R,I.P. Thread

Martini Sigil

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

Anthony Bourdain dead of possible suicide.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crying:

no

I believe it was confirmed to be suicide by hanging. Ugh, I had no idea he suffered from that kind of depression. Sucks, Bourdain was a beast :(

51 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

I believe it was confirmed to be suicide by hanging. Ugh, I had no idea he suffered from that kind of depression. Sucks, Bourdain was a beast :(

He struggled with drug addiction his whole life until somewhat recently and he still struggled with alcohol. By all accounts he was a very depressed person, hence why he sought to squeeze the most out of life. I’d being lying if I said I always watched his show, but when I would flip through channels when  nothing was on I’d always stop on Parts Unknown. He’ll be sorely missed.

11 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Went on CNN to hear about the loss of Bourdain.  Instead his very own network his discussing Trump's tweets with Emmanuel Macron.  Talk about disrespect.  The only thing they're loyal to is their agenda against Trump.  

Ironically, you're doing the very same thing of which you accuse CNN by bringing this dreck in here...

18 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Went on CNN to hear about the loss of Bourdain.  Instead his very own network his discussing Trump's tweets with Emmanuel Macron.  Talk about disrespect.  The only thing they're loyal to is their agenda against Trump.  

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

It was on the front page.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

They also announced it in the morning on the network. 

3 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

No, just stating facts.  It's pertinent to the conversation since this is breaking news and he was a CNN employee.  

You're trying to make a political hot take out of the news of Bourdain's death, which is far more disrespectful and exploitative than CNN continuing its usual coverage after announcing Bourdain's death. 

1 minute ago, IamMe90 said:

They also announced it in the morning on the network. 

You're trying to make a political hot take out of the news of Bourdain's death, which is far more disrespectful and exploitative than CNN continuing its usual coverage after announcing Bourdain's death. 

Why do you think they aren't continuing to cover the story though?  You don't think it's disrespectful to continue the normal programming?  It seems as if the loss means little to his colleagues.  I'm sure most of them would like to get in touch with the families and friends and discuss his life.  Shame on the CNN producers -_-

4 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Why do you think they aren't continuing to cover the story though?  You don't think it's disrespectful to continue the normal programming?  It seems as if the loss means little to his colleagues.  I'm sure most of them would like to get in touch with the families and friends and discuss his life.  Shame on the CNN producers -_-

I think they will probably produce a memorial segment after taking some time to actually make it good, rather than putting a hastily thrown together bit on the air only hours after his death became public knowledge. 

No, I do not think it is disrespectful for them to continue their normal coverage after the announcement, provided they do the above. I honestly think it's in really bad taste to make this about a liberal vendetta against Trump or some such thing in a thread about his death, though. If you thought it was disrespectful of them not to be devoting more coverage to him, fine; but it really comes across as tacky to unnecessarily make this a left/right thing. 

1 minute ago, IamMe90 said:

I think they will probably produce a memorial segment after taking some time to actually make it good, rather than putting a hastily thrown together bit on the air only hours after his death became public knowledge. 

No, I do not think it is normal for them to continue their normal coverage after the announcement, provided they do the above. I honestly think it's in really bad taste to make this about a "liberal vendetta against Trump" in a thread about his death, though. If you thought it was disrespectful of them not to be devoting more coverage to him, fine; but it really comes across as tacky to unnecessarily make this a left/right thing. 

Well it is a delicate balance as far as covering his death since it's apparently a suicide.  He has a young daughter and she and the family don't need anymore mistreatment out of this act.  I agree, I'm sure they will run a Best Of/Memorial segment.

I apologize for any supposed "tackiness" on my part.  It's just that I was completely aghast when I turned it on.

Bourdain's death hit me harder than any other celebrity death in a long time. He's up there with Terry Pratchett and Hunter S. Thompson for me.

