House of Cards - season 5

The Monkey

The fifth season of House of Cards was released on Netflix one or two days ago. Is anyone here still watching the show?

I'm on episode eight atm. In my opinion it remains entertaining during the binge, although I doubt it has much rewatch value afterwards (nor do any of the previous seasons).

People have speculated how difficult it will be to sell the premise of the show considering the madness that's going on atm at the real White House. I believe they still manage to produce somewhat interesting storylines despite sometimes being out-shined by reality. 

What do you think?

Haven't started on the new season yet, but over the past few months I've been re-watching The West Wing and it seems to me that these shows are two sides of the same coin, West Wing the good universe, HOC the evil universe. We're the Bizarro Universe, of course.

I'm watching it currently. On episode 5 and so far I'm pretty unimpressed, there's only so much they can do at this point that I've found it to be kinda predictable. There's still 8 episodes to go, so I'll see if the remainder of them change my view. 

:blink::stunned:

the final stretch of this season is insane. I need time to process it properly and decide whether I loved or hated it but I encourage people to keep watching if they are struggling because it's worth watching those final few episodes for the drama and tension alone.

I'm 2 and 1/2 episodes into it.  It's shockingly difficult for me to keep watching.  It's insanity isn't entertaining, it's terrifying and depressing, iow, it's like the world in which we live in now. Everyone in the show is deranged, whether or not the characters began that way, their knuckling under first to Frank, and then his various surrogates, have driven them all into the derangement that perpetual corruption and lying in the pursuit of power drives people.  Not entertaining at all.  It's not even warning theater, in the sense if this goes on this is the result -- it's just -- hideous.

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

the final stretch of this season is insane. I need time to process it properly and decide whether I loved or hated it but I encourage people to keep watching if they are struggling because it's worth watching those final few episodes for the drama and tension alone.

What episode constitutes the start of the final stretch? I'm starting episode 9 now and so far I've been very underwhelmed. 

8 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Watched the first 5 episodes. Entertaining, and considering the reality of our existence, I don't care what ridiculous stuff they pull. It's all plausible. :P

I disagree, the past few seasons seemed at least somewhat grounded in reality, but now they just seem to be trying to one up Trump which leads to implausible ends. 

11 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

What episode constitutes the start of the final stretch? I'm starting episode 9 now and so far I've been very underwhelmed. 

I disagree, the past few seasons seemed at least somewhat grounded in reality, but now they just seem to be trying to one up Trump which leads to implausible ends. 

I think the final three. I binge watched though so it's all a bit blurred. 

A lot of the stuff is frighteningly plausible, actually. I never would have thought so before Trump's presidency but now so much is just a hairs breadth from the kind of shit the Trump administration is doing. There are still some more out there plots, as there always have been. But otherwise fairly believable. 

Land I think you should also keep in mind a lot of stuff probably predates trumps presidency in terms of when it was written. Overall plot anyway. Clearly certain lines were added in though ("Tell him he's "on notice"")

One thing I found tragic (spoilers for sometime towards the end. I think Chapter 62/63?) 

was the sarin gas thing in Syria. I'm almost certain this has to have been filmed before that happened so it's pretty chilling and tragic that it's there

I just finished Episode 7.

Like many before have said, what is implausible now? What is just ludicrous fiction in politics at this moment? When our reality is like Dali painting, are we even allowed to complain about TV show not being "real" enough?

For me, the true champion of this TV show is the cast, led by amazing Robin Wright and Kevin Spacey. His breaking of the 5th wall remains interesting and entertaining and when he, at one moment, asked "Who's your Daddy?" I couldn't stop laughing. On the other hand, there is something so intense about Claire. She continues to impress me and I really would like to see this role being awarded. It's such amazing period for women on TV and the period of last 4/5 years have certainly raised the bar so far. Wright remains on top of her game, while many leading ladies like Danes, Margulies, Dockery, Davis, Washington in one or another way loss their touch. But with the surge of the new blood, it is interesting to see whether Wright can survive the test of time and remain relevant. She is certainly one of my favorite leading ladies on TV right now. 

What makes this even more chilling, is that though these people are insane, they appear far more competent and rational than what's running the show now.

Perhaps the most terrifyingly authentic aspect of House of Cards is how far the advisers, councillors, handlers, etc. will go to keep these deranged people in power in order to keep their own positions.  I have to think about all those like them in history, particularly during the Renaissance.  

I also consider the positive aspects of our Constitution and system of elections. Among other objectives they were specifically devised to keep out of office people who were mad as King George was mad, to keep our nation from getting entangled in wars and other damaging situations that 'the people' neither wanted or had a say in going ahead -- and yet had to pay for them, in every way from horrible tax burdens, to loss of life and income.  Yet -- here we are.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

What makes this even more chilling, is that though these people are insane, they appear far more competent and rational than what's running the show now.

Having a deranged sociopath pulling all the strings here in Serbia too, I do sympathize.

