‘The Alienist’: Daniel Brühl, Luke Evans & Dakota Fanning tv series

AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, Quoth said:

Thanks, Astromech. :)

Yeah, that seemed strange to me, too. I'd have pursued if only to confirm their deaths. But, then, we have decades worth of spy/thriller stories, movies and TV shows to hone our assassin like abilities. :lol:

That site's still not working for me. Maybe it's the browser? I'm using Firefox. Anyway, if it's just  recaps... *shrug*

That could be. You're not really missing much. For example, the site has you place a pair of characters to the correct locale thy visited last episode. Then it just tells you the clue they uncovered about Beecham. That's about as interactive as it gets.

Come on, that was an overly quick end to the whole Lezlo/Mary romance.... I mean I did complain halfway through the episode that Lezlo’s feelings for Mary and their relationship was not addressed enough for him to make such statements, but come on.... this was truly sad. 

I enjoyed the investigation and the all the info we found out about the killer. I wish GreyMoustache and RedMoustache (I keep mixing up their names - Byrns and Connor?) would stop hindering the plot... 

my one complaint aside from Mary and Lezlo’s sudden feelings for her is the horses. What happened to the horses? Wouldn’t the weight of the carriage drag them off the bridge as well? I didn’t see the corpses of those horses. Where are the horses? 

32 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Come on, that was an overly quick end to the whole Lezlo/Mary romance.... I mean I did complain halfway through the episode that Lezlo’s feelings for Mary and their relationship was not addressed enough for him to make such statements, but come on.... this was truly sad. 

I enjoyed the investigation and the all the info we found out about the killer. I wish GreyMoustache and RedMoustache (I keep mixing up their names - Byrns and Connor?) would stop hindering the plot... 

my one complaint aside from Mary and Lezlo’s sudden feelings for her is the horses. What happened to the horses? Wouldn’t the weight of the carriage drag them off the bridge as well? I didn’t see the corpses of those horses. Where are the horses? 

Connor and his men (and Byrnes also, I guess) at this point seem to be the villains of the show just as much as the serial killer.

26 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Connor and his men (and Byrnes also, I guess) at this point seem to be the villains of the show just as much as the serial killer.

They are representative of how ignorance slows progress, that's fer sure...lol... the entire police force/status quo (with the exception of Roosevelt) is so afraid of looking bad that they're undermining Kreisler & co as much as they can...

Two minor nit picks... 

1- it was kind of late to introduce The Swede (unless I missed it).. and then he goes and does something dramatic... it would have been a lot more plausible had he been a part of the story prior

2- Kreisler is such an asshole, that for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would remain in his company... or for that matter,not  toss him a beating...

You knew when the opening shot was of Mary humming and happy that things were going to end badly for her. Yet I still was sad when it happened. 

I haven’t let go of Sarah being slapped. That has to come up later between the men right?  

I'm not too fond of how they used Mary's death to sideline Laszlo, but he is a little unhinged. Seems Beecham isn't the only one with parental issues.

I had been calling Cyrus "Silas". Damn. His scene was just too much of a tease. I was cheering him on.

It was great finally "seeing" Beecham in action. Another episode with great tension. The gang searching his apartment was almost as tense as the final scene with Beecham.

4 hours ago, Astromech said:

I'm not too fond of how they used Mary's death to sideline Laszlo, but he is a little unhinged. Seems Beecham isn't the only one with parental issues.

I had been calling Cyrus "Silas". Damn. His scene was just too much of a tease. I was cheering him on.

It was great finally "seeing" Beecham in action. Another episode with great tension. The gang searching his apartment was almost as tense as the final scene with Beecham.

Laszlo's daddy issues have been pretty obvious for a long time. And it's not hard to guess how his arm got injured.

As I've said, Connor is as much a villain of this show as Beecham. A couple of weeks ago someone in this thread said that the killer seems to be everything that 2010s hate - I'd say that refers to Connor most of all.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, Annara Snow said:

After watching the season, perhaps series, finale Connor and Byrnes completely overshadowed Beecham for me. Perhaps due to never really seeing Beecham until the few glimpses the last two episodes. It also didn't help that Lazslo really saw Beecham more as an interesting subject than a real threat and danger to the city.

However, Lazslo's interest in Beecham as a subject and a possible answer to his question of why some people commit evil acts, perhaps even an answer to his own demons, is entirely in character for Lazslo. I became more and more interested in this aspect of the show as the series progressed. I never felt any sort of sympathy for Beecham, but it was a question that became more and more interesting to me.

Overall, a fine series. Hopefully it's followed up with a second season adapting The Angel of Darkness.

Really really enjoyed this series.  It took me a few episodes to warm up to it and keep up with it but I was compelled enough to keep watching.  I liked how while it involved a serial killer and mutilated bodies it was never so grotesque or gory on screen and they knew that the buildup to such moments was where the true terror lay.  I really hope they make another season or two out of this ensemble cast.  I especially enjoyed Sara Howard and John Moore.

