Death of a Proud Sailor, a Board Legend - RIP Lord O' Bones

Fragile Bird

To repeat what I said on the Facebook post about this, I sadly never had the chance to meet him but I've read his posts on here for many years (it is hard to believe the legendary towel incident is almost 8 years old now), they were always worth reading and had a lot of his personality in them.

11 hours ago, Arbor Gold said:

I have a few pictures I'd love to post but I'm middle-aged now and the new-fangled technology on this forum confounds me.

I think posting pictures directly on the forum is disabled, so you would have to post them elsewhere and link to them.

8 hours ago, Arbor Gold said:

John and I used to text each other, "the moon looks cool. go take a look."

I was just outside, and the moon looks cool. If you can, please go take a look and think of John.

Dammit, that made me start crying again. I guess I'll think of John whenever I look at the moon from now on. :)

as others told i would chat with John on Yuku.  i was going through a divorce and he (and the rest of you) provided a great distraction from what i was going through. 

on the board we argued about baseball. his love for the giants mirrored my hatred for them. we said terrible things to one another,  but it came from a place of respect and a need for humor. i can never hate the giants ever again and not have him in my mind. so glad those fuckers won three titles in the last six years that bastard could savor.

in january 2015 my father was very ill and in a va hospital in Boise. on Facebook i mentioned Boise.  he sent me a message asking why i was there.  we then chatted about his own experience in the va system and helped put my mind at ease. 

sadly during the election cycle i like others lost touch with him. regrettably i blocked him. i let his political fervor cloud my ability to just be his friend. i am sorry, John. 

you will be missed by so many.

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

I think posting pictures directly on the forum is disabled, so you would have to post them elsewhere and link to them.

Oh, so still a PITA then? *sigh* Thanks for the info!

Speaking of pictures, those of you who remember a picture of me involving non-regulation use of a U.S. Navy-issued sailor hat may enjoy knowing that that sailor hat was...not my hat. We got a kick out of having secrets like that. For a long time his custom title was "Arrogant Bastard". That wasn't a reference to the beer, that was a quote from a text message I sent him. And that was when we were on good terms. :lol:

I understand he was having health problems but I had no idea.  I don't check in all that often anymore but am glad I did or I would never have seen this.  About 8 years ago he said to me life was to short to allow random assholes you meet online to get you angry.  He was absolutely correct about that.  

R.I.P. 

During the last election cycle, I was never tempted to block our LoB.  He was infuriating, yes.  But he, also, was so ANGRY.  His posts helped me to understand an entire group of people that just baffled and enraged me.  

He was so clear and so human that he managed to take the razor's edge off of my post-election misandry.  In his own way, he redeemed a whole lot of people that had me in a smiting fury.  I love him for that.  

Still never dating a dude again after that election.  He wasn't a MIRACLE WORKER.

Sleep well, friend.  I'll be up there sooner or later to pick up where we left off, you unconsciously misogynistic, aggravating, and brave weirdo.  

Edit:  handsome, forgot handsome.  Though that bit goes without saying, Navy man and all.

Bonesy was one of the first people on Gen Chat to engage me in conversation.  Having joined the board in 2011, I was a first wave noob, and the transition from upcountry discussions to the south lands of the board was interesting.  Lord o' Bones was always kind to me, a great storyteller who appreciated the tales of others.  Like a lot of people here, we became Facebook friends, and I enjoyed his posts there, even when suffering through his love of Bernie and hatred of HRC.  I looked back and saw he was posting as recently as the beginning of May.  I don't understand how he is gone.  When I learned he was sick again, I thought he'd beat the illness as he had done repeatedly in the past.  We have lost a friend, someone who was hysterically entertaining while also exhibiting kindness to those of us who needed it most.  @ArborGold and @rocksniffer--Your stories have made me cry (with a certain Commie questioning what on my phone was making me weep), but I so appreciate your sharing them with us.  @ArborGold--I love the story about the moon.  For those who did not know John or who perhaps found his election views problematic, I found this posting that is so emblematic of his personality.  In response to his dad's criticism of his saying one could not be a Republican and a Christian in 2017, "Well yeah dad, but it's only Facebook. There is no one I'm friends with here I don't love and respect."  I miss you Bonesy, and I miss your posts on the board and on Facebook that made me laugh, and I miss your kindness.  I hope somewhere you're telling stories, while elated that you finally got your old name, avatar, and post count returned.  Good bye, sweet friend.  I will miss you always.

R.I.P.

Though I don't really interact on the board, I've been coming here a couple of times a day since 2011. I was wondering the other day where he and a couple other regulars had gone (Galactus, Shryke, solo, FLOW ect), so seeing these news is both saddening and shocking. I don't really have anything to add, but I wished to pay my respects and say that him being gone makes me sad.

1 hour ago, BloodRider said:

This sucks.  Will we have a board representative at the service who can pass along what he meant for the community here.  I think it would mean much to his family.

His family has been using John's Facebook page to communicate with his friends, and people are posting tributes and pictures there.  rocksniffer has been the contact person with his aunt. When John first went to hospital and seemed to be doing better, he put together a large chat group with many friends, being the organized person he was, likely so he could respond to everyone easily. I had asked him how he was doing, and he said he was feeling much better. Sadly, he then took a turn for the worse and I didn't see anymore posts from him. :crying:  But because he set up the group, we were getting much of our news through the link, and many messages of love and support were sent. And this page has been linked with family so that they can read our tributes. :)

The family has expressed enormous appreciation for our messages and stories, and I strongly encourage anyone who has a story about any of their interactions with LoB to post the story. :)

There was a memorial service yesterday, apparently. I had first understood there wasn't going to be one.  Mya Stone is collecting money for a donation to the Palo Alto VA hospital in California where he was first treated about two years ago (and where they saved his life, John said recovery chances from his condition were under 10%) in lieu of flowers. The thread is pinned to the top of the page, and money will be collected until Saturday, and then presented to the hospital.

I was away from the board this weekend and missed this news.  I am truly sorry to hear of his passing. 

We had talked about getting together sometime in Louisville, but in the way of all things... we never took time to actually do it.  Missed opportunities are the worst.

Rest easy Bonesy.

Archived