Just one thought, has someone noticed the use of "these United States"? Is there any meaning to it? Any reason? I don't recall "these" being used instead of "the" in previous seasons.

On 6/1/2017 at 11:21 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Good to know.... we're on ep 6... I was going to stick with it anyway, but if there's a payoff, all the better...

3 hours ago, Risto said:

I just finished Episode 7.

Like many before have said, what is implausible now? What is just ludicrous fiction in politics at this moment? When our reality is like Dali painting, are we even allowed to complain about TV show not being "real" enough?

For me, the true champion of this TV show is the cast, led by amazing Robin Wright and Kevin Spacey. His breaking of the 5th wall remains interesting and entertaining and when he, at one moment, asked "Who's your Daddy?" I couldn't stop laughing. On the other hand, there is something so intense about Claire. She continues to impress me and I really would like to see this role being awarded. It's such amazing period for women on TV and the period of last 4/5 years have certainly raised the bar so far. Wright remains on top of her game, while many leading ladies like Danes, Margulies, Dockery, Davis, Washington in one or another way loss their touch. But with the surge of the new blood, it is interesting to see whether Wright can survive the test of time and remain relevant. She is certainly one of my favorite leading ladies on TV right now. 

I too think Robin Wright/Claire Underwood is one of the best parts of the show (for me she edges out Kevin Spacey/Francis Underwood ever so slightly - I find her acting more compelling and the character more layered). Imo Season 5 was very much Claire's season; which makes this all the more frustrating. 

Spoiler-y stuff for the whole season

I liked the Underwood v Conway stuff from the beginning of the season. It was an interesting dynamic, and really good introduction to some new players like Romero and Usher (who are quite clearly interested primarily in power, with little care which party it comes from). 

was unsure how I felt about all the character deaths in the last few episodes and how it seemed overly reckless of Frank and Claire. But now I feel like last few episodes make a lot of sense; that is, taking out a lot of loose threads that endanger Francis and Claire. They'd created such a web of secret and lies that they really had to clear so,e of the pieces from the board.

Frank pushing Cathy down the stairs was probably the most shocking and unexpected because of how high profile her character is. Don't actually think she died, since she was said to be recovering during Director Green's testimony and they never mentioned that she had died after that. I would guess she'll make a comeback next season. If Claire refuses to pardon Francis it could be that Cathy works with Claire and Davis to solidify Claire's position and have Francis incarcerated.

LeAnn's death saddened me the most. I'd grown to actually like the character and felt pretty sorry for her - she had clearly gone in way over her depth, beyond what she had expected. Curious as to how Doug will react to her death. If Francis spins it as Claire being responsible I could see Doug working to bring her down - there is clearly little loyalty there. Doug is loyal mostly to Francis. And if Claire continues to refuse to pardon Francis well...a war between the two of them would be very interesting to say the least.

While LeAnn's death was most upsetting, Tom's death was a) the most satisfying and B) the most shocking. Most satisfying because damn he was an odious irritating shit who annoyed me every time he was on camera. Can't even explain why just...ugh. I guess his death makes sense in a way. He's Claire's Zoe Barnes, and he knew too much. But...wow. Claire's method of killing was disturbing to say the least. Not sure about her decision to trust Usher though. Very presumptuous.

I found the new character of Davis very confusing. I don't really understand who she is, or what motivates her, or who she is even aligning herself with. Obviously she represents business interests but there is clearly more to her than meets the eye. And the whole thing with the scientist on the Russian vessel was incredibly confusing and was just dropped with no explanation. Frustrating.

Kept hoping to see Jackie and Remy show up. Though I guess Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali is quite a big price tag these days just for a brief appearance.

Claire breaking the fourth wall was awesome. I broke out in a huge smile and started gesturing wildly at the screen when she did that. I'm such a sap.

I love the idea of Claire as president. As I said I find her a much more interesting character than Francis, who, while interesting, is less layered.

Speaking of Francis, the whole interlude with Eric seemed bizarre and out of place. Not that I have any narrative issue with Frank being bi, but Eric's character served absolutely no purpose and was unceremoniously killed off in the finale because reasons. :dunno: 

Claire breaking the wall announces to us that she is now a fully fledged participating player.

Spoiler

Killing Yates confirms her membership in the club of power.  Like all the rest she too now has personally committed murder.

However, this is deeply disturbing as the Clintons -- particularly Hillary -- were and still are accused by the deranged of committing murder, personally (as well as running pedophile sex rings and everything else). While those who have actually committed these crimes (to one degree of separation or another, and some cases when it comes to pedophilia no separation at all) are actually in the White House,  Whatever arguments and disgusts I harbor for Hillary and her husband I have never once thought either of them killed anyone and I know certainly Hillary has never run a pedophilia sex ring).  Making the Underwoods Dems was an awful decision -- not to mention that he would never have been elected over and over again as a Dem from SC.

Archived