R,I.P. Thread

Martini Sigil

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

That man made a fuck tonne of money for a lot of people. I hope be got his share. 

Unfortunately no, I was reading up on him this year and there were some issues with his lawyer and manager robbing him and there being a current lawsuit over it.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Not likely to be something he cares about any more.

RIP Stan Lee, his last cameo in a Marvel movie will be a bitter-sweet moment. I hope it's a good one. Will it be Spider Man Far From Home? Wouldn't that be funny, his final appearance in a Marvel movie not being a Marvel Studios movie?

I was wondering if maybe he has been digitally scanned so that he can be inserted into future movies.

I was never a comic person so my exposure was through cartoons and the movies later on. The X men probably being my favorite. The man touched millions and millions of people in a positive way. 

I was a kid when I watched Spider-man and his Amazing Friends on Saturday mornings.

Most episodes opened with this narrator calling us "true believers". He always seemed so excited about the story that was about to be told I couldn't help but get excited too.

From that point on, it was only a matter of hearing his voice and I knew an interesting story was going to be told.

RIP

RIP Roy Clark.   :crying:

As a child of the 70s - 80s, Hee Haw was a staple in my household and many others. Countless Saturday evenings spent enjoying wholesome cornball humor and good music. Roy Clark and co-host Buck Owens were not only brilliant musicians, but also great stage performers with impeccable comic timing. 

On 11/15/2018 at 3:49 PM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

RIP Roy Clark.   :crying:

As a child of the 70s - 80s, Hee Haw was a staple in my household and many others. Countless Saturday evenings spent enjoying wholesome cornball humor and good music. Roy Clark and co-host Buck Owens were not only brilliant musicians, but also great stage performers with impeccable comic timing. 

I watched Hee Haw sporadically but this is how i knew Roy Clark best:

I'll copy what I wrote there in the comments:

Even when I was four-years-old and I first saw this, it got to me. I didn't understand why the song was like it was and what exactly it was about beyond that the song was about looking back on yesterday and also, though my young brain at the time didn't know the word regret, the song kind of communicated the concept to me. I also felt that someday I would totally get it. And don't ya know? I do. It actually made me feel wistful then for a time yet to come. Now its bittersweet tone message is all too understandable.

2 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I watched Hee Haw sporadically but this is how i knew Roy Clark best:

I'll copy what I wrote there in the comments:

Even when I was four-years-old and I first saw this, it got to me. I didn't understand why the song was like it was and what exactly it was about beyond that the song was about looking back on yesterday and also, though my young brain at the time didn't know the word regret, the song kind of communicated the concept to me. I also felt that someday I would totally get it. And don't ya know? I do. It actually made me feel wistful then for a time yet to come. Now its bittersweet tone message is all too understandable.

That’s an amazing song. Mickey Mantle loved it so much that he requested Roy perform it at his funeral, which eventually Roy did.

1 minute ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

That’s an amazing song. Mickey Mantle loved it so much that he requested Roy perform it at his funeral, which eventually Roy did.

Truth.

And even though I love the Beatle's song "Yesterday", I love this one even more.

I'm not particularly into magic in general, but card tricks have always intrigued me and Ricky Jay was the best at those. He had a distinctive persona onstage (i.e. that guy who knew all sorts of weird trivia and had a mental catalogue of ephemera ready to rattle off on a moment's notice) that he carried into his acting career. And his voice has this weird way of commanding attention in spite of itself. I know I regularly channel his habit of dropping weird factoids of dubious legitimacy as part of my teaching style.

If you've watched enough of his performances, whether videos of his magic shows or his appearances as a guest on late night talk shows, you know he could easily play dumb or act smart depending on the situation. When news first appeared on Twitter that Ricky Jay had died, I honestly didn't know if it was serious or just another trick being played on all of us.

It seems it is true. He will never again crumple a pair of one dollar bills into a single two dollar bill or stymie Steve Martin.

The rest of us? We can read (or re-read) a magazine profile with one of the greatest openings of the form.

Ken Berry passed at 85.

His former wife, actress Jackie Joseph-Lawrence posted the news on Facebook. “F Troop” co-star Larry Storch wrote on Facebook, “We hope you know how much you were loved. Goodnight Captain.”

Berry played Captain Parmenter on Western sitcom “F Troop” for two years in the mid-1960s.

On “Mama’s Family,” he played Vinton Harper on the “Carol Burnett Show” spinoff, which starred Vicki Lawrence, Rue McClanahan and Betty White. The sitcom ran two seasons on NBC in 1983 and 1984, and two years later was revived in syndication, where it was a hit and ran until 1990.

Born in Moline, Ill., Berry started out as a singer and dancer. He served in the U.S. Army special services under Sergeant Leonard Nimoy, entertaining the troops and winning a slot on the “Ed Sullivan Show.”

I watched Mama's Family as a kid and saw F Troop on Nick at Nite when it ran those type of shows. He also was on the Andy Griffin show and starred in its spinoff Mayberry R.F.D. He was always enjoyable to watch whatever he was on. Ml

2 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Ken Berry passed at 85.

I watched Mama's Family as a kid and saw F Troop on Nick at Nite when it ran those type of shows. He also was on the Andy Griffin show and starred in its spinoff Mayberry R.F.D. He was always enjoyable to watch whatever he was on. Ml

As a kid, a couple of my favorite movies were The Cat From Outer Space and Herbie Rides Again, both starred Berry.

Also as a kid I really remember Ken Berry as the Kinney Shoes guy.

There was also a Carol Burnett special that was a drama teleplay and also proto-pilot for Mama's Family. It's called Eunice and basically tracks the character from a teenager all the way to the death of Mama. Berry plays a more intelligent and ambitious version of Eunice's brother named Phil. 

It's available on YouTube, I really recommend it, IMHO the actors give their best performances as these character they've ever done.

RIP Ken Berry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived