Watch some TV/Movies and talk about it here.

Ramsay B.

Watched Atomic blonde last night. My hope was it would be an enjoyable John Wick knock off with a female lead. It wasn't. I would say that it was a total failure in everything it was trying to achieve, unless its goal was to make a movie that looked a bit like an advert and make sure Theron looked great in every scene. 

The plot was basically incoherent and unengaging, the director seemed to feel so smugly pleased with himself that he's been able to insert lots of shots of Charlize Theron looking cool , smoking, that he forgot to insert a story. 

Worst of all the fighting was deeply mediocre. Poorly shot action scenes which reminded me of Iron Fist in the way they were clearly pretty slow, not especially well choreographed and shot in a way that was designed to disguise the lack of skill. That she also screamed with every punch and seemed to be using some moves from an 80's women's self defence class hardly made it exciting. 

Im amazed it stuck with it till the end , it was pretty awful on the whole.

Also worth mentioning Comrade Detective on amazon prime. Doubt anyone has heard of it, but it's a Channing Tatum project where they supposedly remastered a long lost Communist era Romanian cop show.Except they didn't, its new and they have voiced over it. I was quite excited to see it as I hoped it would be hilarious. So far it's fine but difficult to really understand what they were going for. The only jokes I've seen have been about how Romanian health care is the best in the world, or everyone watching chess on tv. It's really missed a trick I think

WTF did I keep watching The Mist?  Awful show that got so much worse.  Good thing I fast forwarded through most of it.  I googled for reviews and found some right wing website that claimed, just from the pilot, that it was obvious left wing propaganda.  Given how things developed, I have to wonder if the writers of the show aren't alt-right rabid puppies, maybe even Vox Day his rabid self.

Spoiler
  1. The hippie atheist character became a fanatic praising whatever evil is behind the mist, incites violence against sinners, sacrificing a priest to Mist and then burns down the church with all those locked inside who wouldn't follow her to the mall to seek sacrifices to the mist.
  2. The gay teen planted evidence of a rape that didn't happen on the star quarterback, the gay teen murders his own asshole dad and apparently shoots dead the guy he wanted to be his real family (the dad of his best friend (who he made think was raped by the guy she likes)).
  3. Black guy mall manager murders white woman for catching him hording food, then blames it on the not-raped teen.

I'm sure their going to find a transgender character next to portray as evil.

It's hard to believe this show is meant seriously as a show the producers intend to be a success, rather than something to troll liberals with for a season before it gets cancelled.

Got bored and watched Blood Father with Mel Gibson and the new King Arthur film.

Blood Father was pretty good had some fun moments, didn't overstay its welcome and Gibson carried the film on his performance. King Arthur on the other hand was just crap and this is coming from someone who absolutely loves Lock Stock, Snatch and Rock'N'Rolla. Bad pacing, boring characters and turned into a ps3 game at the end.

The best bit was at the beginning and that's only cause the music was from that one good halo advert and so it brought back some nostalgia 

Watching The Last Tycoon on Amazon Prime. I am really enjoying this show. Kelsey Grammar is excellent in it as are most of the other actors. It's set in a different decade and centered on a different profession, but this show is seriously satisfying my Mad Men withdraw! Matt Bomer's Monroe Stahr seems one part Don Draper, one part Henry Cavil's Superman (which when mixed with some Draper actually makes the character compelling) and a dash of the creepy kid from American Beauty.

Been watching Orphan Black on Netflix. Don't want to enter its designated thread yet for fear of spoilers. Nearing the end of S3.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it, despite a few issues. Extremely addictive and I love how it treats and understands its characters and their situations.

Tatiana Maslany is extraordinary!

I watched The Dark Tower. I've never read the books so can't really compare it to them. It was OK, but felt a bit perfunctory, there's not a huge amount of depth or complexity to it. Idris Elba was good, the kid was fine, McConaughey felt a bit wasted with a one-note villain who seemed a bit bored for most of the film and most of the rest of the characters seemed to be expendable.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Watched Nocturnal Animals last night. Not bad. Kind of a cross between Hitchcock and David Lynch. If you watch it be prepared for one of the grossest openings of a film you'll ever see... :stunned:

Ha.  Now that you mention it I do recall that the opening to that movie was vile, but I have since (5 months) completely forgotten all of the details about it, so there's hope for you too.

On 8/19/2017 at 6:04 PM, Martini Sigil said:

Halt and Catch Fire.... tonight. 

yay.

Queueing that up in a few minutes.

On 8/20/2017 at 7:53 PM, Nictarion said:

If you watch it be prepared for one of the grossest openings of a film you'll ever see... :stunned:

Dude, you just don't get art.

I saw Wind River the other day and really enjoyed it. It had some great visuals, acting and an explosive ending. It was written and directed by Taylor Sheridan who also wrote Hell or High Water and Sicario. This guy is on fire right now.

Watched I Am Not A Serial Killler thought it was a great film, never felt bored, just the right amount of weird and tense and Max Records & Christopher Lloyd both gave strong showings.

Atomic Blonde was a fun if slightly overlong film, probably wouldn't rush to see it again but if it comes to netflix reverentially I'll likely end up watching the fight scenes another couple times.

Clouds of Sils Maria was a good film that I probably should have been soberer for but acting was good enough to keep my attention even if I did nearly drift to sleep a couple times.

Wind River is next on the to watch list but finding a nearby cinema is a bit of a struggle 

2 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

Watched I Am Not A Serial Killler thought it was a great film, never felt bored, just the right amount of weird and tense and Max Records & Christopher Lloyd both gave strong showings.

Atomic Blonde was a fun if slightly overlong film, probably wouldn't rush to see it again but if it comes to netflix reverentially I'll likely end up watching the fight scenes another couple times.

Clouds of Sils Maria was a good film that I probably should have been soberer for but acting was good enough to keep my attention even if I did nearly drift to sleep a couple times.

Wind River is next on the to watch list but finding a nearby cinema is a bit of a struggle 

I thought Atomic blondes fight scenes were pretty disappointing considering who directed them

On 21/08/2017 at 0:53 AM, Nictarion said:

Watched Nocturnal Animals last night. Not bad. Kind of a cross between Hitchcock and David Lynch. If you watch it be prepared for one of the grossest openings of a film you'll ever see... :stunned:

Hahaha I watched that film on a plane. I just kept hoping nobody would be looking from behind me. And it just goes on and on and on!

Very interesting film though.

On 21/08/2017 at 0:53 AM, Nictarion said:

That's pretty harsh. Unless you're agreeing with the director that it was an accurate representation of the way the rest of the world sees the US?

Watched Zodiac two nights ago, first time I'd seen it since I saw it in theaters 10 years ago. That's a really solid movie, though the third act focusing on Jake Gyllenhaal's character does drag some (also the lack of a climax is disappointing, but necessary considering it's still an open case). The first two acts are fantastic though.

Followed that up by watching Spotlight again last night; apparently I'm in an investigative mood. That's also a really good movie, though since it was in theaters only 2 years ago, I remember it a lot clearer. Also, even though Spotlight got more recognition (hello Oscars), I think Zodiac is a better movie. It's just more tense and the mystery is more compelling ("who did this thing?" compared to "how will they prove this quietly known thing?").

Archived