Martini Sigil

R,I.P. Thread

On 3/4/2018 at 9:57 AM, Notone said:

RIP Charles Emerson Winchester III. :(

That's the role I will always associate Stiers with.

On 3/4/2018 at 3:40 AM, Tongue Stuck to Wall said:

Sad about David Ogden Stiers - he was a really versatile actor and did great voice-over work.  I still listen/watch the intro to Icewind Dale from time to time just to hear his voice and awesome background music.

You know, I loved both Linville and Stiers. There was no liking Frank more than Charles or vice versa. They were their own unique characters, each one adding to the goodness and richness of the series. I liked that Frank was "Ferret Face" and really had nothing redeeming about him while Charles was obnoxious, and elitist to the point of being bigoted but had a kindness and empathy in him as well. Also that he could hold his own with Hawkeye and B.J.

When Stiers guest starred on a series it was often a memorable and well played character. 

The alien on ST: TNG that had to return home to be euthanized because he reached 60 years old.

Frasier's mother's lab partner on Frasier, who Martin was suspicious of being Frasier's actual father until he found out he was gay. Stiers and Grammar play characters so stylistically similar Fraiser actually does seem a spiritual child of Charles Winchester III.

I don't know if anyone remembers it, but there was a Ryan Reynolds sitcom called "Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place" later becoming "Two Guys and a Girl". Pretty generic sitcom, but for the first season Stiers played a regular customer at the pizza place who was not mentally sound and kept confusing real life with movies. He was very funny as that character.

He was the dad in "Better Off Dead" one of the greatest movies of the 80's. 

He even was Martian Manhunter in the live-action Justice League series pilot from the 90's. Notorious for its cheesyness, and lets face it, Stiers does not have a super hero's physique, and the make up was comical. But still Stiers gave that character some dignity through it all.

His voice work was remarkable. He worked with Disney a few times, but Cogsworth in "Beauty and the Beast" is my favorite role he did with them. I also loved it when he provided voiced for DC comics characters in animated series. He was excellent as The Penguin in "Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman" and voiced several other characters in different DC animated projects.

I was a fan of the guy.

RIP

4 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

You know, I loved both Linville and Stiers. There was no liking Frank more than Charles or vice versa. They were their own unique characters, each one adding to the goodness and richness of the series. I liked that Frank was "Ferret Face" and really had nothing redeeming about him while Charles was obnoxious, and elitist to the point of being bigoted but had a kindness and empathy in him as well. Also that he could hold his own with Hawkeye and B.J.

I was very glad they took Charles in a totally different direction than Frank Burns.  But at that point M*A*S*H had gotten pretty sappy. 

Ogden Stiers did a great job with that character.  I wish they'd given him just a bit more rage about being stuck in Korea, but that wasn't where the writers were at that point.

The thing that strikes me most is that Larry Linville was perhaps the most popular man in the cast to his colleagues.  I'd love to sit and hear those who are still alive tell Larry Linville stories.  Sadly, Gary Burghoff - who played the adorable Radar - was apparently as big a jerk as you could find.  Sometime in the summer of 1975, Charles Nelson Reilly took an extended leave from the CBS hit game show Match Game.  The network got Gary Burghoff to sit in his slot.  Holy crap, what a sh** storm that was.  If you see it in reruns today, you can see how the cast can BARELY stand the obnoxious twit and if you can pay attention to how much time he seems to try to hog attention during other performer's turns, you can start to guess why. 

I just today heard that comedian and activist Barry Crimmins passed away last week. If you don’t know who that is, I hope you will watch the documentary about his life titled Call Me Lucky. 

Dude lived a hell of a lot longer than expected.  It's terrible when we as a species lose a mind like his, but we were lucky to have him as long as we did.

Yep, just read an article about his passing and only thing i really noticed is Big Bang Theory was left out of it. They mentioned him on The Simpsons and I think South Park(?) but not Big Bang. He was on it at least 3-4 times and was always good for a laugh. Loved it when Sheldon was playing words with friends with him.

Damn, RIP one of the great scientific minds of our time. 

Rest in peace, you beautiful bastard.

Managed to have several affairs while in a wheelchair, all while solving scientific mysteries of the universe.

You, sir, are my hero.

42 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Great tribute to the effect Hawking had on pop-culture.

If you haven't seen his epic takedown of John Oliver on Last Week Tonight, I highly recommend it.

This was absolutely hilarious.

16 hours ago, Gronzag said:

Depressing.

But also uplifting. There really aren't limits to what humans can do. :) And it's wonderful to think a man who thought he'd die before turning 25 instead died of old age.

Even though he was on borrowed time, it doesn't hurt any less... Stephen Hawking was a brilliant light in a world darkened by ignorance and hate.... 

12 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Steven-Bochco-innovative-co-creator-of-‘NYPD-Blue’-‘Hill-Street-Blues’-dies-at-74

L.A. Law was the show back in the day. 

Yes, Hill Street Blues was amazing and NYPD Blue was a groundbreaking series, but when L.A. Law was in its prime it was HUGE. 

Doogie Howser M.D. was a fun program as well.

Hill Street Blues changed television for good and forever. Everything we watch now owes a debt to Steven Bochco. His use of ensemble casts and long story arcs was revolutionary and utterly compelling. He was one of the greats. 

5 hours ago, maarsen said:

Hill Street Blues changed television for good and forever. Everything we watch now owes a debt to Steven Bochco. His use of ensemble casts and long story arcs was revolutionary and utterly compelling. He was one of the greats. 

I agree.

When Hill Street was on originally I was too young to appreciate though, now it's on Hulu and I'm getting into it.

But when L.A. Law started, I was just starting middle school and all the "cool" kids were ones that watched that show, so I started too and fell in love with it.

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2018/04/06/studio-ghibli-co-founder-isao-takahata-dead-at-82/

Isao Takahata, the author of masterpiece "Grave of the Fireflies" has passed away. Those who watched this animated movie in production of Studio Ghibli know what amazing artist has left us.

Rest in Peace and may the world remember that fireflies... :(