NBA Finals: TRILOGY Edition!!!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

15 hours ago, Triskan said:

We're one Dray Green suspension last year's finals away from contemplating if the Warriors are set up for a five-peat.

Could just as easily say that we're a healthy Kyrie Irving away from Cleveland being 2-1 in this Finals series.  

I think it's hilarious that people constantly bring up Green being suspended for one game but never even mention that the Cavs were without Love and Irving in 2015 and LeBron still won two games.  If Kyrie is healthy, the Cavs win that series.  LeBron burnt out because he had to do everything.  And Green was suspended for game five.  One game.  The Warriors had two more opportunities to win when Green was playing.  They didn't.  

Also, Love missed a game and a half with a concussion last year too.

So the Sixers and Celts have struck a deal. The Celts #1 pick for the Sixers 3rd and what is believed to be the Sixers 1st round pick pick next year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-celtics-76ers-will-finalize-trade-monday-sixers-will-take-markelle-fultz-with-top-pick/

/Should make the 76ers a playoff team next year, so I'm not sure how valuable this is going to be for the Celts. I guess they were hot on Jackson anyway, so I suppose it's a solid move.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So the Sixers and Celts have struck a deal. The Celts #1 pick for the Sixers 3rd and what is believed to be the Sixers 1st round pick pick next year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-celtics-76ers-will-finalize-trade-monday-sixers-will-take-markelle-fultz-with-top-pick/

/Should make the 76ers a playoff team next year, so I'm not sure how valuable this is going to be for the Celts. I guess they were hot on Jackson anyway, so I suppose it's a solid move.

The 2018 pick is supposed to be the Lakers' unprotected pick. So it could be good. Guess Danny Ainge is really doubling down on the 2018 draft, since he has picks from LA and Brooklyn. There's supposed to be a really talented big man coming in 2018, maybe that's what Ainge is aiming for. Or maybe he is going to make a play for someone like George or Butler... which I think would be a mistake.

I'm kinda disappointed. I was eager to see what Fultz could do.

9 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

No way the Sixers are going to be a playoff team next year, unless they go load up on a ton of legit veterans in free agency. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Very strange trade by the Celtics. I would have tried to package that pick and a few other things for Anthony Davis, personally. 

I think this is actually more likely to get them Anthony Davis. Pelicans need a ton of assets. Now you can offer them #3 this year, and the Lakers and Nets picks next year. (That Lakers pick turns into the Kings 2019 pick if it doesn't fall in the 2-5 range). So both teams get a little bit of protection on the pick, which is I've never seen before.

I still don't like this trade for either team. Boston needs to maximize their chance of adding a single superstar. Philly just needs to acquire more talent on the roster. I think both teams were in ideal positions for their respective franchises and then they swapped, making both worse off. It also tells me that the Celtics are  looking to trade all of their draft assets, which I hate unless you are getting Anthony Davis specifically.

This will never happen, but I would love this for both Celtics and Thunder:  3 team trade, Boston gives this year's #3, and either next year's Lakers pick or next year's Brooklyn pick to the Thunder. They give Isiah Thomas to some middle of the pack team (Denver, say).  Denver gives up a useful rotation player to the Celtics plus their 1st round pick, which should be something middle of the first round.  Thunder give Russell Westbrook to the Celtics and get all of the pick.

I think this trade makes sense for everybody involved.  Low risk for the third party. You're middle of the pack, this gives you a chance at an impact player, and you're just losing a rotation player and a mid first round pick. Boston solves the Isiah dilemma, and adds a top 5 player in the league. OKC avoids the two things their headed for now: either losing Russ in free agency after next season for nothing, or keeping Westbrook and winning 50 games and losing in the first or second round every year in the playoffs for the next 5 years.

Hinkie laid the blueprint for how you rebuild a franchise, even if he ultimately had to fall on his sword. Operating under the assumption that the Warriors dynasty has split up in 5 years, no team is better set up for success than the Sixers.

3 hours ago, sperry said:

No way the Sixers are going to be a playoff team next year, unless they go load up on a ton of legit veterans in free agency. 

