully cover the main series, though I am not sure exactly how common a 5-season deal for something of this sort is.

Also, count me in as one of the people that doesn't want Madds Mikkelson as Geralt... I don't know, he just doesn't seem very Geralty.

18 hours ago, Arkash said:

I dont think you can understand the book saga from jus the first short-stories.... the scales are really huge the more the story progress and it's a beautiful, golden, fantasy fresque.

Geralt fancasting : Travis Fimmel, Mads Mikkelsen or Luke Arnolds. 

Nah, No but in the right age bracket, No.

I actually like Jason Isaacs for the role. We certainly know he can pull of long pale hair. being mid-late 50s might be a little above the ideal age range though, especially if the series has reasonably long term aspirations (5+ years)

Richard Armitage would be good, and because of the heavy make up and dwarfising he went through in the Hobbit he would not be too instantly recognisable as the dude who played Thorin. He's a pretty tall bloke and pretty athletic looking. And in mid-forties which I think is about the sweet spot for age for this role. And he's a decent actor. And a voice not too unlike what he used as Thorin wouldn't be too bad for Geralt.

The big question is do they give Geralt an American accent for the TV show like he has for the game, or are they going to do the more usual English accent that seems to be the default for medieval settings? Ideally, for me Geralt would speak English with somewhat of a Polish accent. But a quick Googling suggests there are few to no suitable Polish native actors who are at least somewhat on the radar being either too young or too old. And I am not on board with an English or American actor putting on a Polish / generic central Europe accent. If they are looking for a genuine Germanic sort of accent I think Tom Wlaschiha would be a reasonable option. Playing the role of Jaqen H'gar showed that he can do that sort of emotionally flat character but still with good dramatic delivery.

Now this is a fan casting list I could get behind.

http://unlimiteddreamx.tumblr.com/post/96995544210/yeabambi-the-witcher-fancast-part-1-of-2

And I thought of Richard Armitage before seeing this list.

Eva Green would make a good Yennefer, at least in terms of how she looks / acts in TW3. I could get on board with Famke Janssen as Yennefer too. And I think Famke Janssen may be a cheaper / easier hire than Eva. Though Eva Green probably fits more in the age bracket they would be looking to for Yennefer.

James Callis seems a little on the old side for Dandelion, esp as he looks in TW3.

I like the picks for Vesemir, Kiera Metz, Radovid and the Bloody Baron in this one. http://rebrn.com/re/my-witcher-movietv-series-fancast-3065799/ assuming they are all characters in the books.

I was just imagining how great Mark Addy would be as the Bloody Baron. Somehow I think only Mark Addy would be a realistic prospect though out of that list.

Mark Strong as Emhyr?

Scarlett Johansson would be my dream casting for Triss. But that'll never happen.

15 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Now this is a fan casting list I could get behind.

http://unlimiteddreamx.tumblr.com/post/96995544210/yeabambi-the-witcher-fancast-part-1-of-2

And I thought of Richard Armitage before seeing this list.

Eva Green would make a good Yennefer, at least in terms of how she looks / acts in TW3. I could get on board with Famke Janssen as Yennefer too. And I think Famke Janssen may be a cheaper / easier hire than Eva. Though Eva Green probably fits more in the age bracket they would be looking to for Yennefer.

James Callis seems a little on the old side for Dandelion, esp as he looks in TW3.

I like the picks for Vesemir, Kiera Metz, Radovid and the Bloody Baron in this one. http://rebrn.com/re/my-witcher-movietv-series-fancast-3065799/ assuming they are all characters in the books.

I was just imagining how great Mark Addy would be as the Bloody Baron. Somehow I think only Mark Addy would be a realistic prospect though out of that list.

Mark Strong as Emhyr?

Scarlett Johansson would be my dream casting for Triss. But that'll never happen.

I think Nikolai could pull off the Geralt look and portray him pretty well. And Michael Fassbender could work too, IMO.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Yennefer is supposed to look really really young. Like a teenager or a bit more. At least that's the impression I got from the books. Don't know about the games. Now, I guess they could remove that aspect of the books, and just go for the usual adult actress. Apart from some snarky remarks from Jaskier/Dandelion, I guess we wouldn't be losing much.

6 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Yennefer is supposed to look really really young. Like a teenager or a bit more. At least that's the impression I got from the books. Don't know about the games. Now, I guess they could remove that aspect of the books, and just go for the usual adult actress. Apart from some snarky remarks from Jaskier/Dandelion, I guess we wouldn't be losing much.

Yeah in the games she's definitely more like late 20s/early 30s looking at least. But she could also easily be a young-looking early 40s too. Definitely not anywhere near teenage. But they have to make her look definitely adult given the nudity and sex in the games, having Geralt bang someone who looks like a teenager would get the game banned in too many places.

People who don't know the games should look at character pictures from the games, esp The Witcher 3 for an idea of what gamers are going to be looking for in casting choices.

8 hours ago, Sun Worshipper said:

I think Nikolai could pull off the Geralt look and portray him pretty well. And Michael Fassbender could work too, IMO.

Yeah, Nikolai has the look for it. Not sold on Fassbender for Geralt. He could be Emhyr.

Geralt - Nikolaj Coster - Waldau 

Yennefer - Eva Green 

Triss - Jessica Chastain 

Ciri - Natalie Dormer 

Emhyr - Charles Dance (voiced the character in the game as well)

Vesemir - Stellan Skarsgard 

Bloody Baron - Brendan Gleeson would be so perfect

8 minutes ago, Sun Worshipper said:

I'm just hoping we get to see Borch Three Jackdaws :D

Oh, no doubt about that.

8 minutes ago, Sun Worshipper said:

On that note: what part of the books is everyone most excited to see on-screen?

Battle of Brenna would have to be awesome, but I doubt there is a chance for that.

Archived