Sense8: why...so...sensitive (spoilers)

Kalbear

I just went on my feed page and one of the "news stories" was Show's Cancellation Causes Twitter Meltdown

I didn't recognize anyone in the picture thought it was for some CW/MTV teen angst series or something but I clicked on it just to satisfy my curiosity. Then I saw it was Sense8 and was like "oh shit!" :angry: 

I haven't even watched season 2 yet or the Christmas special. Just been waiting for the right time I felt ready to put myself into it. I remember how I loved season 1 but it took about 3 episodes where I wasn't really sure I liked the show then I fell in love with it. Since then my interest has kind of waned again. Now I don't know if I want to get back into it just to be left with no real ending.

As to the Wachowski's future projects. I know there's talk of a Matrix prequel about Morpheus I don't know if they will direct it or even write it of if they'll just be consultants/producers.

You don't get to specify a reason when you cancel your account, but you can go into the Help Centre, click "Request a show" or something like that in the panel on the right hand side, and then write in "Sense8 season 3" in the text field, and then cancel your membership.

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

You don't get to specify a reason when you cancel your account, but you can go into the Help Centre, click "Request a show" or something like that in the panel on the right hand side, and then write in "Sense8 season 3" in the text field, and then cancel your membership.

There should be a way of making it clearer the association between the two. Need to check if there's a concerted effort as I guess a load of cancellations at once is more likely to catch their attention.

I agree with others who've noted the bad timing of announcing this at the start of gay pride.

For those who haven't watched and are debating whether they should now - I'd strongly urge them to do so. It could be that Netflix makes these decisions based on the initial heat after a season drops. If there're a lot of people who've had this show sitting in their to watch pile over the last month who watch it now it could be a big factor in Netflix reconsidering on top of people who have watched it complaining and the general bad press.

I agree that it's hard to get around the cost vs "success" (which no-one knows in terms of numbers other than netflix). Hopefully the production team are willing to negotiate if that helps.

I'd like to think they'd do a mini-season/netflix film to wrap it up because I do think it's possible to truncate the show. The issue is that a short season is probably more inefficient in terms of cost as they'd still need to film in those 8+ different locations. I guess they could cheat to some extent and reduce the amount of time at some locations. A room can be anywhere for instance and they just shoot outdoor scenes there - or even limit it to simply doing outdoor shots with no cast there. eg if i see LA in an establishing shot I happily assume the street is in LA in the next scene. But again the issue is that they'd have to fly the extras over from one location which might also cost.

I can certainly see how the logisitics of the show have figured into the cancellation.

I've seen several commenters mention this is Netflix's "firefly moment" which is pretty bad for a network that received a lot of acclaim for rescuing cancelled shows from other networks.

Someone mentioned on the "Castlevania" thread that there's a definite trend of Netflix catering for the nostalgia crowd with their programming. Sense8 doesn't fit that trend but it's worrying if that's the direction they are going. As fun as "Stranger things" is it's not doing anything new with the medium. The same with all the "back from the dead" shows.

I guess I am surprised at this. Based on the level of love the show gets here, I assumed it did pretty well ratings wise. It's the only show I watch currently that is this diverse, and now it's gone.

While I don't feel the pain of this cancellation as deeply as some of you do, it still sucks, and I fully understand your pain. I felt it, and honestly still do, when Stargate Universe was cancelled. Oddly Brian J. Smith was in that, too, and it last two seasons as well. I hope he is not one of those actors that is followed by the cancellation curse.

8 hours ago, karaddin said:

I didn't know that feature existed. Time to start requesting Babylon 5.

This is one of my favorite shows, and I'm about halfway through S2 right now and it's SO DAMN GOOD!  I heard this yesterday and am pretty disappointed.  Hopefully they get to do some sort of end movie so it's not just hanging, like I expect the season to end.

Got caught in a deluge this afternoon while out for a walk. Soaked through and pretty much blind from rain, then 4 non blondes came on my iPod and I couldn't help smiling and thinking of that first musical montage that is just so damn feel good.

Brian J. Smith's twitter says it was a budget/not enough viewers thing regarding cancellation. Still sucks. 

I'm disgusted by Netflix right now.

Hope there is a real movement of subscription cancellation to protest their current policy of killing shows without providing an ending. I will probably cancel mine.

