Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fragile Bird

Death of a Proud Sailor, a Board Legend - RIP Lord O' Bones

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Bonesy often knew just what to say, didn't he?

I had a board crush on him, just like Baita said, and others. I'm pretty sure half the board did. He was funny and droll, knowledgeable about many things, self-deprecating at times and arrogant at others, and could read people and knew how to respond to what he saw. Sensitive is a word that's been used, but that word isn't big enough to fully describe him.

Bonesy liked women and that's why women responded to him. You knew it when you talked to him on the board or on fb. A lot of guys think they like women, but it's more like they are standing on the opposite side of the room, whereas John was on the same side of the room with you.

He had a rapport with many of the guys on the board too, not just the women. I'm not delusional,  I know he wasn't perfect, but no one is. If there was anyone who deserved to live a long and happy life, it was him. We all do, of course, but I really wished a good life for him.

More than anything he reminded me strongly of a brother I lost when he was 29. They did the same things, they talked the same way, they had the same eyes. My brother loved women too, and they loved him. He too could be a dick sometimes and was unafraid to tell you when you were being one. I told John about him and how much he reminded me of him. Knowing John was a bit like having him back, and losing John has been like losing him all over again. 

There are a lot of great and wonderful people on this board, but there was only one Lord O' Bones. Rest in peace.

Darling bird, i see you found your words...and they are beautiful...though i expect Bones would talk shit about our sappy thoughts...but i don't care your remembrances make me happy...

:wub:

21 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

hey friends...and everyone else who has given a word or two to the memory of Lord o' Bones...i'm sorry i can't look back and see who said something about photos...well imgur works, so here are a couple i have from the Aunts to share...
here with the power of E...Elvis, that  is.

and of course Sailor Bones

and this one...

i think this was posted by a close friend on facebook,..cheers from Bones....as i raise a glass to him...

thank you @Arbor Gold...thank you very much...i am looking at my moon now...

I keep thinking about the only picture I had of Bonesy.  It's not one to share with his family though.

While his humor could take a wicked turn, it could occasionally take a TMI one as well. Not sure how it came up, but he was talking about how his butt cheeks turn red when he's sitting on the toilet. Not sure what I responded, but it netted me a picture of his red butt cheeks :rofl:

One of the things I knew about him was that he loved his mom and sister.  That strikes me because a lot of men pretend to casual feelings for the women in their lives and he was unabashed in loving and admiring them while also managing to be a 'man's man.'  He was gifted in thought and expression.

I just said 'was' in relation to LoB.  That just ain't right.

Can someone link to his profile as Bonesy?  I didn't follow the politics thread so while I know he supported Bernie, I never read his posts in the recent past (since he had to make a new profile.)  There used to be a 'members' button where you could look people up but I can't work it out. It would be comforting to read his old posts.

Talk about surreal.

For those of you who don't know (and most people on here don't), I'm the editor of a small community newspaper. I just got John's obit in my email to be included in our next newspaper. It's a pretty great obituary, so I'll share it here.

span data-node-flag="true">a

John Benedict Kenady, 42, of Louisville, died peacefully on Saturday, May 27, 2017, at Baptist East Hospital, with his loving mother and family by his side. He was born in Louisville, Kentucky, on February 8, 1975. After living in Trumbull, Connecticut for several years, John and his family moved to California in 1982, where he graduated from Los Gatos High School in 1993. He served his country in the United States Navy from 1993 to 1999, and was a Gulf War veteran.  He was stationed on the Destroyers USS Fife and later, the USS Cushing. He was an ET3 and served in Japan, the Persian Gulf, the China Sea and the Philippines. He later worked as a civilian for Harris Corporation in Sunnyvale, California.

John is survived by his mother, Ruth Rogers Haley (Barron) of Pagosa Springs, Colorado; father, Kerry M. Kenady of Russellville, Kentucky; sister Kathy Kenady of Boise, Idaho; half sister Kary Leann Leigh (Norman) of Louisville; half brother Michael Kenady of Louisville; niece Kyla Kenady of Louisville; stepsister Sabrina Haley of Oakland, California; and numerous aunts, uncles and cousins.

