ASOIAF in everyday life... Gooble Gobble...

I'm the SharePoint Guy at work and have to create the sites for various projects. They always want a pretty graphic up top, but rarely have one of their own, so they get a temp with the direwolf and "A Project Logo is Coming" (except said logos are not as likely to arrive as winter). :)

On 5/26/2017 at 6:38 AM, kissdbyfire said:

:lol: And now I can't take the picture of a poor sheep with fake antlers slapped on out of my head! :P

We just adopted a(nother) dog. She's lovely and was almost adopted by someone else, and this person named her Zoe and we decided to keep it; she looks very much like a Zoe. But my first reaction was, "but there's no character called Zoe in ASoIaF!" 

Better Zoe than Red Jeyne. 

10 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I once walked into my local bank branch, and encountered a very attractive, petite teller with brown skin brown hair and brown eyes, and I realized that I had found out where Nettles had gone. 

Was she confused when you asked for a bag of stags and dragons?

On 5/27/2017 at 7:39 AM, Seams said:

I wish I knew who in my town "improved" the deer crossing sign that is featured in the cover photo in my profile for this forum. The standard sign already has a leaping stag on a yellow background, so the person created a stencil and added, "Ours is the Fury" in Westeros-style lettering and a crown over the stag's head. The highway department has left the sign in place for several years. Sometimes I go out of my way to take that route, just to check whether the sign is still there.

Of course. I would too. 

On 5/27/2017 at 7:39 AM, Seams said:

I wish I knew who in my town "improved" the deer crossing sign that is featured in the cover photo in my profile for this forum. The standard sign already has a leaping stag on a yellow background, so the person created a stencil and added, "Ours is the Fury" in Westeros-style lettering and a crown over the stag's head. The highway department has left the sign in place for several years. Sometimes I go out of my way to take that route, just to check whether the sign is still there.

Of course. I would too. 

On 5/27/2017 at 2:10 PM, Wylla Manderly said:

In the small town I used to work I came across a van which belonged to a craftsman. It said Familie Stark - Kamin- und Heizungsbau ( family Stark - construction/installation of fireplaces and radiators/heaters). And  of course my first thought was: yeah, winter is coming.

This whole thread makes me happy, but this keeps me warm inside.

1 hour ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I posted in another thread I have sworn by the old gods & the new while having normal, everyday, non-asoiaf related conversation. 

Also my phone auto corrects my words to characters names or other asoiaf words. 

The other day my daughter didn't do what she was supposed to so my husband said I should take her phone. Without missing a beat she said "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." She has not read the books so apparently I say this too 

Did your husband take her phone? 

So my coworker told me he was going on a date with this new guy and he was a big ASOIAF fan.  I got a little too... invested in these two working out.  Especially when he was showing me a text message that said he ships Sansan, Gendry x Arya, and Val x Jon.  My coworker is only lowkey interested in the show and had to ask me who Val was.  I admit I had no chill at that point.  Seriously, I wanted to meet this guy!  When they didn't really hit it off I was actually a bit sad about it.  :lol:   

5 minutes ago, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

So my coworker told me he was going on a date with this new guy and he was a big ASOIAF fan.  I got a little too... invested in these two working out.  Especially when he was showing me a text message that said he ships Sansan, Gendry x Arya, and Val x Jon.  My coworker is only lowkey interested in the show and had to ask me who Val was.  I admit I had no chill at that point.  Seriously, I wanted to meet this guy!  When they didn't really hit it off I was actually a bit sad about it.  :lol:   

Something tells me I may like this gentleman :leer::D... send him my way.

The other day, I read “stock market” as “Stark market”.

Recently, I had to write an essay about a topic that included a man and his wife. We were required to include some kind of allusion to a contemporary work, so I wrote “moon of his life” and “sun and stars” whenever possible.

I’ve been obsessed with ASOIAF since I was 12. When we had to do a poetry analysis, I picked Rains of Castamere and The Dornishman’s Wife as poems to present to the class. I also began telling everyone “winter is coming”. When asked why I keep saying that, I showed my friend ACOK. My friend opened it up to a random page and read something like, “A naked man fell from the sky”. For a while, people in my year knew me as the one who read “that inappropriate book”. Recently, some of those same people came up to me and said stuff like, “I have to tell you this: I began reading AGOT, and now I understand why you were obsessed with it back then. I’ve become obsessed too.” :D 

I often spontaneously blurt out my current thoughts about ASoIaF to my girlfriend until I notice her eyes start to glaze over. She's never read the books but apparently is retaining much more of my diatribes than I knew. We were discussing going to a family wedding recently and it was far away and we are busy as all get out these days. She asks me at the end of a lengthy conversation on the logistics, "Do you even want to go." I answer, "Want has nothing to do with it. It's my duty. She's my niece!" She shoots back, "Ok, Stannis, well I'm going to bed. Let me know what you decide in the morning."

59 minutes ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

I often spontaneously blurt out my current thoughts about ASoIaF to my girlfriend until I notice her eyes start to glaze over. She's never read the books but apparently is retaining much more of my diatribes than I knew. We were discussing going to a family wedding recently and it was far away and we are busy as all get out these days. She asks me at the end of a lengthy conversation on the logistics, "Do you even want to go." I answer, "Want has nothing to do with it. It's my duty. She's my niece!" She shoots back, "Ok, Stannis, well I'm going to bed. Let me know what you decide in the morning."

That is hilarious! My dogs are looking at me funny because I just laughed so loud :D

Archived