I think Netflix is even more sensitive (heh) of PR issues than network programming, same with Amazon. Keep up the "angry with Netflix" "Netflix is against diversity" campaign and I wouldn't think it unlikely to get a finale episode of movie. Possibly they may change their minds and even renew the show for season 3, though that more of a longshot. Then the major issues I think would be would the Wachowski's want to come back after being treated this way and would they think worth it to come back just for a one shot finale, according to Wert they all ready rejected doing another season on a limited budget. Fans should pressure them too if Netflix looks willing to make a deal.

The level of bad press Netflix is getting over this is pretty astonishing. There's even a pretty successful change.org petition going around right now. 

Maybe I'm too wrapped up in it, but the level of uproar feels unusually high, and I agree with drawkcabi that they are more sensitive to PR issues than regular network shows. Maybe we will see a wrap up movie/mini-series/special. One can dream, right? :)

1 hour ago, Underfoot said:

The level of bad press Netflix is getting over this is pretty astonishing. There's even a pretty successful change.org petition going around right now. 

Maybe I'm too wrapped up in it, but the level of uproar feels unusually high, and I agree with drawkcabi that they are more sensitive to PR issues than regular network shows. Maybe we will see a wrap up movie/mini-series/special. One can dream, right? :)

Whenever there is a TV show cancelled, there is a cry out. That said, almost 300 000 signatures is more than that. I have never seen this. It would be amazing if this gets any result.

People in Serbia are talking about this. I see some of my friends from Montenegro, Croatia, Turkey, Greece and Hungary all being very frustrated at this decision. With the right angle and Twitter response, this can lead to somewhere. Perhaps Netflix didn't expect this strong response.

I do understand that there is a slim chance, but here is to hope they can all negotiate something. Anything :D

(God, Elizabeth Kubler Ross would have a field day with all of us right now :D )

If anything is to come of the response it would need to come quickly, so that cast could be nailed down. I don't doubt the cadt's enthusiasm but they need to work, they can't wait for a Sense8 revival forever. And unless it was just a one-off thing in limited locations, shooting would be quite a commitment. 

10 hours ago, Alarich II said:

My wife and I absolutely loved this show, but tbh there's very little chance that I'll cancel Netflix before I haven't seen the final season of Orphan Black.

I can understand that, it's not on Netflix in Aus until after the season, but it has been on a free to air network so that's where I get it.

Generally on the backlash - the only thing I've seen that this reminds me of is Farscape. The internet was in much earlier days then, so the speed was much slower but the outcry was sustained and we did eventually get the miniseries closure. I'll note that it too got to finish it's season on a massive cliffhanger, which is different to a mid first season pull, Firefly has obviously also had a lot of heat over the years but that's a difference, and Rome was HBOs mistake, but hardly a cliffhanger. I guess the more comparable HBO show would be Carnivàle, but that didn't have the numbers for this kind of noise. The thing that they really should know is that even if the viewership is low, a fan base this large that's this motivated pays off long term. 

I keep thinking about when Netflix decided it wanted to separate its streaming service from its DVD in the mail service Netflix would be the streaming service and the mail service would be Qwikster. Subscribers hated the idea and sent tons of complaints to Netflix and in a couple days they reversed the decision. Of course since that time they've quietly moved in that direction of separation with the mail in service becoming DVD.com but its not completely separate and the little guy when acting en masse had the power to make Netflix reconsider their decisions. This is what I mean by Netflix seeming to be more PR sensitive.

4 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I keep thinking about when Netflix decided it wanted to separate its streaming service from its DVD in the mail service Netflix would be the streaming service and the mail service would be Qwikster. Subscribers hated the idea and sent tons of complaints to Netflix and in a couple days they reversed the decision. Of course since that time they've quietly moved in that direction of separation with the mail in service becoming DVD.com but its not completely separate and the little guy when acting en masse had the power to make Netflix reconsider their decisions. This is what I mean by Netflix seeming to be more PR sensitive.

Well, the petition I signed reached threshold of 300 000 signatures. And I suppose the entire "attacking LGBTQI-themed shows" angle does bring a lot of unwanted attention. Is it also possible that Netflix wanted Wachowskis to make understand what is in stake? Who knows... @Werthead spoke that Season 3 could be much cheaper due to the fact that entire cluster is now in one place, which can, production-wise, save a lot of money if done as an arc of 5-7 episodes.

Archived