Please Don’t Let This Happen!

Ahmad916

Although this is about the show, I want to target the book readers and hope I can relate to some of the frustrations expressed by them towards the TV series. As much as I loved the show, Season 4,5, and 6 have been based on fan service, cliches, painfully predictable twists, flawed logic, and I think it’s fair to say that it has been something similar to an “O.K” Marvel or DC flick. The original foundations that differentiated this series have been thrown out of the window, and I fear it will get worse.

Here’s a list of a few possible events and revelations in the story that I fear may occur in the show, and they would ruin the entire series for me even more than the show runners already have. Share with me what you hope doesn’t happen and give me your thoughts on them if you like the idea of this thread! Hope you guys get a smile out of this as well!

Event 1: After Sam teaches Gilly how to read, she stumbles upon a passage in one of the books in the Citadel where she basically uncovers the entire secret of the universe or something. (This will happen in Season 7 or 8, mark my words). I have the cliche scenario visualized and ready in my head and I think it’s very plausible given the direction the show-runners have taken. Sam overlooks something in a passage that Gilly, whether purposefully or not, interprets differently than him and gives a brilliant and different meaning to it; Sam is filled with feelings of awe, love, and happiness as he gives her a hug and they run out to do their part in saving the world.  

Event 2: Tyrion is a Targaryen; this revelation is uncovered somehow and, to much fan ovation and an explosion on twitter, he climbs into one of the dragons like one does on a bike (because it’s that easy and convenient) and does his part in saving the world alongside Dany and whoever the third head of the dragon is.  He has a near death experience towards the end where the world is saved, after which he gets up and says a cracking joke which makes us say “Ah, he’s so brilliant, I love him). This is very likely to happen.

Event 3: Jon and Dany get married. While they don’t like each other when they first meet (we would think “Oh, maybe this isn’t going to work out like we thought for these two” they eventually do fall in love in typical Rom-Com fashion. I’d bet the scene where they do fall in love will be when they happen to get stuck together in the Wall’s elevator.

Event 4: Sansa outwits somebody, but with no plot advancement whatsoever in mind. The show-runners will likely use her in meaningless subplots, where their plan is to get us to say “Ah, she’s playing the Game of Thrones now” “Ah, she’s showing growth” “Ah, she’s no longer naïve” “Ah, growth and um… growth”. We get it, please let her advance the plot and please no more of those “Ah, growth” moments.

What do you guys think?

Ex1- this...is sadly likely. Haven't they had the newly literate Davos stumble on an Important Document already?

Ex2- I hope he gets to ride a dragon, and book Tyrion is almost set up to be a Targaryen.  I hope not, though.  Smartass remark is par for the course.

Ex3 - Am I the only person really repulsed by the idea of a Jon/Dany pairing, in light of who Jon appears to be?  Enough with the overly close family already. I mean, Jon falling in love, then discovering who she is, being revolted by the whole idea, and taking his broken-hearted self off to mope on the Wall forever, that I can see. But I can't see him being cool and relaxed about it.  And don't bring up the idea of him and Arya or Sansa, either, or I'll bring up my dinner.  

Ex4- Sansa... bloody hell, who knows after the Bolton bollocks? I hope she doesn't end up either kissing or killing Lord Baelish ( I want him to get away with it. Or get away alive, at least)  but she's become a Writer's Pet, and I worry.

38 minutes ago, AhmadQE said:

Although this is about the show, I want to target the book readers and hope I can relate to some of the frustrations expressed by them towards the TV series.

And still it's the wrong forum for that. Basically: show stuff goes in the show forums, books stuff goes in the books forums, show v. books stuff goes in the show forums, too. Plus:

2 hours ago, AhmadQE said:

Although this is about the show, I want to target the book readers and hope I can relate to some of the frustrations expressed by them towards the TV series. As much as I loved the show, Season 4,5, and 6 have been based on fan service, cliches, painfully predictable twists, flawed logic, and I think it’s fair to say that it has been something similar to an “O.K” Marvel or DC flick. The original foundations that differentiated this series have been thrown out of the window, and I fear it will get worse.

Here’s a list of a few possible events and revelations in the story that I fear may occur in the show, and they would ruin the entire series for me even more than the show runners already have. Share with me what you hope doesn’t happen and give me your thoughts on them if you like the idea of this thread! Hope you guys get a smile out of this as well!

Event 1: After Sam teaches Gilly how to read, she stumbles upon a passage in one of the books in the Citadel where she basically uncovers the entire secret of the universe or something. (This will happen in Season 7 or 8, mark my words). I have the cliche scenario visualized and ready in my head and I think it’s very plausible given the direction the show-runners have taken. Sam overlooks something in a passage that Gilly, whether purposefully or not, interprets differently than him and gives a brilliant and different meaning to it; Sam is filled with feelings of awe, love, and happiness as he gives her a hug and they run out to do their part in saving the world.  

