Watch some TV/Movies and talk about it here.

Ramsay B.

1 minute ago, Isis said:

Watched Exodus Gods and Kings last night. I expected it to be awful but it actually wasn't that bad. It didn't even feel like it was 2.5 hrs long. Perhaps this is the way to approach all Ridley Scott films? Go in expecting them to be terrible? 

This is from your previous post, but I'd try and stick with Mad Men for just a little bit more ( if you can) - it's my favorite TV show. How far into the first season did you get?

16 hours ago, williamjm said:

Watched Hell Or High Water. I thought it was good, there's some really great cinematography, a good soundtrack and I thought Foster, Pine and Bridges all put in good performances. In some ways it does feel like a story that has been told a lot before with small variations, but I think it was well told.

I bought the dvd and watched it last night. Thought it was excellent, especially the performances. It really captured time and place quite well.

I loved the soundtrack as well. I really wish films and soundtracks were bundled together. It would convince me to purchase more films.

9 hours ago, Raja said:

This is from your previous post, but I'd try and stick with Mad Men for just a little bit more ( if you can) - it's my favorite TV show. How far into the first season did you get?

I watched three eps. I'll probably do some more. I just found it unremittingly bleak. I know some people have said similar things about The Sopranos, but I found that had some humour as well as characters who were at least partly sympathetic. 

1 hour ago, Isis said:

I watched three eps. I'll probably do some more. I just found it unremittingly bleak. I know some people have said similar things about The Sopranos, but I found that had some humour as well as characters who were at least partly sympathetic. 

Yeah I hated the Mad Men pilot. Took me a while to get into but its pretty good. Not really something I like binging though as you said none of the characters are very likable and there is very little humor (aside from Roger Sterling).

I watched the first season of TNT's Animal Kingdom on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed it well enough to pass the time. I got strong vibes of The Shield in that I wouldn't be very surprised if someone told me both shows took place in the same universe.  I do grow weary of the dumb criminal as comic relief trope but this was not near as prevalent as in other shows like Justified. I generally liked all of the characters but I think Ellen Barkin's "Smurf" and Shawn Hatosy's "Pope" stood out the most in a creepy and sinister way. I find myself really curious what Kath Pettingill (real life Smurf) is like in real life.. and though she'd probably be harmless, I'd be scared to actually meet her.

Now I just need to watch the movie.

6 hours ago, Isis said:

but I found that had some humour as well as characters who were at least partly sympathetic. 

I think the show does some excellent stuff with some of it's characters, but I can understand if you find it a bit bleak. I think the show certainly is that, but imo, there's plenty of humour in that show ( maybe verging on gallows humour), especially in the early seasons. It certainly *can* be bleak though, that doesn't change throughout the seasons, but that sort of TV is right up my alley.

9 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Is anyone watching Genius on NatGeo????.... its about the life of Albert Einstein... its a good watch...

I saw the last episode yesterday. It was really good. Now I have to check out when they will repeat the series so I could see it from the beginning.

13 hours ago, Isis said:

Mad Men is a good show, but I just never could get into it, for some reason. (And The Sopranos is one of my favourite shows. The Americans, too, so it's not like I'm not into character based drama that is not super actiony.) I don't know why. The last season I saw was season 2. I never disliked the show, but I just never felt any overwhelming urge to see the next episode.

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

Mad Men is a good show, but I just never could get into it, for some reason. (And The Sopranos is one of my favourite shows. The Americans, too, so it's not like I'm not into character based drama that is not super actiony.) I don't know why. The last season I saw was season 2. I never disliked the show, but I just never felt any overwhelming urge to see the next episode.

Mad Men is a great show, but at the same time it doesn't really have much of that 'binge watch' quality, it hardly makes you cry out for the next episode. Thats probably to do with its storyline which meanders along and doesn't have much in the way of mystery or plot development. 

Having said that, I felt the same way about Sopranos too.

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Yeah, this is kind of how I feel about it. Like I can take it or leave it. I'm just waiting for something more than just 'background stuff' to happen. At this point it feels almost like a film that has dragged on for too long. I am not really into just watching a show because it looks cool.

I will most likely finish the season - depending how long it is, if it's super long then maybe I won't.

