Martini Sigil

R,I.P. Thread

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Every time I see this thread pop up on page one my heart plops into my stomach.

This one hurts.

Odo on DS9, Clayton on Benson, Paul Lewiston on Boston Legal, funny villain from Police Academy 5, and even Col. West on the home video release of Star Trek VI. Loved you in all those roles plus more.

One of the best guests any sci-fi con could have, he loved the fans and the fans loved him. You taught us how to say your last name... "Aw. Bear. Szhawn. Wah." more than 25 years ago and I haven't forgotten, and I never will.

RIP :(

Neil Peart dead at 67.

This hurts a lot. I can’t think of a musician whose body of work has meant more to me over the years. :crying:

ETA: link

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-peart-rush-obituary-936221/

Edited by Ferrum Aeternum

RIP to one of the greatest drummers of all time. I wish I could be more eloquent in expressing my feelings at this loss, but 'Fuck' seems an entirely appropriate response now.

Fuck :crying: 

RIP Neil Peart.

This is crushing.  I grew up in a 'religious community' (sortof-almost-cult) where I was taught to believe secular music was literally the devil trying to possess me.  I believed it too.  Until my sister's friend played A Farewell to Kings when our parents weren't home.  I heard Cygnus X-1 and nothing was the same again.  It's significance in my life is huge.  It represents a moment when my eyes opened...I woke up...whatever.  Started to anyway.  Rush has always carried a little more weight in my esteem because of that.

I am listening to Fountain of Lamneth right now.

Omg just read about Neal Peart. I'm a huge Rush fan and have always fealt they set the bar that every rock group should shoot for.

Had the immense pleasure to see Neal perform live many years back and it was hands down the greatest stage show I have every seen, even topping Santana and the Stones who I seen live as well in that period.

There was just no-one like Neal, so original, so dedicated a true artisan and the original rock and roll showstopper. Neal and Rush have influenced legions of musicians and touched millions of fans like few before them. Universally acknowledged as in the very select group of top drummers in the history of rock. And in my opinion the very greatest drummer ever and the greatest live showman to ever grace a stage. 

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Very sad. Easily my favourite Python. Even outside of his absurd ability to make me laugh, he seemed like a great guy and his books and tv shows outside of Python were great too. 

Nobody could dress up as a woman and scream like he did.

57 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Just saw this... ouch...

Such sad news. I learned more about history from his books and documentaries than I could ever have hoped to learn at school. Also, kudos for being the only one of the Monty Python dudes who didn't evolve into a dreadful, gammon-soaked tosser. RIP.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

I knew he was diagnosed with dementia but still this is painful to read. He really was a comic genius with an absolutely wonderful sense of the absurd. I watched an interview once where the members were asked who was the one with the strangest sense of humour and Terry Jones was the one most picked. Yeah, this one hurts.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:33 PM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Neil Peart dead at 67.

This hurts a lot. I can’t think of a musician whose body of work has meant more to me over the years. :crying:

ETA: link

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-peart-rush-obituary-936221/

Very sad news. He had a lot of tragedy in his life with both his wife and daughter dying, and now this.

I can't help but notice that first Gord Downie, a great Canadian music icon, died of brain cancer and now Neil Peart died of the same disease.