Do real friendships happen on this forum?

WestBevHi93

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

Trying to remember how many Board Babies we're up to now. At least half a dozen I think?

I'm rusty on statistics, but I'm pretty sure that proves that being on the board increases human sexiness and fertility by at least 0.3%

Proud mother of the first of our kind. 

Not to mention, I just (seriously, just) married the sap who's put up with me for 12 years. Who just so happened to be a card carrying Miscellaneous board (now GenChat) member. Our youngest is named for Bran Stark, but we don't really talk about the books at all. (I'll tell you a secret: he never read ADWD.) 

I've only met one member of this board, in person and she is truly a friend.  That said, There are many people from this board that I've never met, and they are also truly friends.

Maybe I should mention that there are some folks on this board that I'd prefer not come anywhere near me.  :P

Yes, friendships happen here.  

I've met people from all over the US from this board.  When I go to a new town/state (I travel a lot) I always send out a request for BWB meet ups. 

People on here are great, and i'm lucky to be part of the community.  This may be one of the rare places on the old inter webs were actual human interaction not only occurs, but is encouraged.  

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Once again, you forgot to list me on your list of people you love and admire...i don't know why I continue to put up with you...

Does anyone know who this guy is?

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

No clue, but I heard a rumor someone with a Topanga avatar once spent $83 on Hank Basket for his fantasy football draft. 

You're all a bunch of saps.  The OP is some guy with four (4!) posts on the board, starting a thread to announce that he's a single male in the US, supplying his age an personal interests, looking to meet up in person, and you all rush in with your kum-by-yah, hippy free-love responses. 

Why did no-one mock Mr. OKCupid yet?  Am I the only cynical poster left?  You've all gotten soft. 

Am I the only one who sometimes lies awake wondering about what happened to some of the boarders who somehow disappeared? The ones very active in genchat or os chat and then suddenly gone.

6 minutes ago, kiko said:

Am I the only one who sometimes lies awake wondering about what happened to some of the boarders who somehow disappeared? The ones very active in genchat or os chat and then suddenly gone.

*cough cough*

18 minutes ago, kiko said:

Some of them have the courtesy to have a massive meltdown and explain in great detail, occasionally with PowerPoint, why they'll never post again.  The less considerate announce the happy arrival of a new baby and then ghost us. 

I assume some of the others found something new and more meaningful in their lives but didn't want to sound judgey.

I like to think Hammer is still wearing a tinfoil hat, Roland finally got relief for those blue balls, Ztem made his comeback in high finance and SotM is working on a board game version of the Zorse Wars. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

You're all a bunch of saps.  The OP is some guy with four (4!) posts on the board, starting a thread to announce that he's a single male in the US, supplying his age an personal interests, looking to meet up in person, and you all rush in with your kum-by-yah, hippy free-love responses. 

Why did no-one mock Mr. OKCupid yet?  Am I the only cynical poster left?  You've all gotten soft. 

I came in here to mock this guy, so I'm glad you're on top of it. Thank you for your service, Isk.

1 hour ago, Arbor Gold said:

I came in here to mock this guy, so I'm glad you're on top of it. Thank you for your service, Isk.

Says the poster I was super lucky to meet in person about 5 years ago when she came to my country! :D
I can say I met my best friend on this board (we would never "work" on paper, and yet she's made my life better by knowing her.)  I've had phenomenally close relationships with people for years before I was fortunate enough to meet them in person.  And, the great thing about this community - if you're not a total dick wad, they're a fantastic bunch of people who look out for each other.
My hubby who was never on the board met up with some of these great people last year at WorldCon - now HE'S the one who is asking when we can meet up again, which trips are we going to plan to meet up with these guys, and of course now he plans to look up BWBers when he travels for work trips!  (He's been assimilated.)
Again - main point (and don't underestimate how important this is) - DON'T BE A DICK WAD. :cheers:

1 hour ago, Arbor Gold said:

Truth. @Arbor Gold - plus, his board name is a shout out to Beverly Hills 90210, so in my mind, he is actually Ian Ziering. 

1 hour ago, Salome Sand Witch said:

Again - main point (and don't underestimate how important this is) - DON'T BE A DICK WAD. :cheers:

I wish someone had told me that before :D 

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It's that time of the year when it is getting too hot for our brains to be brisk about mocking love. The optimal time is February.

I live in God forsaken land far from all the parties of the Board. But, so help me Lemoncake, I shall see one Con before my love for lemoncakes (read: obesity) kills me. 

4 hours ago, Myshkin said:

he changed his user name - used to be Jace.

Friends aren't people you're always standing next to, but they know you're always standing with them.

Everyone here seems to love the shit out of me, but I hate you all. Mainly because you guys make me start my own vanity thread about myself every year on my birthday because no one will talk about how great I am, and I then have to share it with Mr. X and Aemon Stark who are both much, much cooler than me and share birthdays on the same day. 

I've met a lot of you, I know a whole lot more. despite my despise, you guys are a wonderful group of geeks and freaks...

13 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

Everyone here seems to love the shit out of me, but I hate you all. Mainly because you guys make me start my own vanity thread about myself every year on my birthday because no one will talk about how great I am, and I then have to share it with Mr. X and Aemon Stark who are both much, much cooler than me and share birthdays on the same day. 

I've met a lot of you, I know a whole lot more. despite my despise, you guys are a wonderful group of geeks and freaks...

chili has beans in it

8 hours ago, Risto said:

I live in God forsaken land far from all the parties of the Board. But, so help me Lemoncake, I shall see one Con before my love for lemoncakes (read: obesity) kills me. 

Can you come to Helsinki? :P

Archived