NBA Finals: TRILOGY Edition!!!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

2 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Just because you don't like it does not mean it does not make sense.  The network wants finals games in prime time, Thus the finals are scheduled before the playoffs even begin to fit the network schedule and because of that they need to allot enough time for every series to go 7 games..  This year there wasn't a lot of long series hence the break between the conference finals and Thursday.

Sorry, but they can flex the game slots. The time slots on the networks and the actual arena were already booked due to the possibilities of games 6 and 7 in the earlier series. You can bet your mortgage that the times will be flexed going forward.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

The NBA doesn't want Finals games on Friday and Saturday night, as those are the nights people are least inclined to watch them.

Is that really the nights they avoid?  Honest question - I did not know.

Games 3, 4 and 5 are:  3.  Wed. June 7th, 4.  Fri. June 9th, 5.  Mon. June 12th

If they want to avoid Fridays and Saturdays, shouldn't they have gone

3.  Tue. June 6th, 4.  Thu. June 8th, 5.  Sun. June 11th?

As for the long initial gap, perhaps they should have flexed some prior Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays as possible dates in case the earlier series wrapped up early as they did... I think there's a chance they are hurting their brand a bit in terms of long term fan interest.

I keep hearing that the Warriors and Cavs being super-teams is also hurting the NBA brand.  And maybe that's true.  Just strange that when the Lakers and Celtics were rolling their conference foes on the way to the Finals in the 80s, it was all good.

It looks tough for Cleveland fans right now. but now the series is going back to Cleveland for the next two games. We'll see if the can pull it together on a homecourt. I consider Game Three a definite "do or die" game for these Cavs.

On 04/06/2017 at 2:16 AM, sperry said:

Sorry, but they can flex the game slots. The time slots on the networks and the actual arena were already booked due to the possibilities of games 6 and 7 in the earlier series. You can bet your mortgage that the times will be flexed going forward.

Game 6 and 7 of the conference series would have been on ESPN and TNT, not on ABC which shows the Finals.

The times won't be flexed because ABC want them to be set before the playoffs have started and have paid big bucks for this right.

The Cavs better hope that home cooking is what they need, because they look completely overmatched thus far.  The Warriors are blowing them out and they aren't even playing that well. 

Irving has got to be better.  He was terrible in game 2.  Tristan Thompson has got to make an impact, he's been a ghost out there.  And the role players like JR, Schump, Korver, Williams and Frye have to execute.  If those five guys can't give at least 20-25 points, it is hard to imagine them winning.

And Lue has to make some adjustments in terms of pace.  I don't know why the Cavs keep trying to run with the Warriors.  GSW is faster, more athletic and deeper.  Lebron was gassed in the second half of game 2, because nobody else was making things happen.  Lebron is at his best when he's helping other people score early on.  Get the other guys going, slow the game down, and maybe the home crowd will be enough.

I predicted Warriors in 5, and this is the game I expect Cleveland will win.  They'll be desperate and the role players probably show up.  I hope so anyway, if this is a sweep I am going to be pissed. 

Yeah, the J.R./Thompson thing is the difference in this series. Those guys not showing up means the Warriors have no shot. It also doesn't help that Kyrie was mediocre in game 1 and flat out bad in game 2.  The Cavs just don't have the room for error for their guys to play poorly.

And Curry is cracking me up. Dude played like a flat out idiot again in the first half of the game, and basically singlehandedly kept the Cavs in the game.  Honestly surprised that Draymond hasn't strangled him out there.

27 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It may be two or three years before the Celtics can realistically unseat the Cavs, but Jesus, what's the path to compete with the Warriors as long as Durant and Curry are together?

Some point soon the salary cap is going to catch up with the Warriors.  Having two top 5 guys and two more top 20ish guys is just ridiculous.  Not to mention very effective role players like Iggy, Livingston, Zaza, etc. 

If the Warriors have to let Green or Thompson walk (and I think they will eventually), then they become merely great rather than completely ridiculous.  Until then, the only thing that could possibly stop this team is injury.  Hell, the Spurs were the third (second?) best team in the league, and even if they add Chris Paul this offseason, they're still badly overmatched. 

