Tell Me Something Good!

Lily Valley

Had to cover for my co-worker last week and she is working on this insane deal, plus I have my 2 deals, and my boss was totally stressing me out.

But when she came in Friday morning, the first thing she did was buy me a bag of peanut M&Ms and write me a little note thanking me <3  

It was nice seeing that on my desk when I came in

On 5/30/2017 at 6:53 PM, k i n g said:

Immortality might be possible someday.

ew this is the something good thread 

I'm exhausted after 1 day on this planet let alone 1 thousand 

as for my something good - 

Learning to drive atm? One step closer to escaping this boring economically deprived hometown asap 

I am at a union convention this week and we had a speaker, if that is the correct term, from a union local that represents the workers at an agency that deals with the deaf and hard of hearing. She gave her talk in ASL. The sight of 1000+ people raising their hands and wiggling their fingers to signify applause  was absolutely breathtaking.

Maarsen, that is SUPER.  

Theda, learning to drive makes you a free woman.  I SUCK at driving, but knowing I can manage it in an emergency is AWESOME. :cheers:

Lany, <3 to your colleague!  

Shout out to the thunder God for hail damage avoidance!

I have the day off today and found 3 beers in the fridge.  Also, my roommate finally stopped talking.  Xo nerds!

On 6/2/2017 at 2:30 PM, Lily Valley said:

Maarsen, that is SUPER.  

Theda, learning to drive makes you a free woman.  I SUCK at driving, but knowing I can manage it in an emergency is AWESOME. :cheers:

Lany, <3 to your colleague!  

Shout out to the thunder God for hail damage avoidance!

I have the day off today and found 3 beers in the fridge.  Also, my roommate finally stopped talking.  Xo nerds!

cheers to you and your students darling girl...next time i am heading down south, i shall need a place to sleep...you open?

18 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

cheers to you and your students darling girl...next time i am heading down south, i shall need a place to sleep...you open?

If you don't mind shotgun style quarters, cats, a Good Dog and termites, ALWAYS.  I'll make the coffee!

After I separated I have been blown away with how great my friends are. You are the bestest.

13 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

If you don't mind shotgun style quarters, cats, a Good Dog and termites, ALWAYS.  I'll make the coffee!

Mmmmmmm coffee!!

19 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

i'll bring the Bailey's!

Heading to sunny Texas tomorrow for a week of visiting old friends in Dallas & Austin. Gonna drink some Shiner, eat lots of BBQ, and maybe even get me a conceal & carry license. Yeehaw!

On 6/7/2017 at 2:12 PM, Lily Valley said:

What, termites but no roaches? I'm not buying that. ;)  The swarms began last week, and the roaches are in boats now thanks to all this rain.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2017 at 1:03 AM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Heading to sunny Texas tomorrow for a week of visiting old friends in Dallas & Austin. Gonna drink some Shiner, eat lots of BBQ, and maybe even get me a conceal & carry license. Yeehaw!

What, termites but no roaches? I'm not buying that. ;)  The swarms began last week, and the roaches are in boats now thanks to all this rain.

Late replying, but we ALWAYS have roaches.  It's late summer / mid-summer when they start to swarm here.  I haven't seen them doing that awful flapping about and get stuck in my hair thing YET.  Thank God we didn't get that with the wasps and termites.  Cats would have lost their minds.

In the GOOD NEWS:  Students and I just back from a test flight for the eclipse.  Their experiment is about a MILLION MAN HOURS from being ready to fly, but we showed up anyway with something.   We had a wonderful time in Southern Illinois.  My students were ten minutes early all week and they hauled equipment in the heat as if they were roadies for The Rolling Stones.  I couldn't be more proud.  They were even interviewed by local TV and radio.  In addition, it's Ramadan.  One of my students is Muslim.  The camaraderie that was built around eating a nice dinner at sunset made me really proud to be part of my scientific community.  We were co-coordinating with both the State University in Louisiana and the liaison for the solar eclipse.  Everyone took it in stride that we'd eat dinner after 8 on the nights we planned to go out.  

Frankly, I'm exhausted.  It was a wonderful week.  Even if all of the test flight was an epic fail, (which it might be, because it was totally raining on our beautiful electronics all day) the trip was a huge success.  

Finally, only half of our team could make this trip.  We are coming up with a half dozen pranks to play on the teams that stayed behind.  Everything from flat-out lies to visual jokes for the Eclipse trip.  Your input would be valued.  To steer you in the correct direction we already are planning the following:

1)  Dressing up the mouth of the portable planetarium to look like Cthulhu (This is a black blow-up igloo...c'mon, giant googly eyes and some tentacles.  Does Cthulhu have eyes?  Not sure, but the UNIVERSE IS INSIDE!)

2)  Telling the missing students they have to dig their own latrines at the campsite

3) Telling the missing students that the Yankees absolutely can't understand our accent and giving them "West Coast Neutral" language tapes.

4)  Handing them pinhole cardboard glasses for their "sun viewers" before I give them the good ones to look at the eclipse

5) Giving them a "Solar Eclipse FACTS" writing exercise (I may do this anyway, there are members of the general public and police department who think that the viewing glasses are to protect them from "strange rays" during the eclipse.  Like.....they need to wear them all day or they'll go blind or turn into a zombie or something)

6)  I am going to jump out of my car and imitate a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court 

7)  Your idea here!

*"Trickster!  Trickster! Stole the sun for a Prank!"

Archived