what is your favorite season and least favorite

snow is the man

7 hours ago, snow is the man said:

Ironically I didn't hate season 5 like everyone else did. I think the problem I had with season one is that in season 2 it was like they changed camera's and film (not explaining it right) Season one looks very cheap but season 2 and forward looks beautiful and much better quality.

Also and I realize this won't be a popular opinion but I really didn't like ned stark in the show. And sansa made me cringe with her dialouge. Plus I never liked catelyn stark and she played a big part in season one. So three big characters in the show I really didn't like so that was part of it

Well, just for clarity, I don't "hate" Season 5.   I say, "least favorite."  There's LOTS of great stuff in Season 5 (including a lot of stuff in Dorne that a lot of people intensely dislike, but I was fine with).  I think every season has far more good than bad.  It' just that those two things in Season 5 make it my "least favorite."  (At least they have the excuse that the burning of Shireen is canon, but in my opinion they butchered Sansa's story so much that I don't really see how book-Sansa and show-Sansa can even be considered the same character anymore)

I hear you about the lower production value of Season One (my goodness, as I recall the "direwolves" were dogs), but as I recall the story followed Book One VERY closely, so I was thrilled when I first saw it.  (I'm not a pure purist, but if I had been the GoT showrunner the whole thing would have followed the books even more closely.  Some changes have to made for practical purposes, and I get that, but to me a lot of the changes just mean somebody thinks they can tell the story better than GRRM, and in my opinion they CAN'T)

Season 3 is my favorite. The drama and build up to the Red Wedding was great.  Plus the Brotherhood-Arya-Hound stuff was fantastic.

Season 2 is my least favorite, but I wouldn't call it bad, just uneventful (until Blackwater).

I know a lot of people knock season 5, but I liked it.  I think it was too grim for most.  The payoffs in season 6 worked because of the setup in season 5.

My favorite would have to be season 1. Probably because I knew nothing about the books, had read nothing about the series, and really went in as virginal as I could be. And because I really was surprised by the twists and turns, it worked for me. I have rewatched it so many times, literally more than a dozen, and now I can see its flaws, but it is still my fave, it reminds me of when I really loved the show.

I like season 3 quite a bit, maybe its my second favorite season. I read spoilers so I was not shattered by the big shocks lol, lets me enjoy the show more without emotional turmoil.

It was really the last 3 episodes of season 4 that stopped me cold. I really, really disliked them on so many levels. It was when I was forced to consider reading the books, and I discovered the online world of fandom, which itself was a lot of fun. I think season 4 is my least favorite because it pretty much destroyed my love of the show, so I took it hard and really resent that season lol.

Season 5 was bad, but season 6 was worse. I pretty much laughed, rolled my eyes, or actively hated it. The best thing about season 6 for me was discovering Preston's episode reviews lol. It made watching the show with my friends a lot more bearable, I kept imagining how Preston would skewer the crappy stuff. But I think season 4 in quality was better than both season 5 and 6. It still made slightly more sense and didn't include Dorne.

SerProle,

Last 3 episodes of season 4 are generally loved and highly rated episodes amongst most, aside from poor cgi in last episode with the creatures after Bran. I loved those 3 episodes though.

what did you hate about them so much?

12 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

SerProle,

Last 3 episodes of season 4 are generally loved and highly rated episodes amongst most, aside from poor cgi in last episode with the creatures after Bran. I loved those 3 episodes though.

Wow did I make a serious typo lol! It was the last 3 episodes of season 5 that I truly despised, not season 4. And season 5 is the season I hate most for the reason stated lol (even though I think season 6 was definitely worse than season 5).

I did not love the last episodes of season 4, although they had strong moments for sure. I think they were when I realized the show was a lot more about shock and awe than the politics, characters, schemes, and other things I really enjoyed. I did not like the ice zombies, the instant swooping win of Stannis, the implausible victory at the wall, the gory death of Oberyn, the taking of Moat Cailin, or Arya's psycho laugh.

