Watch some TV/Movies and talk about it here.

Ramsay B.

13 hours ago, Isis said:

I've just started watching Mad Men but it's so gross and creepy I'm really not sure how much longer I'll be able to persevere with it. 

Wait, what, the tv show Mad Men? Creepy and gross??

12 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched The Proposition yesterday again and it's such a good movie. It is brutal as hell but definitely one of my favorite westerns. Huston, Winstone and Pearce are all brilliant and the score is just perfect for it. On a related note has anyone ever seen Nick Cave's 20,000 Days on Earth? It always intrigued me but I never watched it.

Reminder to re-watch Proposition, it's been many years.

14 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Wait, what, the tv show Mad Men? Creepy and gross??

Yes, I'm not really in the mood for that level of misogyny. It's just unpleasant.

The Young Pope -- co UK-Italian television tv production, shown here on HBO, now available on dvd from netflix, which is how I'm watching.  Only 3 episodes into the 10.  It is -- strange, but rather compelling.  Don't ask me why but I've also been reading a history of the Latin Church's popes these last weeks, so I'm probably just weird.  The Young Pope resonates -- so far -- with all sorts of current political and religious conditions, but then, these days, everything does.  

7 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Jace has a lot more time on her hands, what with having become a spinster and all. That time is currently being filled with Star Trek TNG.

Don't spinsters fill their free time with cats?

Most of my Spring viewing is either wrapping up quickly or has just recently(Gomorra, Fargo, American Gods, The Leftovers) so I've just been watching some offerings on Netflix, mainly It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Wentworth. The Netflix Originals haven't really interested me lately.

15 hours ago, Astromech said:

Don't spinsters fill their free time with cats?

Most of my Spring viewing is either wrapping up quickly or has just recently(Gomorra, Fargo, American Gods, The Leftovers) so I've just been watching some offerings on Netflix, mainly It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Wentworth. The Netflix Originals haven't really interested me lately.

Speaking of Gomorrah, has anyone here watched the movie or read the book? The show is pretty much my favorite thing I'm watching atm. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Speaking of Gomorrah, has anyone here watched the movie or read the book? The show is pretty much my favorite thing I'm watching atm. 

A book you say? Hmmmm. I will watch the movie eventually. I've also been stalling with the last 2 episodes of season 2 because I don't want it to end. 

This June feels like one of the quietest summer seasons for a while regarding tv. It's good as it gives me a chance to catch up on a lot of shows although UK politics has been taking up most of my TV viewing of late.

Dr Who has been refreshingly good this series even with "power of love" rearing its head again. Also catching up on Twin Peaks, which still freaks me out and then working my way through the current season of Americans which is still that show I really don't appreciate enough.

Probably a mixture of the news and being busy but finding a lot of other shows hard to get excited about this year eg American Gods and Archer.

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Never read the book, but I liked the film. It's quite similar to the structure of individual episodes of Gomorra in which the Camorra's influence on everyday residents of Naples is depicted. It loosely follows a young adolescent in Naples being caught up in crime.

25 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Never read the book, but I liked the film. It's quite similar to the structure of individual episodes of Gomorra in which the Camorra's influence on everyday residents of Naples is depicted. It loosely follows a young adolescent in Naples being caught up in crime.

Nice. It's on Amazon Prime, I might try to watch it this weekend. 

Binged through the new season of Orange is the New Black, finished Downton Abbey, started The Crown, halfway through the second season of Justified, and rewatching Legend of Korra. Busy times.

12 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I saw the movie and thought it was good, even if a little hard to connect to. Haven't seen the show yet but I think you'll like it too.

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The movie is on Netflix (US) as well. It's very different from the series. It's slower and has a Crash-style film structure where you follow 5 (?) random people whose lives are affected by and loosely connected to the Naples mob. Some parts of it reminded me of the Italy scenes in the Godfather. It's not the Machiavellian mob war of the show (but that doesn't take away from it).

Watched Jupiter Ascending, wanted to see if it was as car crash was reported. I'm not sure if I'd say it was dreadful but it was certainly very misjudged.

it was as if a Hollywood exec, off his face on coke , had asked his 10 year old son to write a story full of cool shit. And then he made it.

Eddie Redmayne got a lot of flack for his performance, but for me he was the only entertaining thing in it. He seemed to get how ludicrous it all was. Everyone else was phoning it in

I've been watching The Strain. It's entertaining enough but it's also an incredibly frustrating show to watch. Most of the characters is kinda unlikeable and they constantly take the stupidest decisions they could and make dumb mistakes. And the show is filled with badly thought out plots that never go anywhere remotely satisfying and end up feeling like a waste of time. Plus the show has the worst kid in TV history.  But I still liked it enough to binge three seasons, so it must do something for me.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

I've been watching The Strain. It's entertaining enough but it's also an incredibly frustrating show to watch. Most of the characters is kinda unlikeable and they constantly take the stupidest decisions they could and make dumb mistakes. And the show is filled with badly thought out plots that never go anywhere remotely satisfying and end up feeling like a waste of time. Plus the show has the worst kid in TV history.  But I still liked it enough to binge three seasons, so it must do something for me.

In short, it's a pretty bad show. And for once, the child character really is awful. (Fans tend to hate child characters in general and in most cases it's undeserved and pretty disturbing, but in this case it's not.) His behavior would be understandable if he were 3, not 12 or 10 or I don't know how old he's supposed to be. I watched the first 2 seasons, but I don't have a particular wish to continue, especially with how they ended season 2.

28 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

In short, it's a pretty bad show. And for once, the child character really is awful. (Fans tend to hate child characters in general and in most cases it's undeserved and pretty disturbing, but in this case it's not.) His behavior would be understandable if he were 3, not 12 or 10 or I don't know how old he's supposed to be. I watched the first 2 seasons, but I don't have a particular wish to continue, especially with how they ended season 2.

Oh trust me, that little fucker gets way way worse in season three.

Watched Hell Or High Water. I thought it was good, there's some really great cinematography, a good soundtrack and I thought Foster, Pine and Bridges all put in good performances. In some ways it does feel like a story that has been told a lot before with small variations, but I think it was well told.

Watched Exodus Gods and Kings last night. I expected it to be awful but it actually wasn't that bad. It didn't even feel like it was 2.5 hrs long. Perhaps this is the way to approach all Ridley Scott films? Go in expecting them to be terrible? 

Archived