ASOIAF in everyday life... Gooble Gobble...

6 hours ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

I often spontaneously blurt out my current thoughts about ASoIaF to my girlfriend until I notice her eyes start to glaze over. She's never read the books but apparently is retaining much more of my diatribes than I knew. We were discussing going to a family wedding recently and it was far away and we are busy as all get out these days. She asks me at the end of a lengthy conversation on the logistics, "Do you even want to go." I answer, "Want has nothing to do with it. It's my duty. She's my niece!" She shoots back, "Ok, Stannis, well I'm going to bed. Let me know what you decide in the morning."

:lmao:

13 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Oh, NICE, I love this!!!! Parenting at it's best :cheers:

About two weekends ago I was in the car with my husband (he was driving) and my son was in the backseat. My hubbs started going on and on about some weird history of something (I forgot), when he noticed me staring out the window sorta kinda only halfway paying attention. That is when my son spoke up and said, "Dad, you're not talking about Bloodraven so she isn't listening". :lmao: I love my boy!

13 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I posted in another thread I have sworn by the old gods & the new while having normal, everyday, non-asoiaf related conversation. 

Also my phone auto corrects my words to characters names or other asoiaf words. 

The other day my daughter didn't do what she was supposed to so my husband said I should take her phone. Without missing a beat she said "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." She has not read the books so apparently I say this too 

Both of these had me in stitches too. Happy I was able to return the favor. I love how you have passed the torch to your children. I also came home from work one day and my girlfriend hands me a slip of paper and shaking her head, says, "This is from my mom. I don't even understand what it says." It reads, "Are Rhaegar and Lyanna JS's parents?" Her mom is well into her 70's and a voracious reader devouring fiction and nonfiction. I swear she reads a mystery a day as quickly as I read the newspaper. She read the books on my recommendation and was able to ask that after finishing AGoT. 

I have a college age cousin who is a bit of a Northern California hippie type. Last time I saw him he was with his friends. When I spoke to his mother and she inquired of him I told her “he is well, but he is spending time in the company of hedge wizards which is worrisome”

Just today, at work, I was listening to colleagues talking about delays for freezing some software component. We talk french, but we commonly use English words, like "freezing", to describe specific activities., like putting in a reference, making stable and final, a software item. So I didn't resist to ask: "is winter coming?". I'm known at work for a GoT freak.

On 22/11/2017 at 2:46 AM, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

I often spontaneously blurt out my current thoughts about ASoIaF to my girlfriend until I notice her eyes start to glaze over. She's never read the books but apparently is retaining much more of my diatribes than I knew. We were discussing going to a family wedding recently and it was far away and we are busy as all get out these days. She asks me at the end of a lengthy conversation on the logistics, "Do you even want to go." I answer, "Want has nothing to do with it. It's my duty. She's my niece!" She shoots back, "Ok, Stannis, well I'm going to bed. Let me know what you decide in the morning."

:lol:

Your girlfriend and my husband would probably get on like a house on fire. His eyes glaze over often, very often. The best time was when we travelled really, really far away for the most important job interview ever for me. We got t the place and before going into the office we were talking to my prospective boss, who is telling me how fundraising is important for NGOs, how hard it is to do it well, etc. And I immediately start telling him about Martin and Parris' involvement w/ the wolf sanctuary, and how awesome the campaign had been b/c Martin had decided to do that thing w/ big (huge) donors becoming characters who he'd kill off horribly. And how contrary to his expectations there were a few ppl who did donate that much - can't remember the amount, but I think it was something like 25,000? Anyways, as I'm telling him all of this, I can see the hubby's eyes glazing over and rolling simultaneously, and I swear I could see the balloon w/ the caption: "Her biggest job interview EVER and still she won't shut up about the ice and fire books!". :D

That's a good one too kissedbyfire. You are supposed to bring all your life experience to a job interview after all! I hope it helped you secure the position. Its a testament to the power of great stories and story tellers, when they have the ability to stay with us for so long and have resonance in our everyday lives.

I'm thankful too, that my girlfriend listens and even adds input at times, until my tangents get too convoluted. It works in the other direction too. She's a PHD in analytical chemistry, so believe me, my eyes glaze over on occasion when she gets going on something. I tried really hard to read her dissertation but wow, I would have had any easier time understanding Kant or Nietsche in German. It's like a different language!

We tried to watch the show together but it made me crazy and then made her crazy when I kept blurting out,  "Stannis would never do that!" Or "Why are they doing that to Qhorin Halfhand?" or her favorite, "Where the hell is Reek?!":rolleyes: She actually bought me the DVD collection to keep me occupied when she was writing her dissertation but I can't watch it. The first two seasons were enough nonsense for me.