I don't think it's going to take much to displace one of the lower tier teams in the East. If the Pacers lose George, they drop off the table for sure. Atlanta, Milwaukee and the Bulls are all rather suspect as well. If Fultz is as good as everyone seems to think, I bet they grab one of the lower seeds.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I don't think it's going to take much to displace one of the lower tier teams in the East. If the Pacers lose George, they drop off the table for sure. Atlanta, Milwaukee and the Bulls are all rather suspect as well. If Fultz is as good as everyone seems to think, I bet they grab one of the lower seeds.

If the Sixers make the playoffs starting a lineup of two rookies, two second year players and one random scrub off the scrapheap, then the league has to be completely pissing itself. But, they're keeping their pick, so it's a moot point. They won't be trying to win.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

If the Sixers make the playoffs starting a lineup of two rookies, two second year players and one random scrub off the scrapheap, then the league has to be completely pissing itself. But, they're keeping their pick, so it's a moot point. They won't be trying to win.

If they were in the West, I'd agree with you, but this is the East we're talking about. I agree you have a point about them potentially throwing their season for a juicier pick, they've certainly shown themselves to be fond of that particular strategy. At some point they have to take a shot though. 

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

If they were in the West, I'd agree with you, but this is the East we're talking about. I agree you have a point about them potentially throwing their season for a juicier pick, they've certainly shown themselves to be fond of that particular strategy. At some point they have to take a shot though. 

If they go all out for a playoff spot, Embiid could make an all-NBA team and be eligible for a bigger contract. I think they'll ease Embiid again, ease Simmons, throw Fultz into the fire and let him take his lumps and get another great pick, at which point they can start bringing in vets and start making a run at it.

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

If they go all out for a playoff spot, Embiid could make an all-NBA team and be eligible for a bigger contract. I think they'll ease Embiid again, ease Simmons, throw Fultz into the fire and let him take his lumps and get another great pick, at which point they can start bringing in vets and start making a run at it.

I'm just wondering how long they can pursue that strategy and maintain attendance. If I was part of that fanbase, I'd be pretty damn tired of it at this point.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'm just wondering how long they can pursue that strategy and maintain attendance. If I was part of that fanbase, I'd be pretty damn tired of it at this point.

They haven't maintained attendance in years. The thing is, you don't maintain attendance by being mediocre. I lived in Philly during the Iguodala, Thaddeus Young, Jrue Holiday years when they were like a 7 seed every year. The arena was half-full, you could get prime tickets (center court, 5 rows up) for like $40 dollars.

25 minutes ago, sperry said:

They haven't maintained attendance in years. The thing is, you don't maintain attendance by being mediocre. I lived in Philly during the Iguodala, Thaddeus Young, Jrue Holiday years when they were like a 7 seed every year. The arena was half-full, you could get prime tickets (center court, 5 rows up) for like $40 dollars.

That's not always true. The Warriors maintained near sell-out attendance over almost a decade wherein they never made the playoffs. Anyway, how do they maintain a decent profit margin while pursuing this tanking strategy? Seems like that would catch up with you over the length of time that they've been doing this. 

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's not always true. The Warriors maintained near sell-out attendance over almost a decade wherein they never made the playoffs. Anyway, how do they maintain a decent profit margin while pursuing this tanking strategy? Seems like that would catch up with you over the length of time that they've been doing this. 

Because NBA franchises are insanely profitable and that's not predicated on attendance?  Haven't paid a dollar of luxury over this period.  Even if they were only 2/3 full, so had 6,000 empty seats per game, at $100 per ticket (which is almost assuredly a way too high number) that's only $24 million per year, plus a couple million more in concessions.

32 minutes ago, sperry said:

Because NBA franchises are insanely profitable and that's not predicated on attendance?  Haven't paid a dollar of luxury over this period.  Even if they were only 2/3 full, so had 6,000 empty seats per game, at $100 per ticket (which is almost assuredly a way too high number) that's only $24 million per year, plus a couple million more in concessions.

I guess it's similar to MLB in that having big ticket teams come to town is enough to bolster a small market team that has lousy attendance? I don't know. 

16 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I guess it's similar to MLB in that having big ticket teams come to town is enough to bolster a small market team that has lousy attendance? I don't know. 

TV and media deals.  Revenue sharing is what makes even the shittiest franchise profitable right now. 

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I wasn't sure whether or not the NBA had revenue sharing in place or not.

Yeah, you have to have revenue sharing to do a salary cap.

Archived