52 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Some point soon the salary cap is going to catch up with the Warriors.  Having two top 5 guys and two more top 20ish guys is just ridiculous.  Not to mention very effective role players like Iggy, Livingston, Zaza, etc. 

If the Warriors have to let Green or Thompson walk (and I think they will eventually), then they become merely great rather than completely ridiculous.  Until then, the only thing that could possibly stop this team is injury.  Hell, the Spurs were the third (second?) best team in the league, and even if they add Chris Paul this offseason, they're still badly overmatched. 

Klay will walk or be traded at some point, but not Green.He's the team captain and he allows them to play the way that they do. 

They can keep this group together for a long time. I think in this off season, Durant will take less than the max, allowing Curry to max out. Iguodala will sign for veteran minimum (or whatever he needs to take to make the cap stuff work), and they'll let Livingston walk.  Thompson is locked up for two years, Green for three.

THey can't keep all 4 of those guys, but they don't need to. I always talked about the diminishing marginal returns of adding Durant, and that's still true. Thompsons shots just go to Durant and Curry, as well as 6-8 for Ian Clark or whoever they plug into the lineup. The only thing I can see breaking the team up besides catastrophic injury is Durant deciding to go to Washington after a couple years or Curry deciding to go to Charlotte. I think the Durant one is the most likely, as his next challenge will be to prove that he can win "on his own." Because while he's going to get the rings in Golden State, he's not going to get the adoration or respect that he so desperately craves.

27 minutes ago, sperry said:

THey can't keep all 4 of those guys, but they don't need to. I always talked about the diminishing marginal returns of adding Durant, and that's still true. Thompsons shots just go to Durant and Curry, as well as 6-8 for Ian Clark or whoever they plug into the lineup. The only thing I can see breaking the team up besides catastrophic injury is Durant deciding to go to Washington after a couple years or Curry deciding to go to Charlotte. I think the Durant one is the most likely, as his next challenge will be to prove that he can win "on his own." Because while he's going to get the rings in Golden State, he's not going to get the adoration or respect that he so desperately craves.

I do not think Durant is interested in returning to Washington.  Everything I've read says that he considers that part of his life finished, and he doesn't want to go back.  I think that inevitably the Warriors will get less and less deep with each year, as guys get a chance to shine and collect paychecks elsewhere.  But their depth is only a small part of what makes them so scary.  If the Warriors have to make do with replacement level guys on the bench, they'll still be prohibitive favorites in the playoffs.  That will be true until their Big 4 breaks up. 

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

It may be two or three years before the Celtics can realistically unseat the Cavs, but Jesus, what's the path to compete with the Warriors as long as Durant and Curry are together?

There are some rumors now that Paul George is interested in going to Cleveland.  No idea how that would work, but I read it from a quality source who I know for a fact has some connections.  I know all indications were that he was bound for the Lakers, but seeing this Golden State team easily running through the West and having been on the wrong side of the same thing in the East for the entirety of his career with the Heat/Cavs may have changed his mind.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I do not think Durant is interested in returning to Washington.  Everything I've read says that he considers that part of his life finished, and he doesn't want to go back.  I think that inevitably the Warriors will get less and less deep with each year, as guys get a chance to shine and collect paychecks elsewhere.  But their depth is only a small part of what makes them so scary.  If the Warriors have to make do with replacement level guys on the bench, they'll still be prohibitive favorites in the playoffs.  That will be true until their Big 4 breaks up. 

Maybe it's not Washington. Hell, maybe it's back to OKC.  But I think that once Durant has a few rings in GS he will try to go win some not on a super team, because there is zero doubt he hears the criticism and it bothers him.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

There are some rumors now that Paul George is interested in going to Cleveland.  No idea how that would work, but I read it from a quality source who I know for a fact has some connections.  I know all indications were that he was bound for the Lakers, but seeing this Golden State team easily running through the West and having been on the wrong side of the same thing in the East for the entirety of his career with the Heat/Cavs may have changed his mind.

Another scenario I've heard is that Paul goes to Cleveland and Kyrie gets traded for the best SG he can net. 

Archived