He was an incredibly civilized person, which is probably not the first adjective one would choose to apply to a man with his resume and style. But essentially his career was about finding community and common ground with everyone in the world. He traveled where other people dared not, he broke bread with presidents and war-scarred farmers in the most remote locations. He did his best to show the humanity of the people he interacted with and he focused his attention on what regular people ate and thought. He always tried to deliver a genuine perspective, avoiding easy stories and prefabricated storylines.

Personally, the two episodes he did in the Philippines moved me to tears, for different reasons. Our world is much poorer for his passing. I feel the most sadness for his daughter.

Thanks for all the memories, Tony.

This one is hitting really hard, because AB was so much about living life the way I live it...much deeper blow than actors or musicians because I was a huge fan of the person. Just woke up, phone is full of texts from friends and family warning me about this news. 

Fucking hell, this hurts. Am I a complete asshole for almost kinda hoping it comes out he was diagnosed with something terminal and went this way, rather than just...life? It’s a darker world than it was yesterday. 

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Bourdain's death hit me harder than any other celebrity death in a long time. He's up there with Terry Pratchett and Hunter S. Thompson for me.

He was an incredibly civilized person, which is probably not the first adjective one would choose to apply to a man with his resume and style. But essentially his career was about finding community and common ground with everyone in the world. He traveled where other people dared not, he broke bread with presidents and war-scarred farmers in the most remote locations. He did his best to show the humanity of the people he interacted with and he focused his attention on what regular people ate and thought. He always tried to deliver a genuine perspective, avoiding easy stories and prefabricated storylines.

Personally, the two episodes he did in the Philippines moved me to tears, for different reasons. Our world is much poorer for his passing. I feel the most sadness for his daughter.

Lovely.

Really looked up to him. What I loved about him (and his shows) is exactly what you described - finding common ground with people all over the world. Trying to show how most of us are similar, in a world full of people that are continually trying to divide us. Wonderful message. I will miss him greatly.

I thought he was on a extraordinary ride, didnt suspect that ride was of the shooting star variety.

Dude was such an original, I remember thinking how he would be so much more fitting  as the "most interesting guy in the world" for those Dos Equis beer commercials.B)

R.I.P. Anthony, we cannot forget you.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:32 PM, DanteGabriel said:

This is beautifully said. Thanks.

One of the first episodes I thought of on Friday was the one with the cover bands in the Philippines. Don't know why that one came right to mind, but those were wonderful.

Yeah, at the risk of charging into the deep waters of modern politics, it has occurred to me often, long before his death that Bourdain was in so many ways the anti-Trump. He was all about exploring the world and celebrating differences, Trump hates leaving the country and often equates non-American/foreign with wrong. He loved meeting new people and has long been observed as being remarkably open-minded, curious and willing to learn for an Amerucan, Trump essentially embodies the Ugly American cliche. He was a huge voice in the #Metoo movement, Trump was...uh...not. He was a huge advocate for working illegal immigrants (particularly Latin) and well, Trump. He had battled with many addictions and substance abuses, Trump is famously abstemious.

Their tastes in food and fashion couldn’t be farther apart, and though I can’t actually swear to it, I kinda doubt the Donald was much of a punk rock fan. Bourdain is very open to criticism and reconsidered his opinion on positions often, Trump will call you a liar if you question him on, well, anything. Bourdain readily and often admitted that he was incredibly lucky...in spite of coming from ‘can’t afford to pay rent’ affluence to wealth entirely due to his own efforts, Trump is that guy born on 3rd base who brags about his hitting. Bourdain used his celebrity to argue for others, for Palestinisns or to raise awareness on food disparity and wastage, Trump even talks almost exclusively about himself when introducing other people. Bourdain was a martial artist who enjoyed competition because it was humbling to get his ass kicked, Trump only golfs with people who are effusive about how great he is.

I literally feel like I could go on forever. They are both from the NY area and pretty tall and bipedal, but otherwise it’s almost like a comedy sketch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived