Wonder Woman (spoiler thread) - skip to pg. 14 for actual movie discussion

Corvinus85

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Btw, anyone here who up on the able to explain how this isn't technically illegal|? 

How about you try to explain why you think it might be illegal?  Keep in mind your anger that you missing out on a couple hours of sexually harrassing a certain group of women isn't a reason for it be illegal, or even unethical.

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Btw, anyone here who up on the able to explain how this isn't technically illegal|? 

I think it's genius from a marketing standpoint, especially in regards to the film being featured. As far as a political statement, I think it's somewhat problematic, and there is a measure of hypocrisy that can be certainly applied.

I don't see how it can reasonably be seen as being illegal though. There are plenty of other theaters that are showing this feature. Not sure how you could prove that your rights are being violated in any meaningful way by this.

I'm guessing that banning anyone based on their gender or race to a public event would be deemed discriminatory and probably illegal but that's why I'm asking the question.

Either way it's a poor way to get over a positive message ( unless of course your goal was to to stir controversy to promote your movie )

Seriously, where was all this faux-rage when we've spend the last decade without a female led superhero film among all the dozens of superhero films that have hit the screen.  

A single special event isn't preventing you from seeing a film.  It's not discriminating against you anymore than any other special event in which you aren't invited is discriminating against you.  The outrage and the sold out screenings makes it clear this sort of event is much desired amount the XX crowd

Yeah, at the end of the day I think it's Much Ado About Nothing. 

To the point of not having a female led superhero film, I get your point, but it doesn't completely hold up under scrutiny. We've had Catwoman, Elektra, and I think you could reasonably include Fury Road. And I bet I'm missing one or two examples.

4 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Movie theater sets up women only viewing for a film about a very meaningful female character.  Man tries to force another man to treat a woman like a sex object.  Man wonders why women might enjoy a women only space.  

Very well put. :bowdown: 

Wow, you boys are...well you're a word I probably shouldn't use here.  Way too much to respond to individually.  I want to make clear that a special event at a movie theater is not the same as someone preventing people from marriage, so just move on from trying to attempt that comparison because it's sickening.  My right to marriage is in no way comparable to you missing out on one night special event film screening.  

There is one poster here who throws a fit anytime someone discusses the lack of women present in X group.  I'll be sure to bookmark some of your posts here so I can quote you to remind you that you thew a fit that you weren't invited to a special event to watch a film.

4 minutes ago, Leap said:

You see how two things can be logically comparable without being the same in proportion or degree? 

I think you have hit upon Dr. Pepper's willful blind spot here. It is a debating tool she uses over and over and over again. She will give you no quarter on this point. 

The two points are logically comparable, obviously. You'd have to be completely delusional not to concede that point.

Ok, in case none of you looked more into this issue of the theater, the special 'women only' screening will be on June 6, at one theater of the ones they have, and according to their statement, not just for women customer, but their entire staff for the evening will be only women.

“The most iconic superheroine in comic book history finally has her own movie, and what better way to celebrate than with an all-female screening?” wrote the Austin-based theater. “Apologies, gentlemen, but we’re embracing our girl power and saying ‘No Guys Allowed’ for one special night at the Alamo Ritz. And when we say ‘Women (and People Who Identify As Women) Only,’ we mean it. Everyone working at this screening — venue staff, projectionist, and culinary team — will be female.”

So this event will take place nearly a full week after the movie's release.

I'm not sure there is anywhere near the anger about the issue that is being suggested by the media. It's helpful to portray the whole issue as a bunch of butt hurt white males crying into their basements.

But it does seem to part of a general trend and for a movie that wants to promote itself as about equality, instead is being very regressive and creating segregation. 

The real problem is you have people like Pepper who seem to see that as a cause for celebration and shouts down anyone who points out the problems with the event.

Yes it's discrimination. Not all discrimination is bad. This is a case where the discrimination is not bad, and can in fact be justified; it's not treating a group historically oppressed or disadvantaged less favourably, it's not perpetuating dangerous and toxic ideologies, it's limited in scope (seriously one fucking movie theatre in a huge ass country get a fucking grip people) and makes perfect sense from a marketing perspective. It's a total non-issue that shouldn't even require discussion yet here we are because boo hoo one movie theatre is giving a woman's only screening for a film with an iconic female superhero.

And if your take-away from this is that the film is promoting segregation you obviously haven't paid attention to the wider media coverage. In interviews and such the cast has been very good in pointing out, in response to "female role model" that actually she is a model for young children of any gender. 

It would be a total non issue except the media is making it an issue by blowing it up and making look like it's upset those evil backward men on the internet.  Like I said, that's a convenient narrative for the makers of the movie and I'm sure they are happy to stir the pot even more. 

Obviously the movie isn't promoting segregation, it's about trying to create a strong feminist icon.. but then they pull a stunt where they ban men. It's for effect clearly , but what's the message they are sending 

6 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

It would be a total non issue except the media is making it an issue by blowing it up and making look like it's upset those evil backward men on the internet.  Like I said, that's a convenient narrative for the makers of the movie and I'm sure they are happy to stir the pot even more. 

Obviously the movie isn't promoting segregation, it's about trying to create a strong feminist icon.. but then they pull a stunt where they ban men. It's for effect clearly , but what's the message they are sending 

This movie is another mediocre doo doo cash grab that the entire superhero genre has become so......SJW, feminism, Trump, racists, oppressed, Russia, the patriarchy, and please buy a ticket.

Archived