Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Fattest Leech

ASOIAF in everyday life... Gooble Gobble...

Recommended Posts

Sooo, today I once again realized how much the world of Ice and Fire has ingrained itself like a Greeshka into my everyday mind and actions. I have become one with the hive :blink:

Have you become one of us???

Come here and share your everyday funny hi-jinks and stories at how we nerds love to play the game in real life.

I will start.

  1. Today in RL, while a friend at work was sharing a funny story, she came to an odd spot in her story where I knew something was off, so naturally I shouted "LIES! Lies and arbor gold!".
  2. Also, where I live there tends to be lots of flocks of crows, maybe a rare raven, but mostly gaggles of crows. So what do I do? I teach my son that when he sees a flock of crows like that, then he needs to look out for a hooded man with black hands that rides atop a large elk... because that is what all good mother's teach their boys :smoking:...right?

 

This thread is exactly the same, only completely different from other such threads as Songs that make us think of ASOIAF, and Poems and other quotes that remind us of ASOIAF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I follow Archaeology Magazine on Facebook. They had a recent post about tracing the origin of some obsidian to a site 400 miles from where the stone was found, and another post awhile ago about a dagger forged from a meteor. You can imagine the kinds of comment I (and other fans) are leaving on their posts.

My high school-age niece is also an avid follower of the series. I wrapped her Christmas present in pomegranate wrapping paper and signed the card, "The Lannisters send their regards." She asked me whether she really wanted to open the gift, or just throw it in the fire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Seams said:

I follow Archaeology Magazine on Facebook. They had a recent post about tracing the origin of some obsidian to a site 400 miles from where the stone was found, and another post awhile ago about a dagger forged from a meteor. You can imagine the kinds of comment I (and other fans) are leaving on their posts.

My high school-age niece is also an avid follower of the series. I wrapped her Christmas present in pomegranate wrapping paper and signed the card, "The Lannisters send their regards." She asked me whether she really wanted to open the gift, or just throw it in the fire?

Hahaha! Nice touch on the wrapping paper :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Sooo, today I once again realized how much the world of Ice and Fire has ingrained itself like a Greeshka into my everyday mind and actions. I have become one with the hive :blink:

Have you become one of us???

Come here and share your everyday funny hi-jinks and stories at how we nerds love to play the game in real life.

I will start.

  1. Today in RL, while a friend at work was sharing a funny story, she came to an odd spot in her story where I knew something was off, so naturally I shouted "LIES! Lies and arbor gold!".
  2. Also, where I live there tends to be lots of flocks of crows, maybe a rare raven, but mostly gaggles of crows. So what do I do? I teach my son that when he sees a flock of crows like that, then he needs to look out for a hooded man with black hands that rides atop a large elk... because that is what all good mother's teach their boys :smoking:...right?

 

This thread is exactly the same, only completely different from other such threads as Songs that make us think of ASOIAF, and Poems and other quotes that remind us of ASOIAF.

:lol: And now I can't take the picture of a poor sheep with fake antlers slapped on out of my head! :P

We just adopted a(nother) dog. She's lovely and was almost adopted by someone else, and this person named her Zoe and we decided to keep it; she looks very much like a Zoe. But my first reaction was, "but there's no character called Zoe in ASoIaF!" 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At some point I realised that I had stopped thinking of things in ASOIF as resembling things in the real world and was doing it vice versa. For example: 1. I saw a story about desertification on the news with footage of blinding hot red landscape and thought "Its like the Red Waste!". 2. I stepped out of the lift at a new job and encountered  a really large woman, not just tall, and not fat, but just on a large scale all round, and though "they have giants here". etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I knew who in my town "improved" the deer crossing sign that is featured in the cover photo in my profile for this forum. The standard sign already has a leaping stag on a yellow background, so the person created a stencil and added, "Ours is the Fury" in Westeros-style lettering and a crown over the stag's head. The highway department has left the sign in place for several years. Sometimes I go out of my way to take that route, just to check whether the sign is still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26.05.2017 at 0:38 PM, kissdbyfire said:

:lol: And now I can't take the picture of a poor sheep with fake antlers slapped on out of my head! :P

We just adopted a(nother) dog. She's lovely and was almost adopted by someone else, and this person named her Zoe and we decided to keep it; she looks very much like a Zoe. But my first reaction was, "but there's no character called Zoe in ASoIaF!" 

