Watch some TV/Movies and talk about it here.

Ramsay B.

Band of Brothers was on all day Monday so I had to watch a bunch of them. It never gets old.

I figured I'd be done with Gomorrah s2 by now but episode 9 where I was watching it had no subtitles so I had to wait until Sundance caught up. Easily the best show of the year so far for me.

14 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Band of Brothers was on all day Monday so I had to watch a bunch of them. It never gets old.

I figured I'd be done with Gomorrah s2 by now but episode 9 where I was watching it had no subtitles so I had to wait until Sundance caught up. Easily the best show of the year so far for me.

I saw a boxed set of The Pacific in the store the other day. I would have purchased it were it not constantly available on HBO Go.

I have to agree with your opinion of Gomorrah. My top 5 shows usually float around in no particular order, but Gomorrah is consistently excellent. It is the one show, other than possibly The Leftovers, that doesn't take an episode off.

45 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yeah, of all the shows I've watched in the last year or so.. Gomorrah is probably my favorite followed by Westworld. It's tough comparing them because they feel so apples and oranges but Gomorrah just had a far more adrenaline rush of an experience in the end for me. The marathon ability helped a lot too. And this season of Fargo and Better Call Saul haven't lived up to my lofty expectations though they're not bad. I just cannot wait for Season 3 to come out... I'll probably pay for a streaming service just so I can watch it in real-time.

Making my way through Bloodline Season 3 now. Needs more Ben Mendelsohn.

ETA: I never posted this about Gomorrah but during the first half of Season 1, I tried to play a game where I matched the characters with ASOIAF characters.

Pietro was Tywin Lannister (and possibly the best on-screen Tywin Lannister since Edward Longshanks). Imma was Cersei. Genny was Tommen. His girlfriend was Margaery. Ciro was Tyrion.. there were others but I don't recall now. Then things went to shit in the second half of the season and I couldn't match them up anymore.

4 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah, of all the shows I've watched in the last year or so.. Gomorrah is probably my favorite followed by Westworld. It's tough comparing them because they feel so apples and oranges but Gomorrah just had a far more adrenaline rush of an experience in the end for me. The marathon ability helped a lot too. And this season of Fargo and Better Call Saul haven't lived up to my lofty expectations though they're not bad. I just cannot wait for Season 3 to come out... I'll probably pay for a streaming service just so I can watch it in real-time.

Making my way through Bloodline Season 3 now. Needs more Ben Mendelsohn.

Agree on all fronts. We like the exact same stuff. Westworld was brilliant but it is hard to compare it with such a gritty, crime drama. I watched the 1st episode of Bloodline basically for Mendelsohn and didn't go back for whatever reason. I may have to rethink that...and possibly go back to The Leftovers seeing all the love it gets here.

Also, Genny sure spit on your Tommen comparison :P

I watched Fast & Furious 8. I didn't like it. Aside form the Paul Walker tribute I didn't like part 7 that much either and part 8 just continued to build on what I didn't like about that one. These aren't big, dumb fun any more they're just big and dumb. The plot is complete nonsense and all the characters have been reduced to only one character trait. Plus I think I might be over The Rock, because he was really fucking boring in this one.

Spoiler

Some additional points.

I know the timeline of these movies are a bit wonky, but the stuff with the child kinda confuses me. It feels like that kid might be too young to be Dom's kid, especially since would have been conceived some time before F&F6, there is two movies between 6 & 8 and Elena wasn't showing in F&F7. Or maybe I'm just overthinking this.

As much as I like Jason Statham and as awesome as he is, it still feel wrong to have him as one of the good guys and to gine him some sort of redemption story. These characters go on and on about Family and this guy killed a member of their Family, but somehow they end up being totally cool with him? Fuck that. #Justice4Han

Doing the Spectre thing and tying the plot of the previous movies to your new villain is very stupid and feels like a mistake. 

All the characters are just way too invincible now. Dom goes full Seagal and is barely touched in the action scenes. Seriously, Kristofer Hivju doesn't even land one punch during their entire fight. Plus Dom is presented as way too smart for a guy who couldn't even hijack a truck full of DVD-players.

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

I've been trying to get into the second season of The Last Kingdom but keep getting hung up on how terrible the lead is.

What episode are you on? I felt the same but warmed to him in episode 3 and now think he is great for the role

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

What episode are you on? I felt the same but warmed to him in episode 3 and now think he is great for the role

I made it about 15 minutes into the second episode. I like most other aspects of the show, but he was a miscast. Poor actor and lacks any sort of charisma that would lead me to believe others would follow him. It wouldn't be much of an issue were it not the lead who is on screen for majority of each episode. I had the same issue last season, but enjoyed the series in spite of the lead. I just seem to be having more of an issue with him now.

