Sense8: why...so...sensitive (spoilers)

Kalbear

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

What does this say? I can't see it... I assume from the anger that they aren't making another season?

Yeah. Netflix canceled it. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Well fucking great. I had just gotten into it, and quite enjoyed it. Any reasons given as to why it was cancelled?

Apparently Season 2 was a lot more expensive than Season 1, with reports suggesting that the budget went up from $6 million per episode to $9 million. That's completely unsustainable for a show pulling in the numbers Sense8 was.

It does raise the questions of why they started renegotiating the actor contracts back in March and why they suddenly made a decision now rather than in August (as was originally mooted). My suspicion is that they asked Lana Wachowski to tone down the scale for Season 3 and drop the budget back down and she refused. Ran made a point about JMS, who has a very strong budget-control ethic from his earlier work, not being involved as a production-level producer in Season 2 (whilst he was for S1) which may have also had an impact.

One example of the chaos of Season 2: the trip to Sao Paulo wasn't in JMS's script, apparently Lana added it during filming and they organised flying out to Brazil and shooting the sequence on the fly. That's...mental.

25 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Apparently Season 2 was a lot more expensive than Season 1, with reports suggesting that the budget went up from $6 million per episode to $9 million. That's completely unsustainable for a show pulling in the numbers Sense8 was.

But what are the numbers? I suppose that with all the new shows Netflix is doing, this one may look a pricey project. And yeah, the Sao Paolo Pride scenes looked more like a field trip than a proper shooting. 

HBO learned with Rome that the prestige of a network is more than the viewership of one show. Walking away from one of their marquee shows after only 2 seasons, particularly the show most experimenting with new ways of television, is a troubling sign. Combine this being a very queer show with the direction OITNB trend in its last season and I don't think it's a good look for their commitment to diversity content.

Fucking hell. I mean they could have at least given them another xmas special to wrap the storyline up. Because I can see how they could wrap it up pretty quickly if need be. Otherwise why the hell did they end it the way they did?

I'm starting to wonder whether Netflix have overstretched themselves? There seems to be a lot of cancellations occurring all of a sudden from a time when it seemed a show always got a final season after a cancellation.

I'm pretty pissed. Especially when I get a feeling of guilt over watching the marvel shows and how Netflix kill their most unique show in favour of more marvel shows. Because I can see how the two could be compared and how Marvel probably destroys sense8 in viewers/new subscriptions. I'd happily swap no more seasons of the current Defenders gang for a seaso 3 of sense8.

I'd consider cancelling my subscription for a while if they have a "reason for leaving" section where I can type "you cancelled sense8"

The issue though is that a guy at work who was a massive fan of season one didn't enjoy season 2. Maybe this is more common than us on this thread thought possible. Weirdly his reason for not liking it was that he felt it was "too positive" and that everyone was "too nice". And that the "everyday lives" of the characters now felt cheesy when they were caught up with government agencies and other clusters.

Still it's shitty when their most diverse show (except for the depiction of non-beautiful people) and one that took advantage of NEtflix as an international channel is canned.

33 minutes ago, Risto said:

But what are the numbers? I suppose that with all the new shows Netflix is doing, this one may look a pricey project. And yeah, the Sao Paolo Pride scenes looked more like a field trip than a proper shooting. 

In the US and UK, apparently considerably less than any of the Marvel shows, House of CardsOrange is the New BlackStranger Things, even 13 Reasons Why (which appears to have been made for $14, so the fact it drew in massively more numbers than S8 is an equation that Netflix approves of). It's quite far down the list.

In some foreign markets it did far better. I've seen some claims that it's Netflix's biggest-ever show in Brazil, but since Netflix don't release numbers we'll probably never know for sure. But the money Brazilian subscribers bring in is probably far less than in the US, so that only helps up to a point.

I've got a strong suspicion they would have continued in return for a budget cut, but Lana Wachowski refused to countenance that. And it might be that the Wachowskis were having second thoughts about getting bogged down for 5-7 years in television before getting a chance to direct another movie.

Red snow - I'll be cancelling mine in response, I've not even used it for much lately, most new things don't come out on it immediately here and half the things that would are on another provider anyway. I was signed up for Netflix shows, so they lose me.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I've got a strong suspicion they would have continued in return for a budget cut, but Lana Wachowski refused to countenance that. And it might be that the Wachowskis were having second thoughts about getting bogged down for 5-7 years in television before getting a chance to direct another movie.

Hadn't they killed their movie career before starting the show? It'd be shit if this show got them a second chance at making movies. Maybe they could make a film of the show? Trimming some of the shows excesses could work in a film format.

I guess it would be hard to cut the budget without dropping some of the locations which I'm guessing is a big part of the cost in terms of production. They could have done this fairly organically by simply having some of the sensates leave a location. Eg have Wolfgang and Kala in Paris - that's one less place to film. A more extreme saving measure - kill off a character. It'd be harsh but would also reduce the locations by one and could arguably generate an interesting storyline about how a cluster deal with death - hell you could still keep the character as a "ghost" but lose the location.

Guess I'll be eagerly keeping an eye out for the inevitable comic.

They only really needed to drop back to the scale of Season 1, which was still pretty damn epic. If they needed to go down further, they could have had a mini-series with the seven of them in London and the UK tracking down Wolfgang and turn that into a 4-or-5 episode arc.

3 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Red snow - I'll be cancelling mine in response, I've not even used it for much lately, most new things don't come out on it immediately here and half the things that would are on another provider anyway. I was signed up for Netflix shows, so they lose me.

If there's a way to let them know why I'm cancelling it, I think I could easily do so too. I'm not really watching enough shows a month to justify having it on a rolling contract. In fact the last show I watched on netflix was sense8...

I'm giving serious thought to canceling Netflix over this.  Between me and the kids it's used every single day for at least 30 minutes, usually more so it would definitely be an adjustment.  The show really meant that much to me, despite the problems.  Not to mention today is the start of Pride month, like they couldn't wait until August 8 to give a yay or nay?

28 minutes ago, Werthead said:

In the US and UK, apparently considerably less than any of the Marvel shows, House of CardsOrange is the New BlackStranger Things, even 13 Reasons Why (which appears to have been made for $14, so the fact it drew in massively more numbers than S8 is an equation that Netflix approves of). It's quite far down the list.

Yeah, I was thinking something like that. Behind HoC, OitNB and certainly ST. Probably also Marvel shows. 

One of the beauties of Sense8 is certainly lavish production but I have to say that I understand Netflix wanting to minimize the costs.

30 minutes ago, Werthead said:

In some foreign markets it did far better. I've seen some claims that it's Netflix's biggest-ever show in Brazil, but since Netflix don't release numbers we'll probably never know for sure. But the money Brazilian subscribers bring in is probably far less than in the US, so that only helps up to a point.

Brazil is a huge market for Netflix, it seems. Every now and then, I hear some Netflix show being loved in Brazil. They even had 3% being produced by Brazilians. But, yeah, in comparison to US viewers, I would argue that any other market is not bringing that much money.

Wow... I am shattered over this news. Really bad timing (Pride month-wise) and coming right after canceling some of their other diverse shows. 

I really really loved Sense8 and connected to each of the main characters more than I have to any TV characters in years. Just really heartbreaking. 

At least we're not alone in being upset, #sense8 has been trending Worldwide on twitter for a couple of hours now (currently at #2, was at #1) and there's been a lot of bad press about the cancellation. I don't think it will lead to anything, but it's nice to see how much this show touched its viewers. 

Archived