One last funny aside, we installed a wood stove last fall and have really come to love the heat and the ritual of starting and tending the fire. I also have really taken to cutting and stacking my own  wood and of course always remind her when I go out to spend a day in the woods that winter is indeed coming! I also love to sit in front of the window on the stove and feel the heat as I watch the fire. One night as I was sitting there, she came out of our room and said "What are you doing honey?" I replied "Well, I was just looking at the fire, I'm hoping for a sign of Azor Ahai, but all I see is Snow." And she rolled her eyes but also chuckled.

4 minutes ago, Jons bastard brother said:

One time my wife was all fired up and said “I’m the boss” and I replied “ any king who has to say “ I am king” is no true king at all”. She didn’t quite know how to come back after that haha

:D good one. But I’m kinda surprised you didn’t get a clout upside your ear for that one. ^_^

18 hours ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

That's a good one too kissedbyfire. You are supposed to bring all your life experience to a job interview after all! I hope it helped you secure the position.

Exactly! I just told the spouse what you said and his reply was, 'of course, this bloke is obviously another nut just like you'. :lol:

My prospective boss LOVED the story! And yes, I got the job! :D

best job in the world I might add, so a very happy ending despite all his eye-rolling and gazing over! 

Its a testament to the power of great stories and story tellers, when they have the ability to stay with us for so long and have resonance in our everyday lives.

So true, couldn't agree more.

I'm thankful too, that my girlfriend listens and even adds input at times, until my tangents get too convoluted. It works in the other direction too. She's a PHD in analytical chemistry, so believe me, my eyes glaze over on occasion when she gets going on something. I tried really hard to read her dissertation but wow, I would have had any easier time understanding Kant or Nietsche in German. It's like a different language!

Gawd, my eyes glazed over just from reading the words 'analytical chemistry'! 

We tried to watch the show together but it made me crazy and then made her crazy when I kept blurting out,  "Stannis would never do that!" Or "Why are they doing that to Qhorin Halfhand?" or her favorite, "Where the hell is Reek?!":rolleyes: She actually bought me the DVD collection to keep me occupied when she was writing her dissertation but I can't watch it. The first two seasons were enough nonsense for me.

I hear ya. When hubby finally decided he could watch it after all, I was already totally off that abomination. 

One last funny aside, we installed a wood stove last fall and have really come to love the heat and the ritual of starting and tending the fire. I also have really taken to cutting and stacking my own  wood and of course always remind her when I go out to spend a day in the woods that winter is indeed coming! I also love to sit in front of the window on the stove and feel the heat as I watch the fire. One night as I was sitting there, she came out of our room and said "What are you doing honey?" I replied "Well, I was just looking at the fire, I'm hoping for a sign of Azor Ahai, but all I see is Snow." And she rolled her eyes but also chuckled.

:lol: 

Excellent! 

18 minutes ago, Jons bastard brother said:

One time my wife was all fired up and said “I’m the boss” and I replied “ any king who has to say “ I am king” is no true king at all”. She didn’t quite know how to come back after that haha

:lmao:

Is she into the books?

12 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

:D good one. But I’m kinda surprised you didn’t get a clout upside your ear for that one. ^_^

Exactly! :D

My kids (9 & 4) have a habit of leaving the bathroom door open while doing their business.  After a while they must get tired of being called Clodor and will start closing the door.

My wife and I enjoy people watching in public and will create background stories for people.  Once in a while we'll see a real trainwreck of a human and they become a Lollys Stokeworth.  I know, we're mean.

4 hours ago, Robb Snow said:

My mother recently moved to a new Apartment, and out of her 7 neighboors, three are called Snow, Sand und Frey.

Now that is awesome. Talk about foreshadowing and parallels. There has to be a theory the forum can come up with to explain that confluence of names. 7 neighbors too!!! Love it.

23 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Exactly! I just told the spouse what you said and his reply was, 'of course, this bloke is obviously another nut just like you'. :lol:

My prospective boss LOVED the story! And yes, I got the job! :D

best job in the world I might add, so a very happy ending despite all his eye-rolling and gazing over! 

Walnut, pecan or almond, a nut is a nut. Guilty as charged.:rolleyes: I'm glad it worked out though and I agree what GRRM and Parris are doing with the wolf sanctuary is a wonderful thing. I'd donate if I was wealthy just to see my grisly end but would hope my bones were laid to rest somewhere in the North by a weirwood tree.

My ex-boyfriend’s family were golden haired, green eyed, and were called Hill, so I’d joke that they were Lannister bastards. One was in a relationship with a Tully too!

My mother also bears a striking similarity in personality and appearance to Cersei Lannister, so after an argument once I photoshopped her face onto Cersei’s and sent them to her. You could barely tell the difference :D

Archived