I mostly enjoyed the series. I did get into some of the characters (Sara Howard and John Moore, the Isaacson Brothers, and Mary Palmer all were great). Never really warmed to Laszlo, though. Thought the ending was sort of flat (never did get to read the book...). Would like to see another season re: Angel of Darkness (that book, too, is on my shelf waiting to be read... :lol: )

• 4 weeks later...

I have no words for how late I am to this game. 

But I did finally finish up the series and I found the final episode rather flat. Essentially it didn’t answer anything. All the questions I had remained open. (Or correct me if I’m wrong, I was very tired and slightly boozy when I watched it.) 

But what exactly is the deal without a László’s hand? I get the importance of why he never found out the murderer’s motives but it was still rather disappointing and unsatisfying. And I’m guessing Sara likes Moore too? And I’m guessing she’s going to agree to marry him at some point? 

Daniel brühl’s acting was great and I did enjoy some of the minor characters as well. I can’t decide if it was Sara’s character or Dakota Fanning’s acting, but I just failed to take a liking to her. Like Evans is handsome and that’s about it, again I’m not sure if his acting failed me or the character. 

Overall, while I mostly enjoyed the show, I’m not sure I’d return for a second season. 

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I have no words for how late I am to this game. 

But I did finally finish up the series and I found the final episode rather flat. Essentially it didn’t answer anything. All the questions I had remained open. (Or correct me if I’m wrong, I was very tired and slightly boozy when I watched it.) 

But what exactly is the deal without a László’s hand? I get the importance of why he never found out the murderer’s motives but it was still rather disappointing and unsatisfying. And I’m guessing Sara likes Moore too? And I’m guessing she’s going to agree to marry him at some point? 

Daniel brühl’s acting was great and I did enjoy some of the minor characters as well. I can’t decide if it was Sara’s character or Dakota Fanning’s acting, but I just failed to take a liking to her. Like Evans is handsome and that’s about it, again I’m not sure if his acting failed me or the character. 

Overall, while I mostly enjoyed the show, I’m not sure I’d return for a second season. 

Laszlo's father was physically abusive and injured his hand permanently on one occasion. I thought that was pretty obvious a few episodes ago already, and they just explicitly confirmed it in the finale.

The murderer's motives aren't a huge mystery - the guy was seriously troubled and deranged as a result of the emotional abuse from his parents and sexual abuse by the guy whose last name he took, the guy he initially turned to because of the lack of love from his stern family. It was hinted at the end that he had a particularly troubled relationship with his mother, so Sara was right about that, though. (I wonder if the killer's facial tick was also a result of his emotional abuse - possibly by his mother, the way Laszlo's disability is a result of physical abuse by his father.) Laszlo was right about many other things. The religious obsession was due to the killer's father being a priest and bringing him up in a religious atmosphere. The killer killed his abuser, took his last name and went on to be a soldier, where he saw a lot of messed up things and went on to do them, channelling a lot of his issues and rage. 

The issue is more that Lazslo wanted to know exactly how the killer's mind worked and why exactly he chose to do the things he did - because he wanted to understand, and to be able to resolve further cases like that. It's basically the origins of psychological profiling of serial killers, with the old-fashioned, conservative police circles hampering the investigation in the worst possible ways (they were really the villains of the piece, at least as much as the killer, or more).

I don't know what issues you have with Luke Evans' character. I thought he was excellent, and made his character very endearing. All three main actors were excellent.

We don't know if Sara will ever agree to marry John. He is in love with her, but her feelings are more of an enigma. She likes him in some ways, but I don't know if she'd want to marry him. She certainly is more focused on succeeding in her career and on her independence, which he came to realize. She also tends to keep her feelings hidden - she and Laszlo are more similar to each other in personality that way, while John is far more emotionally open. 

Alright then, that went right past me, I suppose. Should have paid a little more attention while watching the last two episodes. Thanks for clearing that up. 

yeah, I get that those were the main assumptions about the killer. But even when László went to a prison to visit a previous patient of his, the murderer always questioned his assumptions and said something like “is that really why you think I did it...?”. This happened at the very end with the killer and both times left László frustrated and made me as a viewer question if there was more/less to what László and co assumed. 

John and Sara wore roughly the same expression throughout the show which suits their characters, per se, I just hoped there’d be times when we see them knocked out of their general character and dance around their limits. It happened  once or twice, but I would have enjoyed to see more of it. Daniel Brühl channeled nuances much better than either of the other two. 

Yes, that seems to be the case. I personally find out unsatisfying but I’m just hopeless that way. And I agree with your observation about Sara and László’s similarities, it’s endearingly ironic that Moore basically fell for the female version of his best friend, if I want to simplify things. Another parallel with Sherlock. (Which is fine) 

• 3 months later...

Archived