Sense8: why...so...sensitive (spoilers)

Kalbear

Watched this last night and agree, the action scenes were really really bad. 

Spoiler

I didn't mind the show ending the way it did but scenes like those are likely why this show wasn't able to get a bigger following. The vast amount of people are not comfortable watching a scene like that or even thinking about alternative life styles.

So was that the Wachovia lady(not sure on name) in the post credits with the multicolored hair? I don't know a lot about her but assumed that was her since she was in almost all of the credit sequences. I like that the post credits were just what they were, basically a celebration of the show and the fans.

All in all a good show that I am glad I came across and one I have recommended to some friends

I enjoyed it. It wasn’t perfect, but the issues were mostly unavoidable because of the cancellation. I deeply resent that we will never see the individual stories play out fully as they were probably meant to (Capheus’ election, Sun’s family scandals, etc.) but I saw what could have been in the finale, which was the best that could be achieved given the circumstances. I loved this show and I’m sad we will get no more...and probably not :( 

2 minutes ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

I enjoyed it. It wasn’t perfect, but the issues were mostly unavoidable because of the cancellation. I deeply resent that we will never see the individual stories play out fully as they were probably meant to (Capheus’ election, Sun’s family scandals, etc.) but I saw what could have been in the finale, which was the best that could be achieved given the circumstances. I loved this show and I’m sad we will get no more...and probably not :( 

Yeah it felt rushed, like there was so much they tried to fit into the time they had. Lets be honest, the action scenes we just bad, like laughable bad. But, it doesn't take away from the story for me and I am glad I got some closure to it. Hell the post credit scenes alone were amazing, better for me than most of the episode. You could absolutely tell they were loved by the fans and they knew it.

• 8 months later...

So... since I was lurking around Netflix for the sake of The Umbrella Academy again, I thought it would be neat to finally finish Sense8 and I watched the movie. I love Sense8 and it still holds a place deep in my heart as one of the most faith-in-humanity-restoring pieces of media I ever consumed. Therefore I still managed to embrace the wrap-up movie and indulge in some closure. Do I still have to use spoiler tags for that now? In any case...

Spoiler

I liked it. I went in pretty much blind and pretty much expecting Wolfgang to be toast. Therefore I was surprised that it ended so happily. Then again, it probably fits the theme.

Whispers getting dragged through the dirt all the time felt hugely satisfying after he had been hounding our protagonists like such an overwhelming foe. Of course, the two operations the cluster pulled off were a bit too effortless for my liking (even Lila's intervention at the end didn't feel like it really disfavored them too much). The action scenes were pretty bad, I agree, especially considering the absurd BPO bodycount. Also of course the absurd pace ruined the impact of some of the new characters, especially the Laguna faction with Whispers' mother and then BPO's Vader knock-off chairman. They looked like interesting characters that certainly would have driven the show for another season if given the room.

I'm also thinking that most Cluster members lost a bit of focus. Will was still there being the generic action hero, Sun hastily wrapped up her own romantic arc, but the rest of the movie solely focused on Wolfgang, Kala and Rajan wrapping up their love triangle. And I'm not sure I like the resolution that much. I have a feeling that they have forgotten that the whole mess started with Kala not being in love with Rajan but going through with her marriage because of her unhealthy desire to please everyone around her. I was screaming at her for 2 seasons to get some growth and stop making herself and Rajan miserable, only for the show to forget all that and resolve the thing with "Rajan is up for a threesome!". Seriously?!?

I guess that builds on my frustration about Sun's atrocious "Just have sex with him!" advice from the Christmas special. The show ending with just another orgy makes it clear that it isn't love that conquers everything, but rather sex is supposed to be. In a show about all kinds of people and expressions of love, I feel it sad that Sense8 seems to outright reject the possibility of asexuality... that doesn't change the overall impact it did on me, but it's one tiny bit that makes me wonder about Lana Wachowsky's views on the matter. Then there is also the show's ongoing issue with the glorification of violence. Fighting for survival is fine, but Rajan's thrilled reaction to Wolfgang gunning down mobsters while in Kala's body really irked me as horrendously out of place.

On the bright side: In the previous season I did end up wondering already whether it technically wasn't Wolfgang sleeping with Rajan through Kala's body when Sun's atrocious advice was finally put into practice. And indeed, to me it now looked like Wolfgang ended up having more chemistry with Rajan than Kala ever had. So much for Kalagang, imao! XD

Archived