Am I the only one ...., v. 3

Count Balerion

rocksniffer asked:

"am i the only one who hopes the one trailer i have seen means jon, dany, and cersei are all in against the white walker army... "

I haven't seen any trailers, although I've read rumours and the like on the fora ... I wouldn't ally with Cersei as far as I could kick her, myself. Although I daresay it'll be presented as absolutely essential to the war against the WW; but is it? (I guess from the rumours and leaks that Dany must indeed make it to Westeros this coming season.)

Am I ... who sometimes finds the gritty realism in ASOIAF a bit grittier than necessary?

Not in the slightest. But that may just be because we are soft and need to understand how brutal life was in feudal societies.

Am I the only one around here who silently cheered when Tyrion snapped out of his funk in ADwD and started scheming again?

You are not alone in that, RB. It was nice to see Tyrion back in form. I was getting worried about him and those mushrooms of his.

AITOOAHW had fun over the weekend talking to a show only (going to read the books after the show is done) person over the weekend, enumerating all the characters who are not dead in the books? I threw in the Oberyn poisoned Tywin theory for fun. He liked that one.

Probably not; I haven't done that myself, although I do talk to show-only people and will doubtless do so next week. They probably don't know HBO's planning spinoffs, as I don't think they follow this stuff very closely.

Am I ... who finds out afterwards that he's perpetrated silly typos? Although I suppose I was technically correct, in the previous version of this thread, when I said 4425 posts were a lot. Just not correct that there were that many in the thread.

No, I don't think so. 

Am I the only one around here who knows that season 7 is going to absolutely horrible and outrageous in terms of storytelling (and costumes and characters)  but still feels a morbid and undue excitement for the upcoming episodes? 

Oh, Gods no. I've been getting some hype lately as well, even though I don't doubt that (a decent, or indecent, slice of) the storytelling will be rubbish.

Am I ... who at first thought having a "Robert's Rebellion" spinoff would be boring ("We know that stuff already"; but do we?), and then said "Wait, we'd get Rhaegar, Lyanna, Varys (what was he up to?), Aerys ..." and told myself to come off it? Although I think I'd still prefer D&E.

Probably not? I only own one copy of each book in English. It was traumatic to read even the blurb of the translated version. I considered getting the hard cover copies once all the books are out but six years passed and I gave up on that one. 

Am am I the only one around here who wants more flashbacks but also dreads potential casting mistakes...? 

Very rarely will I be satisfied with a "younger" casting of a character. The younger actor is either not very good, or if they are half-way decent, the way in which the two actors portray the character are too different to make the portrayal realistic.

AITOOAH who occasionally needs to be reassured WoW is coming?

No, although in my case it might be more than occasionally. (It is coming, yes?)

I liked young Cersei, but have no very clear recollection of the young versions of other characters. I guess pre-Hodor Hodor was OK.

Am I .... who would rather end up in Narnia than Westeros? The thing is that in Narnia some magic would probably keep me alive, and Westeros is scary. Probably someone would end up torturing me over there, just because. In Narnia, worst-case scenario is I get turned to stone.

No, you're not. While I like to read about Westeros I don't want to live there. 

Am I the only one around here who wants to see more Melisandre chapters? I don't like her as a person, but I find her character pretty interesting and would like to know more about her. 

I think additional Mel chapters would be good. When I first joined the forum, I was kinda blown away by the level of Mel hate. I think more chapters would serve to make her character more relatable at the very least. I am personally not a Mel fan, but I am not a hater either.

AITOOAHW wonders if there will be many POV deaths in WoW? Aside from the prologues and epilogues, POV characters have had lots of cliffhanger moments, but I can only count a few confirmed (or near enough to confirmed) POV deaths: Ned, Cat, Arys Oakheart, and Quentyn (less than one per book).

I wonder vaguely if there's going to BE a WOW; but that's a good question, and the character who jumped immediately to mind was Cersei. A POV death for her could be pretty powerful, even if she isn't exactly the most sympathetic character.

AITO.... who doesn't know -- and this is a horrible confession -- why Show!Jaime gets called "Larry" (as opposed to, say, Bob or Fred)?

Had not heard this. But I do not follow the show nor news about the show, so you asking makes it the first I knew of it. Now I know there have been a lot of Anglo-Saxon names on the show (Robert, Ned, Catelyn, Jon, Brandon, etc.) But I had not heard of Larry in Westeros (or Lawrence, the formal name that springs to my mind when I hear Larry). So in short, I have no idea why show!Jaime would be called Larry.

Am I... who does not watch the show partly on principle, but also because they do not have HBO?

Almost certainly not. I'd go for RR or Dunk and Egg; don't know how interesting the others would be. I'll probably watch anyway.

Larry for ShowJaime is something I've seen in Ranting threads, also (I guess originally?) here: http://theculturalvacuum.tumblr.com/post/116816249708/the-book-snob-glossary ("Larry Lannister: The second-oldest Lannister deserves our pity because he seems to have some kind of multiple personality disorder, or something")

Am I ... who sometimes waits a while before responding to a thread when it's not very active, b/c I don't want to hog it?

No you're not. I hated her on my first read of the novels and didn't re-read them later, because I hated her inner voice so much. Was a hater for quite some time, but recently listened to the audio books including her chapters and I started to like her, but she's nowhere near my favourite characters. I like her, but I don't love her these days. 

Am I the only one around here who found Davos's chapters a bit boring when I first read the books? He really grew on me during my re-reads, but on my first read I found him kinda dull. 

Oh no, I found some of his chapters dullish as well, although they did have the advantage of introducing Stannis and his dialogue. The character is perhaps simpler and more straightforward than some of the others, which is why one can both like him AND find him a tad boring.

Am I ... who only recently discovered the Preston Jacobs GOT rant-reviews? 

Archived