R,I.P. Thread

Martini Sigil

RIP Neil Peart.

This is crushing.  I grew up in a 'religious community' (sortof-almost-cult) where I was taught to believe secular music was literally the devil trying to possess me.  I believed it too.  Until my sister's friend played A Farewell to Kings when our parents weren't home.  I heard Cygnus X-1 and nothing was the same again.  It's significance in my life is huge.  It represents a moment when my eyes opened...I woke up...whatever.  Started to anyway.  Rush has always carried a little more weight in my esteem because of that.

I am listening to Fountain of Lamneth right now.

Omg just read about Neal Peart. I'm a huge Rush fan and have always fealt they set the bar that every rock group should shoot for.

Had the immense pleasure to see Neal perform live many years back and it was hands down the greatest stage show I have every seen, even topping Santana and the Stones who I seen live as well in that period.

There was just no-one like Neal, so original, so dedicated a true artisan and the original rock and roll showstopper. Neal and Rush have influenced legions of musicians and touched millions of fans like few before them. Universally acknowledged as in the very select group of top drummers in the history of rock. And in my opinion the very greatest drummer ever and the greatest live showman to ever grace a stage. 

57 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Just saw this... ouch...

Such sad news. I learned more about history from his books and documentaries than I could ever have hoped to learn at school. Also, kudos for being the only one of the Monty Python dudes who didn't evolve into a dreadful, gammon-soaked tosser. RIP.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

I knew he was diagnosed with dementia but still this is painful to read. He really was a comic genius with an absolutely wonderful sense of the absurd. I watched an interview once where the members were asked who was the one with the strangest sense of humour and Terry Jones was the one most picked. Yeah, this one hurts.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:33 PM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Neil Peart dead at 67.

This hurts a lot. I can’t think of a musician whose body of work has meant more to me over the years. :crying:

ETA: link

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-peart-rush-obituary-936221/

Very sad news. He had a lot of tragedy in his life with both his wife and daughter dying, and now this.

I can't help but notice that first Gord Downie, a great Canadian music icon, died of brain cancer and now Neil Peart died of the same disease.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ran said:

A true legend of Hollywood. I think he was the last surviving A-lister of the era, it perhaps nearly so.

He also allegedly raped a very young Natalie Wood, in an era where something like that was almost certainly not uncommon.

3 hours ago, Gronzag said:

He also allegedly raped a very young Natalie Wood, in an era where something like that was almost certainly not uncommon.

His name showed up because someone pretending to be Robert Downey Jr. attached Douglas's name to the biography's account that Wood said she had been raped by a notable actor. It seems weird that some anonymous grifter says a thing and suddenly it has to be mentioned in half the obituaries.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

His name showed up because someone pretending to be Robert Downey Jr. attached Douglas's name to the biography's account that Wood said she had been raped by a notable actor. It seems weird that some anonymous grifter says a thing and suddenly it has to be mentioned in half the obituaries.

So, that's how the rumor started? I only heard about it today, and since it's everywhere, I assumed that it might be an open secret that no media wants to publish due to legal concerns. Kinda like this Amber Heard situation, where the US media is completely ignoring this new leaked audio.

Would you delete the post?

Just now, Gronzag said:

So, that's how the rumor started?

While Douglas's name was speculated before this, it was only because people were rattling off every notable actor who fit the claim in the biography until this yahoo who showed up basically just harvesting (and grossly embellishing) information that was already out there for a decade or more.

I'm hesitant to delete needlessly, as doubtless this will just come up again. 

Archived