He was preceded in death by his maternal grandparents, Gerald and Helen Rogers, paternal grandparents, Harold and Lillian Kenady, uncle Don Kenady, cousin Joe Rogers, and nephew Michael Hardin.

John had a brilliant mind and a razor sharp wit. He was fiercely loyal to his many friends, and he lived an uncensored and unapologetic life. He was a sensitive and loving soul who will be deeply missed.

Cremation was chosen. A Celebration of Life was held for John on May 29, 2017, in Louisville with his family. If desired, donations in John’s name can be made to any veterans’ charity.  Please honor and remember John in your own meaningful way. Read a copy of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Cheer for the Giants, Sharks, or Warriors.  Take your own small personal action toward social justice. Fair winds and following seas, John. We love you.

1 hour ago, MisterOJ said:

Talk about surreal.

For those of you who don't know (and most people on here don't), I'm the editor of a small community newspaper. I just got John's obit in my email to be included in our next newspaper. It's a pretty great obituary, so I'll share it here. 

Thank you for sharing that Mister, it's just perfect. 

4 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Talk about surreal.

Thank you for sharing that with us, MisterOJ. It was both beautiful and brilliant. <3

I feel like I hadn't seen him around here as much lately, but I am so happy I was able to read his Facebook posts over the last few months. He had beliefs he would not back down from, and he defended them no matter who grew upset with him--and I loved reading every post he wrote. He was one of the best, and I'm so sad seeing this news.

Thank you MisterOJ - that's a great memorial to him.

Thanks Mr OJ i appreciate this more than you know...

21 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I keep thinking about the only picture I had of Bonesy.  It's not one to share with his family though.

While his humor could take a wicked turn, it could occasionally take a TMI one as well. Not sure how it came up, but he was talking about how his butt cheeks turn red when he's sitting on the toilet. Not sure what I responded, but it netted me a picture of his red butt cheeks :rofl:

now the towel story is better since i know he had red toilet rings under that towel...

:lmao:

15 hours ago, litechick said:

One of the things I knew about him was that he loved his mom and sister.  That strikes me because a lot of men pretend to casual feelings for the women in their lives and he was unabashed in loving and admiring them while also managing to be a 'man's man.'  He was gifted in thought and expression.

I just said 'was' in relation to LoB.  That just ain't right.

Can someone link to his profile as Bonesy?  I didn't follow the politics thread so while I know he supported Bernie, I never read his posts in the recent past (since he had to make a new profile.)  There used to be a 'members' button where you could look people up but I can't work it out. It would be comforting to read his old posts.

well chick here is his Bonesy profile liink...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/profile/18344-bonesy/

:smoking:

21 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I am never EVER going to look at the moon the same way.

My words still haven't come. I'll miss you Bonesy.

I haven't been to the board for a long time but I have to get this out somehow. I only knew him for a short time compared to most of you, but there are few who made such an impression on me like he did. I am happy he lived so vigorously. I am happy he was the funny crazy bastard he was, and I hope he knew how much that was appreciated and how many laughs he spread as well as thoughts. I wished I could given him my blood, and I wish I had talked to him more. I didn't know it was so bad. Shit.. this is hard...

I truly appreciate all the moments I got with you in the brief time I got to know you. Live on and fight on LoB. I miss you <3

My condolences to all of his family and friends 

5 minutes ago, Eyron said:

I haven't been to the board for a long time but I have to get this out somehow. I only knew him for a short time compared to most of you, but there are few who made such an impression on me like he did. I am happy he lived so vigorously. I am happy he was the funny crazy bastard he was, and I hope he knew how much that was appreciated and how many laughs he spread as well as thoughts. I wished I could given him my blood, and I wish I had talked to him more. I didn't know it was so bad. Shit.. this is hard...

I truly appreciate all the moments I got with you in the brief time I got to know you. Live on and fight on LoB. I miss you <3

My condolences to all of his family and friends 

excellent words, my friend...i am so happy to see you here...

2 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

excellent words, my friend...i am so happy to see you here...

Thank you sniffer. I am so sad for you and everyone. I am crying buckets now that I had some time to process things.

Jfc. I'm gone for a bit and come back to this news. Bonesy will be sorely missed. RIP you fucker :cheers: