Dark Universe: New Monster Movie Franchise

AncalagonTheBlack

Dark Universe Announced at Universal with Bride of Frankenstein, Frankenstein and Invisible Man

Universal Pictures’ relaunch of its classic monster movie characters, starting with the Tom Cruise feature The Mummy on June 9, will be known as the Dark Universe franchise.

In addition, the studio confirmed today what Deadline exclusively reported last month: Beauty and the Beast‘s Bill Condon is locked in to direct Bride of Frankensteinwhich will be the next Dark Universe title following The Mummy, set for release on February 14, 2019 — a day that Uni already had reserved on the calendar for a monster title. David Koepp will write Bride. As such, Uni will not release a Dark Universe title as previously planned on April 13, 2018. The actress portraying the Bride will be announced soon. 

Uni also dropped a photo this morning with the stars of both imminent and future Dark Universe features gathered for the first time: From left are Russell Crowe as Dr. Henry Jekyll, Javier Bardem as Frankenstein’s monster, Tom Cruise as soldier of fortune Nick Morton, Johnny Depp as the Invisible Man and Sofia Boutella as the Mummy. It’s Jekyll’s mysterious multi-national org Prodigium that connects all titles in the Dark Universe. Its mission is to track, study and sometimes destroy evil monsters. Prodigium works outside all governments and protects the public from knowledge of the evil that exists in society.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/tom-cruise-the-mummy-dark-universe-brand-universal-bride-of-frankenstein-bill-condon-1202099658/

59 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Nick Morton? Why not tie him in to one of the classic novels that these are based of off? Seems kind of stupid not to make him a literary character as well. 

Just a guess... I'm thinking they agreed, then saw that Tom Cruise was cast, and opted for stupid.

.... This movie universe looks like fun, but I'm not sure if I'd invest the time to go to see them in the theater... I'll probably wait for cable...

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Is this Dark Universe dead on arrival or will they ignore this Mummy like they're ignoring Dracula Untold?

I don't know if it's DoA or not but they announced two more movies in the DU a couple days back.

"We know we're going to do Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Phantom of the Opera, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Invisible Man," explained Kurtzman, naming Phantom of the Opera and The Hunchback of Notre Dame as future projects in the line for the first time. But that's not all he gave away; he also teased additional spinoffs featuring unnamed supporting characters from those stories.

"There are characters within those films that can grow and expand and maybe even spin off," said Kurtzman, adding, "I think that digging into deep mythologies about monsters around the world is fair game for us, as well and connecting the monsters that we know to some surprising monsters could also be really interesting."

Me too, Cas...

The RT critic score now shows 18%. The audience score went from 96% wanted to see it to now 50% like it.

I'll still watch it on rental, but man...

• 2 weeks later...

The Mummy is wretched.  Tom Cruise's (5'7") character is somehow the same height as Russell Crowe's (6') character, and that a major rub for me. If DU is a monsters to fight monsters universes, didn't they do that with Suicide Squad (my favorite Jared Leto playing the worst Joker since Jack Nicholson)? Unless you are a die-hard TC fan, do not waste your money.

Archived