R,I.P. Thread

Martini Sigil

19 hours ago, Fez said:

The news keeping getting worse today. Max von Sydow was amazing. Even in trash, he could put on a masterclass in acting (like his two minutes in Conan; which is trash, but lots of fun).

RIP.

Good point about Conan--Max Von Sydow gives that small scene as King Osric some grandeur, melancholy, anger and frustration, but he's a lion in winter, in decline but still on his throne for a while longer. And he plays the pivotal role of giving Conan and Company some motivation for their mission and insight into his true feelings as an aging monarch:

“There comes a time, thief, when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the gold loses its luster, when the throne room becomes a prison, and all that is left is a father's love for his child.” ((Family values in the Hyborian Age))

Good dialogue, well delivered, what can one say but thanks and RIP Max.

22 hours ago, Fez said:

The news keeping getting worse today. Max von Sydow was amazing. Even in trash, he could put on a masterclass in acting (like his two minutes in Conan; which is trash

With you until you called Conan the Barbarian trash. It's one of the greatest fantasy films ever made!

3 hours ago, Tyrion's Double Axe said:

Good point about Conan--Max Von Sydow gives that small scene as King Osric some grandeur, melancholy, anger and frustration, but he's a lion in winter, in decline but still on his throne for a while longer.

So memorable.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

With you until you called Conan the Barbarian trash. It's one of the greatest fantasy films ever made!

The movie is a lot of fun, and has fantastic music. It's still trash; but great trash.

All I'm saying is, it's no Labyrinth.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

So memorable.

With one of the greatest music scores in history from the late great Basil Poledouris!

Theology/Civilization, Anvil of Crom, Riddle of Steel... All time greats in my humble opinion!

6 hours ago, Tyrion's Double Axe said:

Good point about Conan--Max Von Sydow gives that small scene as King Osric some grandeur, melancholy, anger and frustration, but he's a lion in winter, in decline but still on his throne for a while longer. And he plays the pivotal role of giving Conan and Company some motivation for their mission and insight into his true feelings as an aging monarch:

“There comes a time, thief, when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the gold loses its luster, when the throne room becomes a prison, and all that is left is a father's love for his child.” ((Family values in the Hyborian Age))

Good dialogue, well delivered, what can one say but thanks and RIP Max.

Also, Osrisc is Conan's future self, a hint and warning of what Conan risks becoming when he becomes King of Aquilonia. A more significant role and appearance than it first appears.

3 hours ago, Gronzag said:

With one of the greatest music scores in history from the late great Basil Poledouris!

Theology/Civilization, Anvil of Crom, Riddle of Steel... All time greats in my humble opinion!

Yes bravo to the late Basil--saw where he conducted an orchestra in Europe to play Conan music with video screens playing scenes from film-like a live soundtrack to the clips. He was dying of cancer and passed away a short time later, but what a commitment to his work. Basil also did Red Dawn, Free Willy, Hunt for Red October and Lassie! From super action adventure to animal film family classics, the guy could do it all. I think he popularized the whole men, women, children choirs sounding like they are chanting in Latin or some ancient language or singing soft slow eerie lyrics while some warrior whacks a foe in slow motion. Another one that we missed, so RIP BASIL

• 2 weeks later...

Kenny Rogers has passed away at the age of 81. Was never really a country music fan, but he was so well-known a figure in the 80s when I was growing up. I don't recall when I first heard "The Gambler", but I know I heard it pretty often over the years. Actually, could have been a re-run of The Muppet Show that made the most impression on me, because I definitely remember this:

On 3/21/2020 at 8:03 AM, Ran said:

Kenny Rogers has passed away at the age of 81. Was never really a country music fan, but he was so well-known a figure in the 80s when I was growing up. I don't recall when I first heard "The Gambler", but I know I heard it pretty often over the years. Actually, could have been a re-run of The Muppet Show that made the most impression on me, because I definitely remember this:

Not a country music fan either, but definitely a muppets fan! My mom recorded the episodes for me on Betamax when I was a kid, and this is one episode I loved specifically for this song. Loved it so much my grandmother went and bought me the album.

When I was a teenager I went with my parents to see Kenny in Atlantic City. At one point in the show Kenny asks to bring the lights up. He says he likes to look at his audience. He likes to find all the men sitting with their arms folded sulking because their wives told them they were going to see Dolly Parton. My dad was sitting with his arms folded when he said that and started unfolding his arms. Kenny looked at him and said "Don't try unfolding them, I see you!"

Then he asked my father's name, my father told him "Luciano" Kenny responds "Nice Irish name!"

Then about 45 minutes later between songs Kenny was talking about a dream he had, he said he remembered all of us in the audience being there then specifically says "Luciano was there!"

My dad was never a country music fan either but after that night he was a Kenny Rogers fan.

RIP Kenny :(

Archived