On 5/31/2017 at 4:17 PM, Astromech said:

I saw a boxed set of The Pacific in the store the other day. I would have purchased it were it not constantly available on HBO Go.

I watched this recently for the first time during flights for business travel.  It's available free with Amazon Prime for streaming or download.  As is Band of Brothers.  

I enjoyed it a lot.  It lacked the continuity in characters of BoB but still an excellently told tale. 

Since finishing, I've started S1 of Dexter, also for the first time, as my new iPad download for flights.  Very good so far and not as gruesome as feared. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I watched this recently for the first time during flights for business travel.  It's available free with Amazon Prime for streaming or download.  As is Band of Brothers.  

I enjoyed it a lot.  It lacked the continuity in characters of BoB but still an excellently told tale. 

Since finishing, I've started S1 of Dexter, also for the first time, as my new iPad download for flights.  Very good so far and not as gruesome as feared. 

Both were excellent, but I preferred the camaraderie of Easy Company in Band of Brothers. Spielberg had a project in the works for HBO on the Eighth Air Force in WWII, the Mighty Eighth,  but I haven't heard any recent news about it.

7 hours ago, Astromech said:

I made it about 15 minutes into the second episode. I like most other aspects of the show, but he was a miscast. Poor actor and lacks any sort of charisma that would lead me to believe others would follow him. It wouldn't be much of an issue were it not the lead who is on screen for majority of each episode. I had the same issue last season, but enjoyed the series in spite of the lead. I just seem to be having more of an issue with him now.

I certainly get that. Like I said, I felt he was a miscast too, though I thought he did a great job with episode 3. After that, while his performance is never outstanding I do think he is good enough for the role, particularly because of the chemistry he has with his co-stars. And the back half of Season 2 was stronger narratively, imo, in addition to having great antagonists.

I watched Seven yesterday (or I guess it's Se7en) for the first time since in probably 14-15 years. I had almost forgotten how gruesome it is. I still like and It is a very good movie. Although it does go a bit hard on the evil-genius-supervillain trope for the antagonist. And the ending isn't as strong as the rest of the movie.. 

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I certainly get that. Like I said, I felt he was a miscast too, though I thought he did a great job with episode 3. After that, while his performance is never outstanding I do think he is good enough for the role, particularly because of the chemistry he has with his co-stars. And the back half of Season 2 was stronger narratively, imo, in addition to having great antagonists.

I'll push through it. I enjoy most aspects of the show, but the lead is my main criticism.

I  have been having trouble finding a series to binge on Netflix recently. I was excited for Iron Fist until I read all of the negative opinions of it. Maybe I'll just binge some of the finished series I never watched when they were current like Mad Men.

I finished Season 3 of Bloodline. I was one of those people that enjoyed Season 2 and didn't find it to be a letdown compared to Season 1.

I may try to rewatch the S3 finale again just to see if I had too much wine (don't think so) but this season... ... ... ..

WTF did I just watch? The last couple of episodes felt like the writers from John from Cincinnati and Dexter got together and decided to one up each other on how bad they could tank a season. Seriously wtf were they thinking? They didn't explain anything at the end; whole character arcs and plot lines went missing and unanswered and the overall experience was a deeply unsatisfying one. The incoherence of it is stunning compared to the story told in the first Season. The last scene made the series finale feel like a midseason episode that got cut short -- except you can't jump into the next episode for the 15 more minutes you needed to finish that scene. Very disappointing.  

My oh my do I enjoy every minute of John Wick Chapter 2.  After seeing it a second time (I had a blast at the theater as well), I like its pure, distilled action even more than the first. Best pure action movie since Fury Road.  I could watch it again a night later.

Caught Logan this week as well. Damn good movie to be sure, but man was it intense. Some good spots of levity, and some very dusty moments, and a few really brutal and gritty action scenes. I felt like I'd just gone on a tough run once it was finally over. Reminded me a bit of Children of Men in its pacing and bleak attitude. 

Showed Pete's Dragon to some friends. I love a good kids movie, and that one is nice and charming. Giving Elliot a doglike charm was perfect.

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Season 3 of Fargo finally started over here earlier this week, so watched the first episode of that. Really enjoyed it, hope it keeps going strong (I got a bit bored by season 2)

What kind of monster are you? :P But season 3 has been moving at a much slower pace than season 2 so hopefully this one doesn't bore you too. 

I watched Confessions of a Dangerous Mind for the first time in a while the other day. Love that movie and Sam Rockwell is awesome, but I haven't seen him in anything good since Seven Psychopaths. Although he is in the upcoming Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri so there is hope. 

Archived