Watch some TV/Movies and talk about it here.

Ramsay B.

I saw the new Netlfix movie What Happened to Monday, starring Noomi Rapace. Not bad, it had the requisite tension one expects from dystopian movies, but also a pretty predictable plot. Rapace gave a pretty good performance, especially considering she played 7 different characters, with some differences between them.

I was taken out of the movie at one point, and I was ready to judge it harshly because of it, but I thought it got fixed later on, so my opinion improved.

Spoiler

When the goons showed up, and started shooting, murdering the doorman, I thought it was bullshit. This a dystopian society in some ways, but it also is a society of rules and laws. However, as the plot progressed, it was clear that there was little regard for human life, as the authorities probably had a license to kill (just another way to control population growth). This is reinforced by the big reveal regarding what they were doing with the siblings.

10 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

Watched I Am Not A Serial Killler thought it was a great film, never felt bored, just the right amount of weird and tense and Max Records & Christopher Lloyd both gave strong showings.

I read the book years ago and the movie was a pretty close adaptation. Actors did do a good job.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:31 PM, Ramsay B. said:

Dude, you just don't get art.

I saw Wind River the other day and really enjoyed it. It had some great visuals, acting and an explosive ending. It was written and directed by Taylor Sheridan who also wrote Hell or High Water and Sicario. This guy is on fire right now.

Think I'm going to see this over the weekend. Chris Stuckman was raving about it. Not that I need much convincing considering how much I loved HoHW & Sicario. 

22 hours ago, Fez said:

Watched Zodiac two nights ago, first time I'd seen it since I saw it in theaters 10 years ago. That's a really solid movie, though the third act focusing on Jake Gyllenhaal's character does drag some (also the lack of a climax is disappointing, but necessary considering it's still an open case). The first two acts are fantastic though.

Followed that up by watching Spotlight again last night; apparently I'm in an investigative mood. That's also a really good movie, though since it was in theaters only 2 years ago, I remember it a lot clearer. Also, even though Spotlight got more recognition (hello Oscars), I think Zodiac is a better movie. It's just more tense and the mystery is more compelling ("who did this thing?" compared to "how will they prove this quietly known thing?").

Zodiac is really memorable. The scene that really stands out to me after all these years is the scene where the serial killer walks up the couple at the lake in broad daylight and then slowly murders them.

On 8/13/2017 at 10:48 AM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Watched Atomic blonde last night. My hope was it would be an enjoyable John Wick knock off with a female lead. It wasn't. I would say that it was a total failure in everything it was trying to achieve, unless its goal was to make a movie that looked a bit like an advert and make sure Theron looked great in every scene. 

The plot was basically incoherent and unengaging, the director seemed to feel so smugly pleased with himself that he's been able to insert lots of shots of Charlize Theron looking cool , smoking, that he forgot to insert a story. 

Worst of all the fighting was deeply mediocre. Poorly shot action scenes which reminded me of Iron Fist in the way they were clearly pretty slow, not especially well choreographed and shot in a way that was designed to disguise the lack of skill. That she also screamed with every punch and seemed to be using some moves from an 80's women's self defence class hardly made it exciting. 

Im amazed it stuck with it till the end , it was pretty awful on the whole.

This whole film is a very unattractive package IMO. The trailer looked dreadful .

On 8/22/2017 at 3:31 AM, Ramsay B. said:

I saw Wind River the other day and really enjoyed it. It had some great visuals, acting and an explosive ending. It was written and directed by Taylor Sheridan who also wrote Hell or High Water and Sicario. This guy is on fire right now.

Wind River is one I am keen on seeing as well. Both of those other films are excellent and Soldado is a 2018 film that I really want to see.

On 8/22/2017 at 9:51 AM, Corvinus said:

I saw the new Netlfix movie What Happened to Monday, starring Noomi Rapace. Not bad, it had the requisite tension one expects from dystopian movies, but also a pretty predictable plot. Rapace gave a pretty good performance, especially considering she played 7 different characters, with some differences between them.

I was taken out of the movie at one point, and I was ready to judge it harshly because of it, but I thought it got fixed later on, so my opinion improved.

Hide contents

When the goons showed up, and started shooting, murdering the doorman, I thought it was bullshit. This a dystopian society in some ways, but it also is a society of rules and laws. However, as the plot progressed, it was clear that there was little regard for human life, as the authorities probably had a license to kill (just another way to control population growth). This is reinforced by the big reveal regarding what they were doing with the siblings.

I just finished watching this and thought it was pretty terrible.  As soon as they showed the

cryo device, my first thought was that is was a crematorium.  These dystopian movies are just all so clichéd.

Good news, Canucks, both seasons of Todd & The Book of Pure Evil is available for free on Youtube here.  The animated movie that'll wrap up the story is finally getting released.

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR SHITROOSTERS!!

1) In advance of the upcoming Canadian release of "Todd & The Book of Pure Evil: The End of The End: The Animated Feature Film" the ENTIRE FIRST TWO SEASONS of the series will be available FREE TO ALL OF CANADA only.

