US Politics: Terminal America

Sivin

20 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Good grief.  So, if only a small number of people know what it means why the hell did he tweet it to the entire planet?

:facepalm:

He just cant stop himself from leaking to the world for covfefe's sake

Sometimes I wonder if the Republican Party is just saying:

"Oh yeah, you thought Dubya was bad? Well, we'll show you!!! Wait until you get a fuckin' load of this guy!!!"

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/our-allies-alarm-trumps-foreign-policy-vision-takes-shape

This morning, for example, White House National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster and White House National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn wrote a Wall Street Journal op-ed in which they made a provocative case:

The president embarked on his first foreign trip with a clear-eyed outlook that the world is not a “global community” but an arena where nations, nongovernmental actors and businesses engage and compete for advantage. We bring to this forum unmatched military, political, economic, cultural and moral strength. Rather than deny this elemental nature of international affairs, we embrace it.

In this vision, U.S. allies aren’t partners, so much they’re competitors in the “arena.” It’s a model in which the American president stops leading the free world and starts defeating it.

20 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

"Oh yeah, you thought Dubya was bad? Well, we'll show you!!! Wait until you get a fuckin' load of this guy!!!"

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/our-allies-alarm-trumps-foreign-policy-vision-takes-shape

Whatever respect I had for McMaster or faith that he was going to be a voice of integrity in a room of humanoid swine is quickly eroding.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Good grief.  So, if only a small number of people know what it means why the hell did he tweet it to the entire planet?

:facepalm:

For the same reason he told Netanyahu that he didn't tell the Russians he'd gotten intelligence from Israeli intelligence services while telling them the intelligence the US  received from Israel security services.

48 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Can you clarify what you find objectionable in the lines that you quoted? To me, it is self-evident that the world is "an arena where nations, nongovernmental actors and businesses engage and compete for advantage."

9 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Can you clarify what you find objectionable in the lines that you quoted? To me, it is self-evident that the world is "an arena where nations, nongovernmental actors and businesses engage and compete for advantage."

Because I'm about 55% liberal internationalist idealist and about 45% realist.
I find this return, it would seem to me,  to 19th Century Foreign Policy a bit atrocious.

12 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Because the U.S. should not be in the business of putting other countries out of business.  Because they are not businesses.  They are nations.

16 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I find this return, it would seem to me,  to 19th Century Foreign Policy a bit atrocious.

Well, at least you don't need to change much to reach a state more suited for what appears to be the near-term future. :) I've always though of liberal internationalist idealism as a thin and translucent cloak over realism, although late 20th and early 21st century realism has indeed been quite different from its 19th century predecessor.

36 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Except it isn't. Even in business it's not wholly true. There is more international cooperation and collaboration now than there ever has been.

14 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Except it isn't. Even in business it's not wholly true. There is more international cooperation and collaboration now than there ever has been.

Just wait for it -- we'll be SWIMMING in bullion. http://101qs-media.s3.amazonaws.com/largethumbs/559-money-bin.jpg

/mercantilism ... smh

1 hour ago, OldGimletEye said:

Isn't this some kind of weird international capitalistic Darwinism.  Survival of the fittest country, or perhaps who has the biggest covfefe?  

Whatever could go wrong?

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

We're going to be doing all the winning (in our not so far off global dystopian future)! 

3 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Who doesn't want a return of gunboat diplomacy? What harm has imperialism ever done anyone?

The Russia Scandal just will not die:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-administration-moves-to-return-russian-compounds-in-maryland-and-new-york/ar-BBBKtd5?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

The Trump administration is moving toward handing back to Russia two diplomatic compounds, near New York City and on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, from which its officials were ejected in late December as punishment for Moscow’s interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Then-President Barack Obama said Dec. 29 that the compounds were being “used by Russian personnel for intelligence-related purposes,” and gave Russia 24 hours to vacate them. Separately, Obama expelled from the United States what he said were 35 Russian “intelligence operatives.”

Archived