 

Well, there is Zhoe Blanetree, wife of Ser Tytos Frey (Ser Jared's son).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Tiger said:

Well, there is Zhoe Blanetree, wife of Ser Tytos Frey (Ser Jared's son).

A Frey? A FREY??????????? Well, at least the spelling is different! :P

@Seams, absolutely love your Baratheon road sign! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2017 at 6:38 AM, kissdbyfire said:

:lol: And now I can't take the picture of a poor sheep with fake antlers slapped on out of my head! :P

Excuse me while I go make a pair of antlers for Lambikins and Shadow a sandwhich, yeah, a sandwich :P

I can't unsee this either. ^_^

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Castellan said:

At some point I realised that I had stopped thinking of things in ASOIF as resembling things in the real world and was doing it vice versa. For example: 1. I saw a story about desertification on the news with footage of blinding hot red landscape and thought "Its like the Red Waste!". 2. I stepped out of the lift at a new job and encountered  a really large woman, not just tall, and not fat, but just on a large scale all round, and though "they have giants here". etc etc

PERFECT! I find it hilarious when this happens.

I must say, I find myself giving a hearty "Har!" in situations like that :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Seams said:

I wish I knew who in my town "improved" the deer crossing sign that is featured in the cover photo in my profile for this forum. The standard sign already has a leaping stag on a yellow background, so the person created a stencil and added, "Ours is the Fury" in Westeros-style lettering and a crown over the stag's head. The highway department has left the sign in place for several years. Sometimes I go out of my way to take that route, just to check whether the sign is still there.

I know the type of deer crossing signs you are talking about. That is awesome... and now I have to go make some stencils :devil: (along with antlers for my sheep). You know the highway men (the modern ones, not these guys) are loving that sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Tiger said:

Well, there is Zhoe Blanetree, wife of Ser Tytos Frey (Ser Jared's son).


Good find. I had forgotten about that. The day is ours! (or yours for making the connection :))

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the small town I used to work I came across a van which belonged to a craftsman. It said Familie Stark - Kamin- und Heizungsbau ( family Stark - construction/installation of fireplaces and radiators/heaters). And  of course my first thought was: yeah, winter is coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wylla Manderly said:

In the small town I used to work I came across a van which belonged to a craftsman. It said Familie Stark - Kamin- und Heizungsbau ( family Stark - construction/installation of fireplaces and radiators/heaters). And  of course my first thought was: yeah, winter is coming.

The only way this gets better is if they actually use that in their advertising.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wylla Manderly said:

Familie Stark - Kamin- und Heizungsbau ( family Stark - construction/installation of fireplaces and radiators/heaters)

Brilliant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Excuse me while I go make a pair of antlers for Lambikins and Shadow a sandwhich, yeah, a sandwich :P

I can't unsee this either. ^_^

 

 

I demand photos! :commie:

And I don't mean of the sandwich! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a regular drive I do I pass Vikary's winery, and Stone Hedge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted in another thread I have sworn by the old gods & the new while having normal, everyday, non-asoiaf related conversation. 

Also my phone auto corrects my words to characters names or other asoiaf words. 

The other day my daughter didn't do what she was supposed to so my husband said I should take her phone. Without missing a beat she said "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." She has not read the books so apparently I say this too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I posted in another thread I have sworn by the old gods & the new while having normal, everyday, non-asoiaf related conversation. 

Also my phone auto corrects my words to characters names or other asoiaf words. 

The other day my daughter didn't do what she was supposed to so my husband said I should take her phone. Without missing a beat she said "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." She has not read the books so apparently I say this too 

Oh, NICE, I love this!!!! Parenting at it's best :cheers:

About two weekends ago I was in the car with my husband (he was driving) and my son was in the backseat. My hubbs started going on and on about some weird history of something (I forgot), when he noticed me staring out the window sorta kinda only halfway paying attention. That is when my son spoke up and said, "Dad, you're not talking about Bloodraven so she isn't listening". :lmao: I love my boy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Oh, NICE, I love this!!!! Parenting at it's best :cheers:

About two weekends ago I was in the car with my husband (he was driving) and my son was in the backseat. My hubbs started going on and on about some weird history of something (I forgot), when he noticed me staring out the window sorta kinda only halfway paying attention. That is when my son spoke up and said, "Dad, you're not talking about Bloodraven so she isn't listening". :lmao: I love my boy!

:lmao: Hilarious! Kids are great!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×