But more than that, I hated the glorification of cruelty, violence, revenge, and sociopathic choices. If Evil is going to mostly win and win ugly, than I just feel bored and rather disgusted. You have to remember that at this time I had not read the books, and I thought the emphasis on this sort of interpretation of the themes in the story came from the books. And I questioned why I was watching this as entertainment.

These doubts really flowered in my head during season 5, particularly at the end. That was when I discovered the books and far different interpretations of GRRM's themes. And the writing of the show in the last 2 seasons was bad lol, plus I had worked in entertainment and there were a lot of production aspects to the show that I thought were pretty poor. I no longer was willing to cut the show any previous slack as quality tv, because it no longer was imho.

17 hours ago, SerProle said:

Wow did I make a serious typo lol! It was the last 3 episodes of season 5 that I truly despised, not season 4. And season 5 is the season I hate most for the reason stated lol (even though I think season 6 was definitely worse than season 5).

I did not love the last episodes of season 4, although they had strong moments for sure. I think they were when I realized the show was a lot more about shock and awe than the politics, characters, schemes, and other things I really enjoyed. I did not like the ice zombies, the instant swooping win of Stannis, the implausible victory at the wall, the gory death of Oberyn, the taking of Moat Cailin, or Arya's psycho laugh.

But more than that, I hated the glorification of cruelty, violence, revenge, and sociopathic choices. If Evil is going to mostly win and win ugly, than I just feel bored and rather disgusted. You have to remember that at this time I had not read the books, and I thought the emphasis on this sort of interpretation of the themes in the story came from the books. And I questioned why I was watching this as entertainment.

These doubts really flowered in my head during season 5, particularly at the end. That was when I discovered the books and far different interpretations of GRRM's themes. And the writing of the show in the last 2 seasons was bad lol, plus I had worked in entertainment and there were a lot of production aspects to the show that I thought were pretty poor. I no longer was willing to cut the show any previous slack as quality tv, because it no longer was imho.

I agree that s5 and 6 were the worst by far. S6 is full of things that don t make sense and the characters dialogues and behaviour became shit.

However in s5 it was still in trqnsition to shit mode and hardome ep, with the exception of some bad dialogue about how jon tried to convince the wildlings it was awesome and the best ep since some years

3 hours ago, divica said:

I agree that s5 and 6 were the worst by far. S6 is full of things that don t make sense and the characters dialogues and behaviour became shit.

However in s5 it was still in trqnsition to shit mode and hardome ep, with the exception of some bad dialogue about how jon tried to convince the wildlings it was awesome and the best ep since some years

Hardhome was definitely fun to watch, a very exciting episode. I still think it was way more about shock and WOW than it was about offering good stuff in terms of plot and character, but oh well, there are far worse episodes lol;)

On 11/07/2017 at 6:34 AM, Gaz0680 said:

SerProle,

The final episode of S4 was terrible in my opinion. The culmination of Bran's journey north was one of the worst sequences of the series, from the fight with the wights, little girl Leaf with fireballs, to the unimaginative cave and the tedium of the first Bloodraven incarnation ("a thousand eyes and one" he said :lol:).

Then there's Jaime submitting yet again to Cersei, the eternally manipulated lapdog making a mockery of his development with Brienne traveling the Riverlands.

Then there's Tyrion's escape sequence, his hazy motives for climbing to the Tower of the Hand without the Tysha revelation, Shae reverting to book-Shae despite her different show characterisation, Tyrion killing her with an element of self-defence to claim, then loosing the crossbow bolt over using the word "whore". The whole thing was badly put-together.

Then there's the Hound-Brienne fight sequence, which was entertainingly brutal but founded upon the troublesome principle of the show's Brienne the Brute characterisation and its unsubtle sledgehammer approach to all situations without the slightest thought towards unpicking the complexity of anything.

Yeah I strongly disliked that episode.

Best season: 1 (just ahead of 3)

Worst season: 5 or 6 (can't decide which is worse)

Season 6 is widely considered to be the best, closely followed by season 4, I would go with Six as my personal favourite.

