R,I.P. Thread

Martini Sigil

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Doris Day died at 97. Frankly I didn’t know she was still alive. One hell of a life she lived.  

She was from my home town. Great life indeed. She had a really beautiful voice. I mostly think of The Man Who Knew Too Much when it comes to her. 

For the people following cars driving in circles.

Nikolaus Andreas "Niki" Lauda has died.

Three times Formula One champion, and arguably more famous for suriviving the horrifying crash on the Nurburg Ring in 1976. One of the all time greats in car racing.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Triskele said:

I think I've now seen the one you're referring to.  Was it the one with the rock bands, the mother who helped shape the travelling America guy's life, and the Christmas music?  

Yeah, that's the one. The part that got me was when the nanny sang Edelweiss in front of her adult kids. The episode opened with the thing about how one of Bourdain's camera guys had been more or less raised by a devoted Filipino nanny who loved him like her own kid, while her kids grew up halfway around the world, without her. I think Edelweiss was the song she sang to the cameraman as a baby. I couldn't help but see discomfort on the faces of the grown kids and reflect on the family's sadness that their mother had to be away from them in order to earn enough money to provide for them.

That family's situation is very common over there. Parents go abroad to work construction, nursing, or nannying, leave their kids with relatives, and don't get to be with them until the kids are grown. There was a really good article on that phenomenon a few years ago. I thought I'd read it on the Atlantic, but I found it again on the Pulitzer site:

https://pulitzercenter.org/reporting/philippines-parenting-box

Bourdain also visited the Philippines on No Reservations. That episode featured a Filipino-American kid who felt awkward and not really accepted in the US or the Philippines, and that one hit home too. That's also the episode where Bourdain said that Filipino roast lechon is "the best pork ever" which is something multiple Filipinos have repeated to me. I don't know if there's a culinary compliment that would make me more proud.

Wherever he went, Bourdain got it. He understood where he was and portrayed it better than other people have.

We still haven't watched any of his back catalog since he died. It makes Mrs. Gabriel too sad. But she says she might be ready soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Rutger Hauer has died at 75.

Roy Batty in Blade Runner, Navarre in Ladyhawke, Martin in Flesh + Blood, Cardinal Roarke in Sin City and so many other roles.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears in rain."

16 minutes ago, Leofric said:

Rutger Hauer has died at 75.

Roy Batty in Blade Runner, Navarre in Ladyhawke, Martin in Flesh + Blood, Cardinal Roarke in Sin City and so many other roles.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears in rain."

Crazy that he passed in year when Blade Runner's story takes place.

That speech at the end of Blade Runner is among my favourite movie moments ever, especially knowing that he himself cut down the original sppech and just used the bits he liked the most and that the Tears in rain line was improvised. Add to that an impressive body of work, where he was always good even if the movie around him wasn't always all that great. The Hitcher being one of his greatest roles in my opinion. 

RIP

Tbh. It's been a toss up in favorite scenes in that movie.

I also like the dialogue involving Pris'es: Then we're stupid, and we will die.

Ofc in the dubbed version of the movie I grew up with is a wee bit different, and I like this version a bit better.

"We will die, because we're stupid." And then the calm and self-assured response.

"No. We won't." Pretty badass.

Damn, RiP Rutger Hauer. A very fine actor indeed. I knew nothing of his personal life, but in pretty much all respects I think that's a good thing. His art did all the talking and hopefully it means no skeletons in the closet to come to light posthumously.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pal Benkö passed aged 91.

One of the last remanants (other than Spassky) from chess golden age with Tal, Botvinnik and Fischer (before he went full crazy) playing.  I am gonna miss his christmas chess puzzles over at chessbase.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived