R,I.P. Thread

Martini Sigil

22 hours ago, Ran said:

A true legend of Hollywood. I think he was the last surviving A-lister of the era, it perhaps nearly so.

I'm not sure how one defines "A-lister", but Olivia de Havilland is a few months older than Kirk Douglas and is still alive as of this moment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_de_Havilland

On 2/7/2020 at 7:08 AM, Ormond said:

I'm not sure how one defines "A-lister", but Olivia de Havilland is a few months older than Kirk Douglas and is still alive as of this moment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_de_Havilland

Her Award collection definately justfies putting her in the A-Lister category.

Also, depending on the definition of "era" (if generously applied to anything pre 1960) then Sidney Portier is also still around and kicking. Admittedly he is a good 10 years away from the age of 100.

13 hours ago, Heartofice said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51517973

Might not be of interest to anyone outside the UK, but the television presenter Caroline Flack has killed herself at the age of 40. 

It is quite horrible that this has happened. I was never a fan of hers but the treatment she has gotten was appalling.

The sudden 180 of the very media who were happy to trash her just earlier this week and are now, without the slightest self-reflection, calling this a complete, shocking, tragedy is pretty nauseating.

(I wasn’t a fan or critic of her, i had only the vaguest idea who she was until recently)

I’ve never seen Love Island and know nothing about it really except for the fact that three people involved with it have killed themselves in the last two years. What the hell.

Regardless of Flack’s legal problems (which does seem like a dodgy situation on the face of it), that show needs to seriously work on its mental health support as an employer. Or just get off the air.

10 hours ago, john said:

I’ve never seen Love Island and know nothing about it really except for the fact that three people involved with it have killed themselves in the last two years. What the hell.

Regardless of Flack’s legal problems (which does seem like a dodgy situation on the face of it), that show needs to seriously work on its mental health support as an employer. Or just get off the air.

The show and tv in general is a double edged sword. Most people go on it looking for fame and money but aren’t prepared for all the negatives that come with it. Maybe these shows should do more to help participants, but at the same time anyone looking for that sort of attention probably needs some sort of help anyway.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

The show and tv in general is a double edged sword. Most people go on it looking for fame and money but aren’t prepared for all the negatives that come with it. Maybe these shows should do more to help participants, but at the same time anyone looking for that sort of attention probably needs some sort of help anyway.

It’s too much tragedy for one show though. Jeremy Kyle, which is a show that explicitly mocks its guests, had one suicide and that ended the show.

• 2 weeks later...

Max von Sydow was one of the greats of cinema, just an all-around superb actor who brought his 100% A-game to everything he was in (and he was in some real bollocks, but was always excellent in them). This is really sad news for someone who was around for such a ridiculous amount of time: he made his film debut in 1949!

His genre credit list is bonkers:

The Seventh SealThe ExorcistFlash GordonConan the BarbarianNever Say Never AgainDuneGhostbusters IINeedful ThingsThe Young Indiana Jones ChroniclesJudge DreddMinority Report, Solomon KaneThe TudorsShutter IslandSkyrimStar Wars and Game of Thrones. Wow.

The news keeping getting worse today. Max von Sydow was amazing. Even in trash, he could put on a masterclass in acting (like his two minutes in Conan; which is trash, but lots of fun).

RIP.

Archived