The weakest are generally considered to be five and two, my preference would be season 5 but Hardholme is my second favourite ever episode and a huge improvement over the books (where it's just talked about).

Season 2 didnt really have any big shock or awe moments like other seasons which is probably why it rates quite low for most, but I think it gets a bad wrap. The storytelling was some of the best in the show. The ironborn storyline was pretty great in season 2 and Arya/Tywin was brilliant, as was most of the scenes with Tyrion. Blackwater remains one of the most consistent high quality episodes the show has ever produced. A brilliant piece of television from start to finish.

I also thought all the Stannis/Davos/Melisandre scenes in S2 were amazing also.

2 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

Season 2 didnt really have any big shock or awe moments like other seasons which is probably why it rates quite low for most, but I think it gets a bad wrap. The storytelling was some of the best in the show. The ironborn storyline was pretty great in season 2 and Arya/Tywin was brilliant, as was most of the scenes with Tyrion. Blackwater remains one of the most consistent high quality episodes the show has ever produced. A brilliant piece of television from start to finish.

shadow babies, facrless men....i'd say it had big shocking moments, just that they made more sense in the story than the recent invented ones bc at that time it used to be better adapted.

Season 3 is my favourite; they got the balance just right in that season, and the tone is perfect.

My least favourite is actually season 6; while individual episodes are good, the season as a whole suffers from having a clear end point for where characters will end up, but no proper plan for how to get there. I've recently done a rewatch, and I've actually concluded that season 5 as a whole is much better than season 6 as a whole.

11 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

This.

For me it's probably the best. I liked Tyrion as a Hand of the King and how he handled Stannis. He was the only reason why I wasn't all in for Stannis smashing the Lannisters for good. Tyrion's political/war skills were impressive.

Also the Ironborn introduction, Theon's massive betrayal, Stannis' introduction, Tywin and Arya at Harrenhal, Roose Bolton's introduction, etc. 

I also liked Robb's character personally, despite his flaws, so I liked seeing him alive and well. Season 3, while being arguably better and i enjoyed it, was building up for Robb's undoing, and the whole Young Wolf/King in the North thing. 

18 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

This.

For me it's probably the best. I liked Tyrion as a Hand of the King and how he handled Stannis. He was the only reason why I wasn't all in for Stannis smashing the Lannisters for good. Tyrion's political/war skills were impressive.

Also the Ironborn introduction, Theon's massive betrayal, Stannis' introduction, Tywin and Arya at Harrenhal, Roose Bolton's introduction, etc. 

I also liked Robb's character personally, despite his flaws, so I liked seeing him alive and well. Season 3, while being arguably better and i enjoyed it, was building up for Robb's undoing, and the whole Young Wolf/King in the North thing. 

The poorer arcs in season 2 werd jon ( by far because they butchered is book story) and danny where nothing really happened until the end. As this characters are actually the most important it makes the season less popular.

18 minutes ago, divica said:

The poorer arcs in season 2 werd jon ( by far because they butchered is book story) and danny where nothing really happened until the end. As this characters are actually the most important it makes the season less popular.

I didn't know the book story then, so I quite didn't care. Different topics however. 

That's why as a viewer I didn't even care about Daenerys in Season 1, her parts were the most boring. 

24 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I didn't know the book story then, so I quite didn't care. Different topics however. 

That's why as a viewer I didn't even care about Daenerys in Season 1, her parts were the most boring. 

Ok, but while both jon and danny arcs were pretty interesting in season 1( for tv viewers only jon was more) in season 2 they don t do anything. For people watching the latter seasons where they are the most popular it makes the second season unpopular.

8 minutes ago, divica said:

Ok, but while both jon and danny arcs were pretty interesting in season 1( for tv viewers only jon was more) in season 2 they don t do anything. For people watching the latter seasons where they are the most popular it makes the second season unpopular.

I guess it's personal, that's why this thread is about viewer's taste. 

Also Season 1 filming quality wasn't greatest though, the improvement in the second is visible.

Don't get me wrong, I got hooked with it from Episode 1 back when it started. 

Archived