Sorry rest of the world, but you're not as cool as Canada...yet. Before you watch the film, you can catch up with the incredibly complex plot-lines and multi-dimensional characters here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsa_fj8udpwKRFiSfeSpSww

Haven't you always wanted to indoctrinate your friends into "Todd & The Book of Pure Evil" but couldn't quite explain the show, and didn't know how to find it? YOU WANNA MAKE A TODDIE? Well, now's your chance!

B) Then on Saturday Sept 2 at 1pm, the cast & creators of the show will be featured on a panel at Fan Expo in Toronto. Those lucky fans in attendance will be treated to a tasty little morsel of a sneak peek of the film.

iii) Then on Sunday, Sept 3, the film will have its World Premiere at the Scotiabank theatre in Toronto again with the cast & animation and sound crew in attendance. Keep your eyes open here or at Raven Banner Entertainment for a chance to win tickets!!

Fourthly) A full Canadian theatrical release will start at the end of September, rolling out across Canada, city by city, leading up to the VOD & special edition Blu-Ray release on Dec 12, 2017. Tell Raven Banner Entertainment that you want the film shown in your city and they'll get it there!!

More information for upcoming screenings, DVDs, Indiegogo perks, and non-Canadian fans to come soon!

Keep your eye-holes open for details!!

On 22/08/2017 at 8:56 PM, Ramsay B. said:

I read the book years ago and the movie was a pretty close adaptation. Actors did do a good job.

Is the book worth seeking out even if you already know the story beats and whatnot or does the film give you a good enough fill of the story?

1 hour ago, Talleyrand said:

Is the book worth seeking out even if you already know the story beats and whatnot or does the film give you a good enough fill of the story?

The film covers mostly everying if I remember correctly, but it is a pretty short read. I liked the next book in the series too called Mr. Monster. There is like 6 books in the series but I only read those 2.

1 hour ago, Talleyrand said:

The book is quite poorly written.  I liked the story well enough, but had zero desire to read further because of the writing.

I watched The Diary of a Teenage Girl the other day and really enjoyed it. It's a coming-of-age tale about a 15 y/o exploring her sexuality in San Fran during the 70's. The lead, Bel Powley, was absolutely wonderful and I hope I see her in more stuff. 

So Wind River absolutely blew me away. As far as the murder mystery part it's fairly straightforward, but it deals with some really heavy stuff involving Native Americans and how they deal with living on reservations in the modern day U.S. Taylor Sheridan is also becoming the king of writing suspenseful shootout scenes as far as I'm concerned. There's one in this movie that rivals the bridge scene in Sicario, imo. I'm pretty much going to see anything with his name attached going forward. This was basically his directorial debut too. I think he only has one other credit that was some low budget horror movie. Wind River hit me in the feels more than anything I've seen in a while. I got choked up a couple times at the end. Jeremy Renner gave an amazing performance. Hands down his best to date. I'll be shocked if he's not nominated for an Oscar. Elizabeth Olsen was really good as well. I can't recommend this movie enough.

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

^^ I knew you'd enjoy it. I like them having Gil Birmingham from HoHW in it too. He was great again in a minor role. 

He was great. I should have mentioned him as well. 

The scene at the end where he talks about not knowing how to paint a proper death face because there's nobody left to teach him broke my heart. That scene and the one in the hospital where Cory tells Jane there's no luck in a place like that and only the strong survive....those were the two that choked me up.

Need to give kudos to this thread, and it's previous iterations, for all the great TV that's been recommended, - and for pointing out the also-rans best avoided.

Had started watching Vikings when it first came out but never kept with it. So after hearing good things about The Last Kingdom and ,it being only at a couple seasons, I sought it out - and I wasn't disappointed. Enjoyed it immensely. All the characters, good & evil, are very likable, if you know what I mean. 

Then I read good things about Gomorrah so I sought that out. Jesus H Christ was it the wrong type of show to watch immediately after TLK! I hated the characters and saw nothing redeeming about any of them. But I stuck with it, and I'm glad I did. Comparisons to The Wire are apt. The first season was great, the second season even better. I still hate the characters - but what great characters! I might have have to seek out the Gamorrah thread to add some praise. The only gripe I have is that, travelling around Europe, I'm now inclined to give Naples as wide a berth as possible.

Now I read good things about Wind River and plan to go see it tonight.  

I watched the pilot of HBO's upcoming series(Sep 10, I believe) The Deuce after seeing it was available of HBO Go/Now. I thought it was quite good. Set the pieces on the board for the season quite well. Basically deals with the pre-Giuliani clean up Times Square of 1971 when it was a cesspit of prostitution, drugs and other associated crimes. Unsure of the larger plot. Typical David Simon: large, memorable cast of characters (and many of the recurring actors from his other series) dropped into a memorable setting. The pilot surely captured time and place.

We have finished all four seasons of Endeavour and now feel bereft. I think it might be the best thing we have watched all year. Goddamn, the seasons are so short though. I don't even know if there are going to be any more seasons. :(

Archived