Death of a Proud Sailor, a Board Legend - RIP Lord O' Bones

Fragile Bird

Cross-posted in the Donation Thread: 

Thank you everyone SO much. We ended up with a $2200 donation to the Palo Alto VA, in loving memory of our fallen friend, John B Kenady. Just sent confirmation to John's family via Facebook. I have one last story I'd like to share about John. The night after his procedure, in the middle of the night, actually, he made a small group on Facebook Messenger. He never wrote a word, but it is because of this group that we learned of his passing as quickly as we did. I have to think that somewhere, he knew, and had the presence of mind to connect everyone the way he did. With all of this being said, this final gesture we made in his honor was posted to this group message he created. 

"Members of John's family: 

We, the members of westeros.org, to which John was a member who brought laughter, knowledge, sarcasm, wit, and yes, at times, frustration out in all of us, wished to do something in his honor. Together, we raised $2200.00 and have donated that to the Palo Alto VA, without which, we know we wouldn't have been able to keep John in our lives for as long as we did. We hope you accept this as a token of our eternal love and and respect for him. He touched so many lives, moreso than I think he even realized. 

With love,
Sarah (and over 60 other donors)"

Thank you to everyone who donated what they could. This was truly a group effort. I am so proud to be a part of this community. 

All my love, 

Mya

It's tragic and beautiful how people come into and go out of your life and the ways their influence ripples outward.  LoB's death has brought many, like me, to return to the wellspring that first brought us together.  This thread and the donations made in his name are a wonderful tribute to him and also how special this community is.  Rest in Peace.  

On 6/1/2017 at 11:00 AM, MisterOJ said:

Talk about surreal.

For those of you who don't know (and most people on here don't), I'm the editor of a small community newspaper. I just got John's obit in my email to be included in our next newspaper. It's a pretty great obituary, so I'll share it here...

That was a truly beautiful obituary. We should all hope to have someone to write such a loving and eloquent eulogy when we depart. Thank you for sharing it. I'm sorta new to the board and mostly lurk outside of the entertainment forum, so this thread has been nice to learn more about this board legend. My condolences to all here who knew him. He certainly had his time on earth cut off too soon, but to his credit, he certainly seems to have made the most with what he was given. Rest in peace, Bonesy.

Hopefully no one ever "locks" this thread and causes it to sink into the abyss. It'd be nice if the thread kept growing and people just keep adding to it. :)

So I come back for a quick read at this site and I see THIS. 

Fuck.  I knew he was sometimes sick, but not the extent of it.   MotherFUCK it.  He was way too young for shit to take him out. 

I read a bit of your remembrances of him, but I honestly can't take it. 

11 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

So I come back for a quick read at this site and I see THIS. 

Fuck.  I knew he was sometimes sick, but not the extent of it.   MotherFUCK it.  He was way too young for shit to take him out. 

I read a bit of your remembrances of him, but I honestly can't take it. 

:grouphug:

I've missed you. I'm sorry this was what you had to see. It's been awful.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, no. John... damn. I try to stay off Facebook as much as possible, and I don't come here often enough, and so I had no idea. I knew of his previous illnesses, of course, but... damn.

John and AG were the first people I met from the board, probably around a decade ago now. I think I commented to him upon first meeting him that I'd half expected a skull wearing a San Jose Sharks jersey. I still remember the towel thread's subtitle, which appears to be lost to time - "Today, I have joined your illustrious club!" He was a good dude. Mya - thank you for setting up the group donation; I will send a little bit to the Palo Alto VA as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how I missed this thread.  I just haven't been on here much.

But I am glad I finally did see it.  He was a total hoot, always straight up, and I'm glad I got to know him.

The older I get, the more I realize how fast it goes by.  I hope you are all taking care of yourself.  You matter to a lot of people, including me.

• 10 months later...

Watching game one of the NBA Finals had me thinking of John. He was a huge Warriors fan, and he and I had several debates about them. Sadly he passed just before they won the championship last year. I can believe it’s been a year.

R.I.P. Bonesy

Archived