Event 2: Tyrion is a Targaryen; this revelation is uncovered somehow and, to much fan ovation and an explosion on twitter, he climbs into one of the dragons like one does on a bike (because it’s that easy and convenient) and does his part in saving the world alongside Dany and whoever the third head of the dragon is.  He has a near death experience towards the end where the world is saved, after which he gets up and says a cracking joke which makes us say “Ah, he’s so brilliant, I love him). This is very likely to happen.

Event 3: Jon and Dany get married. While they don’t like each other when they first meet (we would think “Oh, maybe this isn’t going to work out like we thought for these two” they eventually do fall in love in typical Rom-Com fashion. I’d bet the scene where they do fall in love will be when they happen to get stuck together in the Wall’s elevator.

Event 4: Sansa outwits somebody, but with no plot advancement whatsoever in mind. The show-runners will likely use her in meaningless subplots, where their plan is to get us to say “Ah, she’s playing the Game of Thrones now” “Ah, she’s showing growth” “Ah, she’s no longer naïve” “Ah, growth and um… growth”. We get it, please let her advance the plot and please no more of those “Ah, growth” moments.

What do you guys think?

I hear you.  Problem is, the show got ahead of GM's writing so HBO had to create their own material and they're not as good as GM.  I also feel the show is more sensitive to what the more vocal fans want than GM.  Jon should have died and warged into Ghost and Sansa shouldn't be the lady of the north.  Arya should have murdered the poor insurance man like she did in the text instead of exaggerating Trant's evil so Arya doesn't appear as the murderous wretch that she is in the novels. 

Okay, you got some of the high spots there! My opinions:

1. I'm ashamed to say that I like this one. Thus, it will never happen, so we can all relax.

2. The Lannister dragonrider will be Cersei, not Tyrion. It is known. When just a girl, she drew a picture of herself with Prince Rhaegar riding on a dragon. I imagine she'll achieve this by her alliance with Euron Crows-eye, who should be getting control of one or more dragons via his fancy Valyrian horn.

3. I don't think there's been a marriage yet in ASOIAF where the participants are "in love" when the wedding takes place. But then, this is teevie, isn't it? Where the "rom-com" rulez.

4. I think I've been banned from saying anything with regard to Sansa. Take that as you will!

23 hours ago, SeaWitch said:

Ex3 - Am I the only person really repulsed by the idea of a Jon/Dany pairing, in light of who Jon appears to be?  Enough with the overly close family already. I mean, Jon falling in love, then discovering who she is, being revolted by the whole idea, and taking his broken-hearted self off to mope on the Wall forever, that I can see. But I can't see him being cool and relaxed about it.  And don't bring up the idea of him and Arya or Sansa, either, or I'll bring up my dinner.  

You are not.  Whether show or book, the idea of Jon ending up with Dany/Sansa/Arya is purely disgusting.  I know that there are a lot of people who are hardcore advocates of one of those matches and I quite frankly do not understand it at all. 

21 hours ago, zandru said:

3. I don't think there's been a marriage yet in ASOIAF where the participants are "in love" when the wedding takes place. But then, this is teevie, isn't it? Where the "rom-com" rulez.

Weren't Robb and Jeyne Westerling (Talisia in show) in love?  At least in the show for sure, in the books I've always thought Robb was manipulated and possibly drugged, with Jeyne being an active and knowing participant. 

1. Nah.

2. I vote that he does ride a dragon (too much potential foreshadowing for it not to happen) but that all the clues for him supposedly being a dragonseed are deliberate misdirection designed to make Tyrion and the other characters think really hard about how they view and treat people based on who they think said people are related to. Identity and what people believe are major themes, and not doing this would be missing an opportunity that just begs to not be missed. Considering the CGI man hours involved in dragon riding, I'm not optimistic that anyone by Dany will ride a dragon on TV.

3. I could see them doing that.

4. Yeah probably something along those lines.

I can live with 1 (may or may not happen) and 4 (most definitely going to happen), I will get serious blood pressure problems at 2 (may or may not happen) and I will probably toss my laptop out of the window at 3 (may or may not happen). 

Footnote: if GRRM goes with any of these, it's still crap writing and doesn't make it okay. 

On 5/25/2017 at 11:39 AM, RhaenysB said:

I can live with 1 (may or may not happen) and 4 (most definitely going to happen), I will get serious blood pressure problems at 2 (may or may not happen) and I will probably toss my laptop out of the window at 3 (may or may not happen). 

Footnote: if GRRM goes with any of these, it's still crap writing and doesn't make it okay. 

GRRM will probably not be doing any of these, but if he does he will do so in a way that will not be crap writing. He doesn't write crap. This far into the series, I'm surprised anyone still thinks he would stray from his standards of quality.

