Sense8: why...so...sensitive (spoilers)

Kalbear

9 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I can see it ending with Riley birthing a new cluster.

that's a good way of ending the show while leaving the doors open for a sequel. 

I'm trying to recall whether that means it'll be x amount of people born at the moment of birthing the cluster or whether adults can be activated? I should probably know but I'm not sure - it seemed in the show that they only connected at the point we saw them rather than being connected from birth?

23 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I can see it ending with Riley birthing a new cluster.

I thought of that too... Of all of them, Riley birthing a new cluster would make the most sense(8) to me :D 

25 minutes ago, red snow said:

that's a good way of ending the show while leaving the doors open for a sequel. 

I'm trying to recall whether that means it'll be x amount of people born at the moment of birthing the cluster or whether adults can be activated? I should probably know but I'm not sure - it seemed in the show that they only connected at the point we saw them rather than being connected from birth?

I think cluster size probably depends on the random factor of how many potential sensates are actually being born in that moment.  If you are born a moment later, you'd have a chance to be part of a different cluster.  So clusters are not predetermined but randomly sorted.  But looking at it from the opposite way (if it is sort of psychically predetermined) you might be induced to be born into the same moment as your cluster but otherwise you might have been born a bit later or earlier.

Or a factor might be similar emotional circumstances the parents are experiencing at that moment causes a cluster to form.

I think there are two connection points, at birth to mark them, and emergence of the sensate link in adulthood.  I don't remember what Angelica was doing at their first birth...  Could it be the "father" connects them at birth, and the "mother" connects their adult sensate link?

But Will was able to visit that little girl sensate when he was young and connected with her while Whisper had kidnapped her, because he met her in person with a eye-connection first.  So they are sensate to start and can visit.  They don't cluster until later.  Maybe there was 100 other people born in the same moment and they are not marked to be in the same cluster, until the second birth.

JMS gave some information on this to the WSJ when Season 1 was on-air (behind a paywall though, so I've only got the S8 Wiki's word for that). Apparently the largest cluster had 12 people and the smallest had 2 or 3. The average is 6 (like Angelica and Jonas's) to 8 (like the August 8 and Lila's clusters).

On 02/07/2017 at 0:43 AM, SpaceChampion said:

I think cluster size probably depends on the random factor of how many potential sensates are actually being born in that moment.  If you are born a moment later, you'd have a chance to be part of a different cluster.  So clusters are not predetermined but randomly sorted.  But looking at it from the opposite way (if it is sort of psychically predetermined) you might be induced to be born into the same moment as your cluster but otherwise you might have been born a bit later or earlier.

Or a factor might be similar emotional circumstances the parents are experiencing at that moment causes a cluster to form.

I think there are two connection points, at birth to mark them, and emergence of the sensate link in adulthood.  I don't remember what Angelica was doing at their first birth...  Could it be the "father" connects them at birth, and the "mother" connects their adult sensate link?

But Will was able to visit that little girl sensate when he was young and connected with her while Whisper had kidnapped her, because he met her in person with a eye-connection first.  So they are sensate to start and can visit.  They don't cluster until later.  Maybe there was 100 other people born in the same moment and they are not marked to be in the same cluster, until the second birth.

This all makes a lot of sense. I'm glad I hadn't missed something regarding when they become aware of each other. Maybe there is some genetic element too eg not everyone born at the same time can become a cluster but they also need to have the ability to become part of a cluster. Which would kind of explain Will as a kid. He was already a sensate because he could connect but his actual cluster hadn't.

Apparently 353,000 babies are born every day. That's roughly 4 per second so I'm guessing there also has to be a genetic "x" factor included too. Thinking about it it's more likely that clusters come from a similar time zone as the peak birth time is actually around 8-9am (oddly enough). This maybe provides a reason for why our cluster has 3 members from the americas (although I can't remember what time of day they were born).

Rewatching the series from episode 1 and falling in love with it all over again.

That is such wonderful new there will at least be a two hour final episode for closure with a chance left open for more story.

I wasn't ready to sever my subscription to Netflix for the show but I did add my voice to those requesting Netflix for a season 3.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a tough category though. Treating the award just for the category and not the overall quality of the show, it's facing stiff competition from Mr Robot and Westworld. I haven't seen "the crown" or "handmaid's tale" so can't comment on them. I'd probably give it to Mr Robot (although the nominated episode wasn't the one I'd pick). I suspect "Stranger Things" will get it as I get the impression the emmys tend to big up shows by throwing loads of awards at them - especially if the show caught them unawares. But maybe they'll be a push to help out Sense8. I'd rather something won on the merit of it's actual nomination though.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

That's a tough category though. Treating the award just for the category and not the overall quality of the show, it's facing stiff competition from Mr Robot and Westworld. I haven't seen "the crown" or "handmaid's tale" so can't comment on them. I'd probably give it to Mr Robot (although the nominated episode wasn't the one I'd pick). I suspect "Stranger Things" will get it as I get the impression the emmys tend to big up shows by throwing loads of awards at them - especially if the show caught them unawares. But maybe they'll be a push to help out Sense8. I'd rather something won on the merit of it's actual nomination though.

Actually Emmys are usually pretty reluctant to recognise new shows. Most seem to start getting nominations in their second year

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 3:42 PM, Werthead said:

Adult website XHamster offers to fund the rest of Sense8. Like, the remaining three full seasons of the series.

No word on the reaction of the Wachowskis, Straczynski or Netflix to the idea yet.

Holy shit!

I hope they do it! 

ETA:

JMS shows seem to draw this kind of production drama. Babylon 5 getting its pilot made and then having to wait a year for the series proper. Then being cancelled one year short of their five season run, wrapping things up, only to have TNT come in and renew them for season 5.

It all seems familiar.

• 1 month later...

As an aside...

This probably means nothing, but my wife and i go to a lot of nerdy events... Monster Mania, ChillerCon, NJ Comic expo, etc... last week we went to NY Comic Con... and for some reason, no one had *any* Sense 8 posters, pics, or anything... When I asked, most vendors had no idea what I was talking about... Kind of weird for a show this popular...

6 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

As an aside...

This probably means nothing, but my wife and i go to a lot of nerdy events... Monster Mania, ChillerCon, NJ Comic expo, etc... last week we went to NY Comic Con... and for some reason, no one had *any* Sense 8 posters, pics, or anything... When I asked, most vendors had no idea what I was talking about... Kind of weird for a show this popular...

That's a good point. The show isn't as readily merchandise friendly as many other genre shows are. Other than the the sense8 logo there isn't much to go off. Dress up like one of the cast members? They don't even wear the same clothes. Unless you have a diverse set of friends, it's going to be tricky to dress up as a memeber of the sensate cast and be recognised. Whispers is probably the best bet.

But there should have been some posters at least.

Anyway it is probably another reason why the show isn't profitable - GOT, trek, Marvel etc all have huge amounts of additional revenue from merchandise. This site tries and i quite like the icon tetrahedron T-shirt and the 8 made out of location names but I don't think it's official

• 1 month later...

Archived