I flew through Season 1 of Mad Men but have got stuck towards the end of season 2. I'll get back to it as many say 3 and 4 are the strongest seasons.

For me the issue is the show is often more "Desperate Housewives" than "Sopranos". I need to see more evidence of backstabbing and ruthless ploys to reach the top for it to have more of a bite to it. They had this in season 1 with the annoying kid from Angel constantly trying to rise to the top.

Another reason I slowed down on my watching of the show is that a lot of the novelty of life in the 60s (sexism, smoking etc) wears off after a season. It's still there but it feels more like "look at this" rather than using it for any dramatic effect. It's got 7 seasons so I guess there is ample opportunities to use these elements further.

My favourite thing about the show is that it feels like this is the era that created the consumerism we're now entrenched in. Love the episodes where they are essentially find ways to sell things to people that they don't need. It's not that these advertisers had an evil masterplan other than getting well paid but the knock on effects of creating the consumer society are an indirect consequence of these people.

As for what I am currently watching it's somewhat different to Mad Men. Season 2 of attack on titan. Like some crazy fast paced hybrid of lost, walking dead and Kaiju shows. Great fun.

14 hours ago, red snow said:

". I need to see more evidence of backstabbing and ruthless ploys to reach the top for it to have more of a bite to it.

Yeah, this is not what Mad Men is about ( arguably, you'll still find a lot of that in a couple of seasons ). The office stuff is my favorite part of the show, but I don't think it goes up to that level (or is even trying to, tbh) To me, Mad Men has *always* been a show about it's characters and less about the cutthroat nature of Madison Avenue. None of the seasons are too long either, I think it's about 11-12 episodes? I'm curious to see what Isis thinks of the show at the end of the first season.

It also has one of the best performances by Jarrod Harris!!

I'd totally participate in a rewatch thread, if someone wants to make it! ( I regret not coming to the board in time for S1-S4)

Edit: I do totally get if people think the show meanders and is slow, that's a valid criticism, but I think I got to a point with the show that I just enjoyed being with the characters that it didn't really matter where the plot went ( which is basically where I am with the GOT books too)

11 hours ago, Raja said:

Yeah, this is not what Mad Men is about ( arguably, you'll still find a lot of that in a couple of seasons ). The office stuff is my favorite part of the show, but I don't think it goes up to that level (or is even trying to, tbh) To me, Mad Men has *always* been a show about it's characters and less about the cutthroat nature of Madison Avenue. None of the seasons are too long either, I think it's about 11-12 episodes? I'm curious to see what Isis thinks of the show at the end of the first season.

It also has one of the best performances by Jarrod Harris!!

I'd totally participate in a rewatch thread, if someone wants to make it! ( I regret not coming to the board in time for S1-S4)

Edit: I do totally get if people think the show meanders and is slow, that's a valid criticism, but I think I got to a point with the show that I just enjoyed being with the characters that it didn't really matter where the plot went ( which is basically where I am with the GOT books too)

"GOT books"? <_<

There are "GOT books"? Someone made a novelization of D&D's scripts? Or are those books about the making of GoT? <_<

^^ Good thing you didn't mention it in Asoiaf General subforum... 

I watched Get Out (2017). It reminded me the movie Skeleton Key (2005). I get it's meant to be a sort of satire, but I liked better Skeleton Key. 

In the past two days we watched this great documentary in three parts called Sound of Cinema. It was on the BBC originally I think, so it may be available on iplayer? But I stumbled across it while channel surfing, it is available on demand if you have Sky. It is about the history of sound in films, so mostly about soundtracks but also about sound effects (and sometimes they are one and the same thing). I love soundtracks so this was fascinating for me and I learned lots of things I didn't know. It covers composers who work with the same directors again and again, which lets you see which direction both parties want to go in. It also showed how sound made some films possible that might not have been possible otherwise. The use of electronica and the different effects it allowed was eye-opening too. All in all a very cool programme. 10/10. I might even watch it again, it was so good.

20 hours ago, Baltan said:

^^ Good thing you didn't mention it in Asoiaf General subforum...

People who get too worked up over that stuff are odd.

I also watched Get Out, which was fantastic. I regret not catching it in the theater. I also watched John Wick, which was excellent, and sort of makes me want to watch the matrix again.

Archived