18 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

GRRM will probably not be doing any of these, but if he does he will do so in a way that will not be crap writing. He doesn't write crap. This far into the series, I'm surprised anyone still thinks he would stray from his standards of quality.

Okay, let's say GRRM can write any of the above scenarios in high quality. I still think Tyrion Targaryen and Jonaerys marriage are still crap twists/plot points/ideas/concepts while their writing can be quality. 

I usually like GRRM's writing and I would never doubt that he is a great writer, but I didn't think the five existing asoiaf novels are all constantly 100% standard. I quite disliked Danced and the majority of its plot, and ASOS and AFFC had parts that I didn't like either. GRRM is good, but being written by GRRM doesn't automatically make an idea or chapter or story good. - in my opinion 

On 5/28/2017 at 11:11 AM, RhaenysB said:

Okay, let's say GRRM can write any of the above scenarios in high quality. I still think Tyrion Targaryen and Jonaerys marriage are still crap twists/plot points/ideas/concepts while their writing can be quality. 

I usually like GRRM's writing and I would never doubt that he is a great writer, but I didn't think the five existing asoiaf novels are all constantly 100% standard. I quite disliked Danced and the majority of its plot, and ASOS and AFFC had parts that I didn't like either. GRRM is good, but being written by GRRM doesn't automatically make an idea or chapter or story good. - in my opinion 

We all have our things we don't want to see happen in the series.I don't want Tyrion to be half-Targ either, but that doesn't make it a bad idea or twist. And I don't see Jon and Dany falling in love either, but that doesn't mean it's crap.

Crappy writing can be objectively identified (see 50 Shades of Grey). 

25 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

We all have our things we don't want to see happen in the series.I don't want Tyrion to be half-Targ either, but that doesn't make it a bad idea or twist. And I don't see Jon and Dany falling in love either, but that doesn't mean it's crap.

Crappy writing can be objectively identified (see 50 Shades of Grey). 

everybody has their own opinion about what they want to see and what they like. Someone might love a twist I hate, someone might hate an idea I love. Everything, including crap, is relative. And everybody knows that just because they see something this and this way, doesn't necessarily mean other see it this and this way too. But come on, if one can't say a idea is good bad or crap in their own mind set, what's the point in even opening our mounths? Can't we say the freaking dress is gold and white/black and blue because even though that's how we see it, it doesn't make the dress this or that color combo? 

Yeah, try telling that to the sale stats. 

15 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

everybody has their own opinion about what they want to see and what they like. Someone might love a twist I hate, someone might hate an idea I love. Everything, including crap, is relative. And everybody knows that just because they see something this and this way, doesn't necessarily mean other see it this and this way too. But come on, if one can't say a idea is good bad or crap in their own mind set, what's the point in even opening our mounths? Can't we say the freaking dress is gold and white/black and blue because even though that's how we see it, it doesn't make the dress this or that color combo? 

Yeah, try telling that to the sale stats. 

Not all crap is relative. Some things are and always will be crap.

I'm not saying not to speak about what you like or don't like. I'm saying call it what it actually is. If you'd qualified your statement that "if GRRM goes with any of these, it's still crap writing and doesn't make it okay." with "in my opinion" we wouldn't be having this conversation. You didn't state it as an opinion, you stated it as a fact, and it's not a fact. 

The whole "it would be crap because I don't like it" thing is old, tired, and as inaccurate as it was when it was so popular last year. 

Sale stats have nothing to do with quality of writing. None of the people who bought the 50 Shades books have ever gushed about the quality of the writing--because they can't. It's awful. And I'm not talking about the content, the plot choices, or the characterizations, I'm talking about the actual writing. Look up an excerpt or find it at the library and open to a random page sometime and you'll see what I mean.

4 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Not all crap is relative. Some things are and always will be crap.

I'm not saying not to speak about what you like or don't like. I'm saying call it what it actually is. If you'd qualified your statement that "if GRRM goes with any of these, it's still crap writing and doesn't make it okay." with "in my opinion" we wouldn't be having this conversation. You didn't state it as an opinion, you stated it as a fact, and it's not a fact. 

The whole "it would be crap because I don't like it" thing is old, tired, and as inaccurate as it was when it was so popular last year. 

Sale stats have nothing to do with quality of writing. None of the people who bought the 50 Shades books have ever gushed about the quality of the writing--because they can't. It's awful. And I'm not talking about the content, the plot choices, or the characterizations, I'm talking about the actual writing. Look up an excerpt or find it at the library and open to a random page sometime and you'll see what I mean.

This must be the situation the phrase "I can't even" was made for. - in my opinion. And no, we aren't having this conversation. 

Yes, I know what you mean. 

Archived