R,I.P. Thread

Martini Sigil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

John Mahoney at 77. Always liked him on Frasier. He was in some good movies, too. 

Frasier is one of my all time favorite sitcoms, everyone in that cast and production were top notch.

John Mahoney played a crusty but lovable dad, and while I like goofy dad characters it was a nice change that Mahoney played a dad that gave as good as he got. The kind of actor that could play a dad and you'd get the real feels.

Also great in Say, Anything and his numerous work as a character actor in countless movies and TV shows.

RIP

I started watching Frasier when I was going through a divorce.  I was living with my parents at the time and we would sit as a family and watch the 1 hour of Frasier that was on TBS everynight at like 6pm.  It really helped me through some dark times.  John Mahoney as the dad was great.  He had the right amount of love and curmudgeon combined.  Sad to see him go.

Mahoney was a great actor.  I looked it up yesterday (because I couldn't believe he was only 77) and he was only 53 when Frasier started. I would have thought he was at least 63. Only 15 years older than Kelsey Grammer. Crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2018 at 9:57 AM, Notone said:

RIP Charles Emerson Winchester III. :(

That's the role I will always associate Stiers with.

On 3/4/2018 at 3:40 AM, Tongue Stuck to Wall said:

Sad about David Ogden Stiers - he was a really versatile actor and did great voice-over work.  I still listen/watch the intro to Icewind Dale from time to time just to hear his voice and awesome background music.

You know, I loved both Linville and Stiers. There was no liking Frank more than Charles or vice versa. They were their own unique characters, each one adding to the goodness and richness of the series. I liked that Frank was "Ferret Face" and really had nothing redeeming about him while Charles was obnoxious, and elitist to the point of being bigoted but had a kindness and empathy in him as well. Also that he could hold his own with Hawkeye and B.J.

When Stiers guest starred on a series it was often a memorable and well played character. 

The alien on ST: TNG that had to return home to be euthanized because he reached 60 years old.

Frasier's mother's lab partner on Frasier, who Martin was suspicious of being Frasier's actual father until he found out he was gay. Stiers and Grammar play characters so stylistically similar Fraiser actually does seem a spiritual child of Charles Winchester III.

I don't know if anyone remembers it, but there was a Ryan Reynolds sitcom called "Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place" later becoming "Two Guys and a Girl". Pretty generic sitcom, but for the first season Stiers played a regular customer at the pizza place who was not mentally sound and kept confusing real life with movies. He was very funny as that character.

He was the dad in "Better Off Dead" one of the greatest movies of the 80's. 

He even was Martian Manhunter in the live-action Justice League series pilot from the 90's. Notorious for its cheesyness, and lets face it, Stiers does not have a super hero's physique, and the make up was comical. But still Stiers gave that character some dignity through it all.

His voice work was remarkable. He worked with Disney a few times, but Cogsworth in "Beauty and the Beast" is my favorite role he did with them. I also loved it when he provided voiced for DC comics characters in animated series. He was excellent as The Penguin in "Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman" and voiced several other characters in different DC animated projects.

I was a fan of the guy.

RIP

Archived